Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back Problems

I just had an MRI and found out I've got a bulging disk. Anyone have any personal experience with or first hand knowledge of this injury?

Re: Back Problems

I haven't had experience with a bulging disk, but last season I missed the entire outdoor season with a stress fracture in my L5 vertabrae. I obtained it from pole vaulting. It didn't hurt where the stress fracture was though. All the pain was in the muscles throughout my lower back. The pain from back spasms was unbearable.

Comment

since you have been mean to Old satch ,I was going to reciprocate. But will just say hope you can resolve without surgery and further problems.

Comment

Abinferno, a "bulging disc" on the MRI is in itself pretty meaningless, as the majority of asymptomatic population beginning in the teens would have it (as an incidental finding, not necessarily representing injury). Important things are what symptoms have you got, what are the findings on the neurological exam., is there a history of injury to the back? What type of a physician are you seeing (somebody must have ordered an MR)?
        "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
        by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

I've got pain in the lower right side of my back, sometimes severe, usually constant, with more pain down the front of my right leg. I also have a history of what I can only assume is the same injury. I'm getting worked on by the rehab guys and the trainers. Supposed to see the doctor this week.

Comment

Do EVERYTHING you can to avoid surgery. I speak from first-hand experience.
            I had a bulging disk (actually 3 of them) and then fell down the stairs, breaking some bones, and herniating one of the disks very badly. It took a nasty surgery and 10 weeks of recovery before I could use my right leg with 100% control. I still have problems, but they are generally manageable. Three suggestions: Do lots of abdominal strengthening, swim regularly and lose weight if you have some to lose. Swimming especially can do wonders to relieve back pain.
            Also, avoid things that add shock to the back - e.g. jumping off something, lightly cushioned running shoes, etc.
            Check with your physician on these suggestions as I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV.

Comment

Where is the disc? From your distribution of pain it sounds like L3-4, perhaps L4-5. Does it protrude to the side where the pain is? What type of a physician are you going to see?
              by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

I suspect that they have examined your spine for any abnormal curvature and also ascertained that your legs are close enough in length that it wouldn't be a factor in causing the back pain. If that hasn't been done you might want to mention it to the physician.
                why don't people pronounce vowels anymore

Comment

The problem is actually in the L1-L2 area I believe, which is apparently pretty strange. The trainer said he'd never seen it before, and couldn't find a lot of information on it. The disk does protrude to the side with pain. I'm just hoping it will return to normal within 4-6 weeks, just in time for conference. If not, this season will be shot to crap.

Comment

L1-2 is extremely uncommon. From your posts it seems to me that you are a decathlete. To treat this kind of thing conservatively (highly preferable whenever possible) requires basically rest. I am afraid those few weeks you mentioned won't be enough. Bummer! Wish you the best.
                    by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Find a chiropractor with a sports medicine background (Applied Kinesiology). Or an Osteopath (D.O.). Either might be able to relive whatever is causing pressure without surgery.

Comment

I herniated L5/S1 doing something stupid in the weight room; pain in the back, pain down one leg. Could not squat or RDL more than 100 kg without being in excrutiating pain. Life is not over, however. It took about 18 months to resolve without surgery; lots of ab work, lots and lots of hamstring work (RDL's, back raises, one legged back raises, stability ball hamstring work, RDL's with dumbbells if the bar hurts too bad, etc). I also found that properly performed front squats did wonders for strengthening the whole area (I could not back squat, but I could front) and I think they made a major difference. Once the symptoms start to resolve take it very slow with exercises that could aggrevate it.

18 months later I'm still not squatting and RDLing what I was, but I'm doing 140 kg with both without symptoms...

Comment

<Find a chiropractor with a sports medicine background (Applied Kinesiology). Or an Osteopath (D.O.). Either might be able to relive whatever is causing pressure without surgery.>

Pure witchcraft.
                          by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

><"Find a chiropractor with a sports medicine background (Applied Kinesiology).
                            >Or an Osteopath (D.O.). Either might be able to relive whatever is causing
                            >pressure without surgery.>

Pure witchcraft."

Pego, at the risk of starting another 100 post rant-type thread a la the supplement one, I have to say that I had great success with a form of therapy that I'd previously classified as nonsense and witchcraft. About 10 years ago I started having terrible trouble with my neck. It would lock-up and I'd walk around like R2D2 for a couple of weeks. After about 5 years of this I got well and trully sick of it. It had been recommended that I go to a chiro but I'd always, at the advice of doctors, avoided them. I had been told of a form of treatment that didn't involve bone-crunching and, even though I thought it sounded ridiculous, decided to try it. It's called "direct non-force biokinesiology", basiclly press a load of acupunture points. My first session confirmed my opinion that it was a con (a great deal of "reading what your body is saying" psycho-babble and major attempts to sell me a supplement program). But, you know what? After 3 sessions it worked. I very rarely have trouble these days but when I feel it beginning to develop (as an athlete one becomes very attuned to recognising the signs)I have a couple of appointments and am fixed. I have no idea how it works but it does.

Comment

Mark, the chiropractors can work the kink out of your back, no doubt about it. That's the extent of it. The rest is, as you said, babble. Abiferno has a REAL pathology, high lumbar disc herniation (not "just a disc bulge"). It is next to cauda equina. That's far beyond any chiropractor's competence. For yours (or anybody's) reading pleasure.
                              http://www.quackwatch.org/
                              http://www.ncahf.org/
                              BTW, I don't want another "holy war" either :-)
                              by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Working...
                              X