Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

USATF Indoors - Why have qualifying standards at all?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USATF Indoors - Why have qualifying standards at all?

Originally posted by Mighty Favog
    Title IX applies to any entity receiving "federal financial assistance".
    I googled and it appears that the USOC does not accept any federal funds (and I assume USATF isn't!)

To be clear, my beef with the men's pole vault at USA Indoors is not per se with the fact that they took vaulters below the qualifying mark. Their guidelines do say that they may take athletes close to qualifying. My issue is specifically with the following things:
    - On Saturday, these athletes were listed as NOT QUALIFIED. Now suddenly they are. If they had bought plane tickets in advance, they probably canceled them!
    - Accepting one athlete at 5.35 and not the other three.
    - The lack of consistency between what happens with the men and what happens with the women. If you're going to take 5 unqualified men, and go from a field of 8 to 13 (going 15cm below the standard), how is it fair to the ONE unqualified women to not take her, when she was only 10cm off the standard, and there are only 9 women in the event.

I know why these things happen... it's just disappointing. I thought maybe with Doug Logan as CEO and Stephanie Hightower as president, that we would see some actual change.

Comment

Working...
    X