Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Hasay, and others like her, won't make London in 2012

Now y'all know I'm her biggest supporter on these boards so do not think for one second that this is going to be anything negative.

I'm of the opinion that at her age and experience level the only way she'll make the team is to turn pro at the end of next year and train with Salazar.

What say ye my Comrades of the pen and opinion? Go with the Pro or stay with flow?

Re: Why Hasay, and others like her, won't make London in 2012

That's the worst idea I've heard in a long time. She's a very young 18. Let her enjoy college.

Comment

why would you feed a good prospect to the wolves, she is not ready for the pro's she was only 16th in NCAA, so what do you think would happen if she was racing t. dibaba (or even her sisters) defar, cheruiyiot, masai. in the USA we have some sprinters that can go pro early, but not any distance runners, if hasay did run professional IF she is able to get in the meets, she would be far behind, if she ran a 5k in 15:20 for 5k that would be great, but she might get lapped in a 5k and then people will say she was good in high school.

i think she has a bright college career ahead of her, i think she will be a multi all american, she may even win a NCAA title or 2 and then at the end of college she could compete professionally at least presumably she will be better able to compete at that level then she is now.

i think she has good people in her corner who understand she is a very good prospect who could someday be as good or better than kastor k. goucher, flanagan etc. and from interviews she seems to know she can be very good, but she is not yet there.

i see on lets run all the time telling her to turn pro, what is it with this girl that everyone wants to see her put in way over her head, i dont remember polly plummer, alisa harvey, sarah bowman, kim gallagher or any other high school female distance star (mary decker in high school was before my time) getting as much media both as a positive in saying she is doing well, and the negative where everyone wants her to be put in against people she is not ready for.

SHE CAN BE GOOD, LET HER HAVE TIME TO DEVELOP.

Comment

She is in good hands, leave her alone.

Comment

Barringer

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf
            Zackly what I was thinking. She may or may not make some noise in London, but it will NOT because of her coaching. She needs a LOT more experience running against the Euro/African women.

Comment

No reason why she can't be in college and train with Salazar. Just ask Galen Rupp. Or if she doesn't choose to train with Salazar, she could still make the Olympic team. Just ask Andrew Wheating. She's in the right place.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                Originally posted by lonewolf
                Zackly what I was thinking. She may or may not make some noise in London, but it will NOT because of her coaching. She needs a LOT more experience running against the Euro/African women.
                Yes, plus we need to get away from this foolish idea that ALL that matters in a career in an Olympic gold medal.

Comment

Originally posted by kuha
                  Yes, plus we need to get away from this foolish idea that ALL that matters in a career in an Olympic gold medal.
                  Correct, since we all know that what matters most is that she should do what WE think she should do!

Comment

So she should do as Alan Webb did?

Comment

Hehehe... I remember five years ago when she burst onto the scene. Fresh faced and ready to roll.
                      She believed she didn't have a finishing kick, didn't need rest and almost always set a fierce pace to start a race.

When ever she faltered these boards at times were a little less than kind in their speculation and finger pointing. Turns out sometimes her excitement would get the better of her or she'd run slightly injured, sick or tired and didn't to tell anyone.

Rethinking my reasons and looking back at our young up-and-coming track stars I may have been a little hasty with my 'opinion.'

I think we've all noticed the resurgence of our sport in this country on both sides of the gender line.

At this point the biggest obstacle to making the 2012 Olympic team our young runners face would be our older runners. (Older being a relative term I'm afraid. Mid-20s? Older? Oh boy...)

Comment

Originally posted by kuha
                        . . . we need to get away from this foolish idea that ALL that matters in a career in an Olympic gold medal.
                        Even if that were not a foolish idea, the Olympic medal she should realistically be aiming for would not be one in London.

Comment

i think hasey needs to move up in distance...

there are way too many, more than 3, americans, who'll whupp hasey is a last lap....

5k for hasey is more her race..

and with the likes of sveinsonn emerging, unless she goes iceland, there's another precocious talent figting for 3 slots..

Comment

unless she goes iceland,
                            With a number of key advantages, Sveinsonn should (declare for Ice).

Comment

Working...
                            X