Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FSU loses 2007 track title

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=4895204
    The university also gave up its 2007 NCAA Division I championship in men's track and field and NCAA tournament victories in women's basketball and baseball. It vacated 22 men's basketball wins from 2006-07, including two in the NIT; 16 women's basketball wins in 2006-07 and six more from 2007-08; and wins or meet placings in men's and women's cross country, men's and women's track and field, men's and women's swimming and diving and men's golf teams.

Under the penalty, the NCAA said it was up to Florida State to determine which wins were to be vacated.

Who finished second that year??? I know i could go look but i'm being lazy haha

Comment

LSU

Comment

1 Florida State 54
        2 LSU 48
        3 Auburn 34
        4 Tennessee 31
        5 Southern California 27

It's my recollection from the Arkansas sanctions that team places are not recalculated.

Comment

Vacated men's titles
          2004 Ark 65.5 2nd UF 49
          2005 Ark 60 2nd UF 49
          2007 FSU 54 2nd LSU 48

Comment

More details- http://nolesports.tallahassee.com/artic ... onal-title

Comment

I note that if and when a new winner is recognized, it is not a slam-dunk that the former # 2 moves up... it would be recalculated by the removal of all of the DQ'ed team's placers.

Comment

I wonder what the penalty really involves. Certainly FSU will not require Braman and his staff to return their bonuses (nor should they necessarily if this was a miss by the compliance office).

Comment

MEN’S CROSS COUNTRY: 2006 ACC Championship - 2nd Place to 3rd Place; 2006 NCAA Regional - 1st Place to 2nd Place; 2006 NCAA Championship – Maintain 30th Place; 2007 ACC Championship – 3rd Place to 6th Place; 2007 NCAA Regional – 2nd Place to 4th Place; 2007 NCAA Championship - 20th Place to 25th Place

WOMEN’S CROSS COUNTRY: 2006 No Adjustments; 2007 ACC Championship – Maintain Championship; 2007 NCAA Regional – Maintain Championship; 2007 NCAA Championship – 3rd to 4th Place

MEN’S OUTDOOR TRACK AND FIELD: 2007 ACC Championship – Maintain Championship; 2007 NCAA Regional – Maintain 1st Place; 2007 NCAA Championship – 1ST place to 2nd Place

WOMEN’S OUTDOOR TRACK AND FIELD: 2007 ACC Championship – Maintain 3rd Place; 2007 NCAA Regional - 5th place to 6th place; 2007 NCAA Championship – Maintain 14th Place

From the article cited above, it does not look like the title was vacated. Will the NCAA crown LSU or whomever moves up?

Comment

Originally posted by bhall
                    According to this article, FSU is not DQ'd as a team - they are merely subtracting points scored by the ineligible athletes. This seems silly to me - it' s either a team championship or it's not. Decisions were likely made by the teams in the hunt for the championship based on how things were playing out as the meet went on (e.g., relay personnel, race strategy, etc.). If FSU was using ineligible athletes, the team should be yanked entirely, no?

Comment

2007 NCAA Championship – 1ST place to 2nd Place

Comment

As for the vacated football wins, when Bobby was in the wins race with JoePa, this woulda mattered. Now it's a 'who cares?' deal.

Comment

I ran across this by accident - Does anyone have an idea regarding specifics?

Comment

Originally posted by KevinM
                            Originally posted by bhall
                            According to this article, FSU is not DQ'd as a team - they are merely subtracting points scored by the ineligible athletes. This seems silly to me - it' s either a team championship or it's not. Decisions were likely made by the teams in the hunt for the championship based on how things were playing out as the meet went on (e.g., relay personnel, race strategy, etc.). If FSU was using ineligible athletes, the team should be yanked entirely, no?
                            Seems a silly conclusion to me. If he is on the relay team they lose all the points, but otherwise you just remove the athlete. Sure, other teams strategies might have been different but so might FSU. In fact, if they had a big enough lead and held back some, maybe they would have won even without the implicated athletes. Why punish all of the other athletes when the school turned itself in?

Comment

I understand from Bill Ward of the Tampa Tribune that there will be a press conference or comment from FSU on Tuesday.

Comment

Working...
                              X