Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mo Greene:Jamaica's sprint dominance will continue for years

FORMER 100 metres world record holder Maurice Greene believes the United States will have to wait for at least another five years before regaining their dominance in world sprinting.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sports/U ... ne_7328080
    Cows need love too

5 years is an eternity in the sprint game, and with the population gap, "logic" says U.S. will be back on top sooner than later, given the normal ebb and flow of things. As to 5 years ago, here's the top-10 ranked sprinters of 2005 to show how quickly people come and go:

2005 100 1 Justin Gatlin (US)
    2005 100 2 Asafa Powell (Jamaica)
    2005 100 3 Aziz Zakari (Ghana)
    2005 100 4 Dwight Thomas (Jamaica)
    2005 100 5 Michael Frater (Jamaica)
    2005 100 6 Francis Obikwelu (Portugal)
    2005 100 7 Leonard Scott (US)
    2005 100 8 Kim Collins (St. Kitts)
    2005 100 9 Marc Burns (Trinidad)
    2005 100 10 Ronald Pognon (France)

Comment

Simply one man's opinion, not a fact. Mo doesn't have a crystal ball :roll:
      on the road

Comment

Originally posted by Speedfirst
        Mo was a world record holder and he sees that. I can take you back to the very first great Jamaican sprinters and I see that. So that makes it two men's opinions with both being knowledgeable about the topic.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
          5 years is an eternity in the sprint game, and with the population gap, "logic" says U.S. will be back on top sooner than later, given the normal ebb and flow of things. As to 5 years ago, here's the top-10 ranked sprinters of 2005 to show how quickly people come and go:

History has never seen the likes of a Usain Bolt, thus the dominance will continue for years to come. Don't forget, Bolt is only 23.
          Cows need love too

Comment

23 with a injuryhistory of a 30 year old.
            Last 2 years offcourse have been really good, but age doesn't always tell the whole story.

Don't get me wrong, I hope he will be around for many many years.

Comment

Originally posted by Avante
              Mo was a world record holder and he sees that. I can take you back to the very first great Jamaican sprinters and I see that. So that makes it two men's opinions with both being knowledgeable about the topic.
              I don't care who you take me back to, doesn't make it fact, still opinions. 8-)
              on the road

Comment

Originally posted by jamaicantrackfan
                Originally posted by gh

History has never seen the likes of a Usain Bolt, thus the dominance will continue for years to come. Don't forget, Bolt is only 23.
                I thought Mo said Jamaica would continue to dominate, so you agree WHO is Jamaica

Still only an opinion.
                on the road

Comment

Jamaica has a staggering number of juniors that are willing to replace the upper echelon in the sport when the chance arises.. that being said... so does the US.. lol. Plus there will be an upsurge of other nations I think. The Russian are a coming in the women 400 clearly... Two rather impressive, some might even say 'Bolt-like' Europeans in the men 100 & 200. Lets not forget the Panamanian in the 200 who could very well be a force in the 100. Grenadia and Bahamas will be challenging in the men's 400 as soon as the next Olympics maybe. The hurdles are... well.. the hurdles. All in all... Exciting times are here.

Comment

I am sure that within the London OG, an unknown supertalent " à la MoGreene 1997" will set atomic 100m chronos.
                    And I also feel none of these 3 monsters (UB, AP & TG)will get the 100m gold in London.( Injuries, false starts...or failed doping tests :evil: )

Comment

Originally posted by 79.
                      I am sure that within the London OG, an unknown supertalent " à la MoGreene 1997" will set atomic 100m chronos.
                      And I also feel none of these 3 monsters (UB, AP & TG)will get the 100m gold in London.( Injuries, false starts...or failed doping tests :evil: )
                      You may well be right.

Bolt changed the game. I still think he will win in 2012 but there are 4 monsters on the horizon that have the capability of rising to the new echelon Bolt created in the 100 and perhaps even the 2.

There is one in particular who I think will finish second in London but we shall see.

Comment

This topic's gonna get ugly, so let me interject and ask that Pro-Jamaica longevity fans agree that Jamaica's current presence on the sprintletic landscape will be maintained for a very long time and that Pro-Jamaica Longevity Critics (in its most diplomatically correct context) agree that Jamaica will inevitably hit a trough soon enough. :wink:

Jamaican Fans are gonna use their former under-nourished track programme which is now approching its optimal potential and a proven wealth of talent , now able to be properly managed and the best youth programme in the world (sprintwise).

US folks are gonna point to the undeinable trends of statistics and their superior track programme (really the best in the world, mind you) and history of dominance which for the most part has been sustained.

There is noway this case is going to be tried on this forum and someone not get offended or banned.

Comment

Pelpa is right, this won't be tried on here. It will tried on the track thankfully and I am on record with a few others on here like speedfirst and 79. that there are some major young talents about to emerge. I think 2010 is going to be fun to watch which of these talents shines the brightest and takes the best aim at Bolt. Certainly he reigns supreme now and taking him down will take a herculean or other god like effort but what is everyone else supposed to do? The US ain't conceeding and everyone knows its harder staying on top than it is getting there.

GH what is the record for a sprinter to rank #1 most years apart in the 1 and 2? Or to have the fastest time most years apart?

Comment

Originally posted by Avante
                            I don't care who you take me back to, doesn't make it fact, still opinions. 8-)
                            Remember you said that after Jamaica rules the next Olympics in the sprints....ok?

Comment

Originally posted by westcoasttiger
                              Pelpa is right, this won't be tried on here. It will tried on the track thankfully and I am on record with a few others on here like speedfirst and 79. that there are some major young talents about to emerge. I think 2010 is going to be fun to watch which of these talents shines the brightest and takes the best aim at Bolt. Certainly he reigns supreme now and taking him down will take a herculean or other god like effort but what is everyone else supposed to do? The US ain't conceeding and everyone knows its harder staying on top than it is getting there.

GH what is the record for a sprinter to rank #1 most years apart in the 1 and 2? Or to have the fastest time most years apart?
                              Nobody will be taking Bolt down. At 23 he'll reign supreme for another 5/6 years then like all athletes do....age (from an ultimate abilities perspective, knowing the late 20's isn't ...age)...it will start with injuries and missing meets then losing to those he shouldn't be losing to, then he'll win, lose, win.....then ..fade.

Comment

Working...
                              X