Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's top U.S. female of the decade?

I was reading GH's topic about the top US man and wondered why we didn't have one for top US female?

I think is equally tough as some of the would-be contenders have disqualified themselves.

Would it be Sanya Richards or Allyson Felix? Stephanie Trafton-Brown to become the first US woman to win an Olympic throws title in how long? Who else is there to claim the title?

Re: Who's top U.S. female of the decade?

Originally posted by IanS_Liv
    I was reading GH's topic about the top US man and wondered why we didn't have one for top US female?

I think is equally tough as some of the would-be contenders have disqualified themselves.

Would it be Sanya Richards or Allyson Felix? Stephanie Trafton-Brown to become the first US woman to win an Olympic throws title in how long? Who else is there to claim the title?
    Tough choice between Sanya and Allyson. Steph was hardly a blip on the screen until Beijing. Sanya has been twice voted world's top athlete overall, but has individual Olympic bronze; while Allyson has never been ranked number 1 overall, yet she has 2 Olympic silver.

Comment

If we take OG/WC as important but not the sole mark of excellence, I have to go with Richards. Other than those two, the pickings are slim. Note that Dragila was AOY in 2001 and runner-up to Marion Jones in 2000, but Isinbayeva has blotted out our memory of any other vaulter.

Comment

Re: Who's top U.S. female of the decade?

Originally posted by IanS_Liv
        I was reading GH's topic about the top US man and wondered why we didn't have one for top US female? ...
        Because there's a dearth of good topics these days. Ergo, as with the top-scoring men and women, doing them separately and trying to finish one topic before moving on to another, so as to keep a steady flow of interesting material.

Comment

The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

AF has been in the top-10 one year longer (6 vs. 5), and has the same number of 1s and 2s (1, 1, 2, 2, 5, 7 vs 1, 1, 2, 2, 3), so I'll go with Felix.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
              AF has been in the top-10 one year longer (6 vs. 5), and has the same number of 1s and 2s (1, 1, 2, 2, 5, 7 vs 1, 1, 2, 2, 3), so I'll go with Felix.
              The AOY voting is the head-to-head comparison -- in that context it is not particularly close, I do not think. As much as I like Felix, she does not come out on top in this comparison.

Comment

Sanya, clear cut # 1, with Allison an equally clear # 2

Comment

Correct: in AOY voting (world) Richards has gone 1-1-8-9, which beats the crap out of Felix's 4-5-6

Comment

Originally posted by TrackDaddy
                    We Are Witnesses.

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve
                      Sanya, clear cut # 1, with Allison an equally clear # 2
                      Could Stacy Dragila slip in at #2, ahead of Felix? She was ranked #1 in the world twice herself. She might make a good case for challenging Sanya, because one of Stacy's top-ranked seasons was an Olympic season (2000).

Comment

i would prefer Alison's cold hard medals to Sanyas subjective rankins
                        i deserve extra credit

Comment

Allyson. Three consecutive gold medals in the 200 at WC and two consecutive silver medals in the 200 at OG at age 18 and 22 speak volumes. She has never focused on the jackpot, preferring the medals to the money. When the jackpot was available for the 200 in 2007, she ignored it and ended up winning 3 golds at the WC. She has been the premier 100-200-400 U.S. runner of the decade. Let's not forget she was a member of both the 4x100 and 4x400 relay teams in 2007, 2008, and 2009, even though a drop baton in the prelims prevented her from running in the finals of the 4x100 in 2008 and 2009. The only blip on the screen is the silver medal at the 2008 OG. Allyson "Prime Time" Felix is the choice.

Comment

We Are Witnesses.
                            To what?

Greatness personified in Ms. Richards.

When she's done we'll all look back in amazement at her remarkable career.

Being World Female Athlete of the Year TWICE at age 24...says it all.

Comment

Originally posted by ILoveTrack
                              Allyson.

She has never focused on the jackpot, preferring the medals to the money.
                              Umm...no disrepect intended but if she preferred medals over money why did she turn pro out of h.s. instead of running collegiate track?

Just asking.

Comment

Working...
                              X