Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BALCO just won't go away--now it's Duane Ross

see story on front page

Another top level trackster who passed all drug tests.
    It seems that passing the drug testing does not prove much. In fact, it seems that more top level athletes have been caught by other means than the actual drug testing. I am so cynical about it all at this point, that I actually believe that the majority of sprinters and hurdlers are using PEDs regardless of passing the drug tests.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacksf
      Another top level trackster who passed all drug tests.
      It seems that passing the drug testing does not prove much. In fact, it seems that more top level athletes have been caught by other means than the actual drug testing. I am so cynical about it all at this point, that I actually believe that the majority of sprinters and hurdlers are using PEDs regardless of passing the drug tests.
      Majority from where? Ireland?

Please keep the BALCO investigation results coming. The athletes who cheated need their day of public shame. I just wished they could have named all 3 athletes on the same day.

Comment

USA for one.
        - Crystal Cox, Marion Jones, Antonion Pettigrew, Duane Ross, Tim Mongomery, Maurice Greene, Alvin Harrison, Kelli White, Jerome Young, Dennis Mitchell . . .these were all very top level athletes. There have been so many top level sprinters who passed their tests, but still were discovered to be using PEDs, it is naive to think all athletes who pass a doping test are clean.

Comment

Another reason to consider PED legalization since it appears those who are using are passing the tests designed to undercover PED usage anyway.

Until the decison-makers start hitting the violators in their pocketbook, the standard issue punishments deter no one.

Comment

Duane Ross was one of the implicated athletes named by Angel Heredia three and a half years ago, so this 'news' is hardly shocking.

Comment

Cox was hardly a world beater, and I would certainly add Ellenwood to that list...so we should be critiquing "journeyman"/near elite ... in light of the most recent findings (who test negative, of course). Again, does your "enlightened" view extend beyond America (and the sprint/hurdles as you say) to say, Ireland (and the sprint/hurdles)? Because like Ellenwood and Cox...I can't remember any of the Irish sprint hurdlers testing positive, but there was ... Cathal Lombard... who was, wait for it ... an IRISH DISTANCE RUNNER WHO CONFESSED WHEN HE TESTED POSITIVE.

Comment

Originally posted by ndamix
                Until the decison-makers start hitting the violators in their pocketbook, the standard issue punishments deter no one.
                Especially 5,6,7 years after the actual violation.

Does this current spate of sanctions reflect the reality of the anti-doping situation today? Take CERA for instance where the A-D authorities were out in front of the situation. By no means is the situation perfect but Cox and Ross stopped competing when? 2007 and 2005 respectively. A bit of perspective is in order here, no?

Comment

Originally posted by bhall
                  Originally posted by ndamix
                  Especially 5,6,7 years after the actual violation.

Does this current spate of sanctions reflect the reality of the anti-doping situation today? Take CERA for instance where the A-D authorities were out in front of the situation. By no means is the situation perfect but Cox and Ross stopped competing when? 2007 and 2005 respectively. A bit of perspective is in order here, no?
                  So why does the punishment come so late if the violations occurred so long ago? Surely the system can't be that dysfunctional, or is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Jacksf
                    USA for one.
                    - Crystal Cox, Marion Jones, Antonion Pettigrew, Duane Ross, Tim Mongomery, Maurice Greene, Alvin Harrison, Kelli White, Jerome Young, Dennis Mitchell . . .these were all very top level athletes. There have been so many top level sprinters who passed their tests, but still were discovered to be using PEDs, it is naive to think all athletes who pass a doping test are clean.
                    Maurice Greene? Since when has he been proven to have used PED's?

Comment

Has not. It appears likely that he received PEDs; he admits paying Heredia. Anything beyond that is in the realm of speculation, at least for the time being.

Comment

None of this has stopped Trevor from coaching either. He is the Indoor T&F coach at the HS where his son graduated from and his daughter is still competing for.

Comment

how does a 2 year ban penalize him? he has not competed since 2005, he is almost certainly retired.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon
                            Duane Ross was one of the implicated athletes named by Angel Heredia three and a half years ago, so this 'news' is hardly shocking.
                            I thought the norm here was to not believe bad men and women who cheat, lie and then reveal all when it serves their purpose... that liars can never tell the truth.
                            Fire Impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by doug091463
                              how does a 2 year ban penalize him? he has not competed since 2005, he is almost certainly retired.
                              I think the key here is not the suspension but the nullification of results. One of the issues pertaining to PEDs is stats and records. Only baseball treats them with the same revernce we do, and their current angst is over the same issue. No, Ross didn't have much of an impact on the stat books, but I suppose you want to cross all your Ts and dot all your lowercase Js with the small cases so you're ready when a big one comes along.

Comment

Working...
                              X