Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hs Discus Thrower

im a highschool discus thrower, i was just wandering if any of yall out there knew of any tips that yall could give me on throwing in a full rotational spin. i throw about 170+ and im from texas, i am training for our state championship meet on may 5th. any advice would be well noted. thank you

Re: Hs Discus Thrower

I think that you should attend your English class more frequently.

Comment

A southerner was returning by airplane to Louisiana when she noticed how all the other passengers were very uptight. Turning to the passenger next to her, she attempted to start up a conversation. "Where y’all from?” she asked the middle aged women seated beside her. "I'm from a place where they do not end a sentence with a preposition,” the rather snooty northerner answered. Stopping to think for a minute, the belle rephrased her question. “Oh, I’m sorry, where y’all from, asshole?”

Comment

>im a highschool discus thrower, i was just wandering if any of yall out there
        >knew of any tips that yall could give me on throwing in a full rotational spin.
        >i throw about 170+ and im from texas, i am training for our state championship
        >meet on may 5th. any advice would be well noted. thank you

There is some good information, training advise, and pictures which demonstrate technique on these webpages;

http://www.elitetrack.com/highschooldiscus.pdf

http://www.elitetrack.com/cappos.pdf

http://www.elitetrack.com/discusthrow.pdf

Good luck...

Comment

Don't pay any attention to the idiots on this message board. There is a great throwers only message board called "The Ring" which has a tremendous amount of information for throwers. I am sure the gentlemen on the ring will have plenty of useful advice for you. The web address is as follows;

www.web-ster.com/kcarr/dischat.html

Comment

Yeah I mean i wasn't looking for an english lesson when i signed up on this board. I was just looking for some usefull info. But obviously we have people that are total losers and that have nothing else better to do. And thanx for the other guys who helped me out. Those sites help alot.

Comment

If you want my two cents, your English is better than the author of this athletics post:

http://somalinet.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... forum=90&6

Hey, I give the person all the credit (except for his stated 3-mile PR) for trying.

Comment

trackblue and all the other overzealous grammar police- how about you relax a bit. This board gets a bad rep by people always chiming in on grammar and spelling. It detracts from the experience of some users and even drives others away. If you can understand what the person is saying and they're obeying basic Internet etiquette then let them be. Message boards and email are often viewed as conversational modes of communication and are thus fraught with little errors. Accept them and move on.

Comment

BH - I agree with you up to a point, and this board is neither the time nor place to be pedantic, but . . . as an English teacher . . . I must (by English Teacher law) state the obvious: if you want to be taken seriously and accorded the respect of one who wishes to appear intelligent (and therefore worthy of debate), then you had better pay attention to what you say and how you say it. We judge people (rightly or wrongly) by how they present themselves. That's a fact - not an opinion. If you do NOT communicate with a general regard for the accepted conventions of modern language, you WILL be judged as less deserving of respect. So . . . if you want to elicit a considered response, you should pay SOME attention to how you present yourself, be it oral or written.

Now, that said, thank heavens we have the 'edit' feature, cuz I've typed some pretty foolish stuff myself [perhaps the above screed being an example].

Comment

We also dont use spell check an grammer check on every single sentence that i type. You dont have to sterotype people on their grammer, most people are in a hurry and use simple short letters to subsitute for the normal one. Example: You = u and are= r . Yall = you all. I would think a English teacher would know this...

Comment

Of the over 10 errors I see in your post, I have no problem with any EXCEPT this one:

"You dont have to sterotype people on their grammer"

and I don't mean the three obvious errors there either. I don't HAVE to 'stereotype' (which you use incorrectly here, but I get the gist of it, so 'no harm, no foul') you for your grammar, but I do necessarily infer your repect for your own usage of the language. In the context of this message board, you are 100% correct in assuming that we should be able to answer your question without narcing you out to the Language Police. And BH is correct at chastising those who chastise you (which you might see I have NOT done - I merely pointed out that you made some errors - no biggie), but . . . and this was my original point (which I belabor here): we SHOULD, in the normal course of events of our lives, try to present ourselves at our best, so that others will accord us the respect we deserve (I mean that in the individual sense, not the 'everyone deserves respect' sense). Just because BH is right about this board, should not be construed to mean that we should not ALWAYS strive to present ourselves in the best light.

This community service announcement brought to you by the National Endowment of Rhetorical Demagogues (NERDs). Thank you.

Comment

yes, but who thinks of presenting there selfs in the appropriate mannor, everyyy singlee time they type a message. i can understand where you come from, when trying to correct people, but keep it in your class room not on a board that has nothing to do with English 101...

Comment

Hmmm, I think you missed my point, but nevertheless you are correct about the purpose of this board. I was hoping to impart some greater truth, but . . . BTW - the world is my classroom - I learn on a daily basis.

Back to discus - are you familiar with John Powell's video? That's the best I've seen. There's also the "E-store" link at the top of this page that has a good British book on discus. Good luck!

Comment

for what it is worth...without seeing what the faults in your technique may or may not be it is very difficult to say what you should or should not do so i would take much of what you see and read with a grain of salt and try to apply the information you gather to what you already do technically...never the less...if you think of the rotational technique working much like a gate (hinges on one side) this may help...at the start you want the hinges over your left foot with your right side swinging around your left...in the middle (when the right foot lands)it is the opposite where you want the "hinges" over your right foot..at this time you do not want to think of swinging your left side around your right though..you want the rotation of your right side to place your left into position...takin into account minor differences at the time of release of the discus your chest should be somewhere over the middle to the heal of your left foot so your right hip and knee can rotate fully...of course these are just some basic things i feel are important...and this applies best if you are a right handed thrower...just "swap" feet if you are a lefty...so much for not getting wordy...GOOD LUCK THIS SEASON....and apparently i have a punctuation/capitalization problem...

Comment

TAFNUT - get a life. You're probably reading the message board when you ought to be in class.

Comment

Working...
                              X