Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scott Sellers jumps 7'5.25" (2.27) Indoor HS Record!

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scott Sellers jumps 7'5.25" (2.27) Indoor HS Record!

I just left the meet 45 minutes ago and all I can say is Scott Sellers is awesome! This guy cleared 7'5.25" with daylight under him. He took attempts at 7'6" (2.29). His second and third attempts were extremely close. His third attempt he was over cleanly with about 7'7.75" height over the bar, but a trailing calf clipped it. I've never seen a High Schooler with such a sound technique. Very fast and handles the curve very well. Look for big things from him outdoors and next year!
    If you're ever walking down the beach and you see a girl dressed in a bikini made out of seashells, and you pick her up and hold her to your ear, you can hear her scream.

Re: Scott Sellers jumps 7'5.25

Thanks Dietmar... that:s awesome!

Comment

Another centimeter and he has the A-standard for Sacramento (he'll get in anyway, but that guarantees funding).

Comment

I had never seen him jump before today. However, I got a chance to talk with his coach briefly and found out that he had already jumped 7'5.25" earlier in the week during a school practice. So all of us knew that we were in store for something special. Even in the warm-ups with the bar set at 6'4" he looked as if he could have scissored over the bar on some of his popups. He also jumped smartly, by not jumping with gargantuan clearances over the lower heights. I was actually concerned as he skimmed over the bar at 7'0.5" and 7'2.5", but then I realized that he was just being conservative and setting us up for a major performance. I do believe he could be over 7'6" (2.29) this year. He was all but over that bar until the very end.
        If you're ever walking down the beach and you see a girl dressed in a bikini made out of seashells, and you pick her up and hold her to your ear, you can hear her scream.

Comment

Sorry, GH, but the funding is different now...
          and I quote:

<<The 2004 U.S. Olympic Team Trials - Track & Field funding policy is different from previous Olympic Trials. Funding is not based on qualifying standards. Athletes will receive funding to help defray their expenses if they have met one of the following criteria:

An athlete who is ranked in the top 50 in the world, according to the 2003 IAAF Performance List as of 12/31/03, and who has met the Olympic Trials qualifying mark in the same event during the Olympic Trials qualifying period (January 1, 2003 - July 1, 2004) will receive $1,000. The athlete must compete in the Olympic Trials to receive funding. These athletes will receive funds prior to the start of their event, however, if an athlete decides not to compete in the Olympic Trials these funds must be returned to USATF. Notification of the method of funds distribution will be provided at a later date.
          The top 12 finishers at the Olympic Trials, not previously qualified for funding based on their 2003 performance, will receive $1,000. These athletes will receive their checks after drug test results from the Olympic Trials have been received and confirmed.
          Athletes whose entry into the Olympic Trials is based solely on the "automatic qualification" provision are not eligible to receive funding based on the automatic qualification unless they have also met the criteria listed above.>>

Comment

Right you are! (wonder when theyslipped that one by me)

But the good news is that he is already has the IAAF-50 mark (2.25).

Comment

Scott is not just a face in the crowd, he has become the Best Seller in America, as there are over 49,500 people share the Sellers surname in the United States alone!

Yes, stupid pun intended!

Comment

That is hillarious. I'm making plans to see him compete again in N.C. at the outdoor championships. Well worth it I'm sure.

Comment

I'm I missing something here? As good as Sellers is, and he's plenty good, he doesn't have the Olympic A standard yet. He would have to win the trials to go if he doesn't jump it this spring. Are all veteran HJers just going to lay down for a high school junior? For one Andra Manson has proved he's a "money" jumper, Nieto has proved he's real, Austin can still jump, Hemingway,Harris and Woods have all jumped higher more often. Sellers' development would be better served learning what International competition is all about at the World Jr. meet, rather then risking sitting home at the trials. The trials might be the toughest competition in the world. He wouldn't be the first athlete to be blown out of the water in the pressure cooker of the trials(I know I'm mixing metaphors, horribly I might add). Can't we just wait until he grows up? This is threatening to become the next Alan Webb tread.

Comment

seems nieto isn't quite as real as you thought....look at the us high jumpers in the worlds...quite pathetic
                    1 381 Holm Stefan SWE 2.35
                    2 347 Rybakov Yaroslav RUS 2.32 (SB)
                    3 231 Mason Germaine JAM 2.25
                    3 324 Vasilache Stefan ROM 2.25
                    3 84 Bába Jaroslav CZE 2.25
                    6 29 Moroz Gennadiy BLR 2.25
                    7 403 Sokolovskyy Andriy UKR 2.25
                    8 212 O'Dwyer Adrian IRL 2.25
                    9 425 Nieto Jamie USA 2.20 (equivalent to a 7'2" jump, seems he can't handle the pressure) and all the other jumpers i don't see them up there either..hmmm...
                    his jump would have got him 3rd in the worlds opposed to nieto's disappointing 9th

Comment

Nieto still has at least 2 World Champs teams on his resume. Which means he was good enough to perform at Nationals. What chance does a high school "Rookie" have? It's a lot different jumping Internationally then it is at a HS meet where second place is more than half a foot behind you and you know you're going whip up on everyone. Are you saying he wouldn't have melted down in Brussels, too? He's good and he's hot right now, but so was Gail Olson once upon a time and he never made a USA team. If you think USA high jumping will be better served by an 11th grader, think again. Hopefully he will be the once and future king, but right now his development would be better served with the Juniors.

Comment

The one thing Sellers is going to have to learn to do is open at what at this point in his career would seem like an insanely high height.

Don't know where he usually starts, or started in this HSR meet, but ntoe that at Nationals last year (and at Sacto in '00) the starting height is 7-1 1/2 (2.17). That's a lot different than finding your groove at 6-8 or 6-9.

Comment

Wow, it is amazing how heated this discussion has gotten on whether or not he should go to the trials. However, this was not the purpose behind this post. I just wanted to inform you all of his accomplishments this past weekend. Whether or not he decides to compete in the trials is really not our decision. He hasn't even stated that he wants to. It seems premature to be having this discussion. Really, the point is, he is an outstanding jumper that hopefully can bring some excitement to the sport in years to come.

Comment

>Wow, it is amazing how heated this discussion has gotten on whether or not he
                            >should go to the trials. >>

No it hasn't! One guy suggested it was too much pressure and that's the extent of the "negative" talk. I suspect everybody wants him to go. My commentary about opening height wasn't meant to be critical; was just noting a problem that could be a major one if he's not prepared for it. (He started at 2.05 (6-8 3/4) in the record by the way)

Comment

We all want to see him do well and he will... in his own style and at a time when HE and his coaches decide to do so. He is the greatest American prep jumper ever, bar none, and only in 11th grade, so let him pick and chose his own goals. I said in a different thread that if he wants to just stay home and get a tan this summer we should all be supportive of that... and if he wants to go to Athens and can beat the older jumpers, then that is terrific, too.

As for GH's comments about starting at 7'1"-7'2" that is a realistic evaluation of a problem. As an old high jumper, my personal view is that such high opening heights sometimes are counter productive to best results. Some jumpers thrive opening at outrageous hts. but others need to find a rhythm at lower hts. for best results. If I recall correctly, when Yaschencko (the last straddle world record holder) jumped 7'8" at the USA-USSR Juniors Meet 30 years ago, he started at 6'8".

Comment

Working...
                              X