Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too few black coaches in Div. 1 T&F

Why the lack of black track coaches in NCAA division 1 track & field? There are enough talented minority coaches out there to get a shot at the big chair. What's up with that?

Re: Too few black coaches in Div. 1 T&F

I thought there where quite a few Black coaches and some very good ones at some of the best programs, like J.J Clark at Tenn., Bev Kearny at Texas, Curtis Fry at SoCaro. Leroy Burrell at Houston and Florida has a black coach (i forget hes name right now) so does UCLA ... and there are plenty of others across the nation

Comment

As one (in the minority) that still appreciates Affirmative Action, I think there are many qualified Caucasians who feel they did not get a job, simply because they weren't 'ethnic' enough. I believe that most of the top programs are eager to add qualified minorities, especially as role models for their minority athletes. The whole issue should be a non-starter, because we are being racist in making these distinctions. We are all racists; it's just a matter of how we deal with it (not to start that firestorm).

Comment

Speak for yourself I am not racist even the slightest

There are several black head coaches and assistant coaches in the US.

For example, Harvey Glance University of Alabama. He is probably earning 75-85 thousand dollars a year. One of the reasons he got the job in the first place was Title IX (although he would not agree about this of course), but he deserved to get it. He is a real motivator.

Comment

why does it always seem to come down to color, why do people keep bringing this kind of stuff up. Everyone wants the racism gone, but people like this just keep bringing it up!
          Who cares if you are black, white, red, or green, it doesnt make you a better coach if you are one of these colors!!!!
          In that case, why aren't there alot of white basketball coaches?

Comment

And why aren't there more white sprinters ? Let's make it obligatory for schools to have at least 50% of white guys/gals on their sprint teams...
            Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Time to yank the thread. It will devolve further.

Comment

>Time to yank the thread. It will devolve further.

I agree. This question of racial representation isn't really track-specific -- this complaint has been aired across the spectrum of all ncaa sports, and pro sports too. This debate better belongs on a political board.
                "Run fast and keep turning left."

Comment

Black head coaches in just the SEC and Pac-10 (by no means a complete list, just off the top of my head):
                  Holloway - Florida
                  Frye - South Carolina
                  Clark - Tennessee
                  Glance - Alabama
                  Spry - Auburn
                  Bolden - UCLA
                  Kearney - Texas
                  Harvey - Arizona
                  Weir - Stanford
                  Floreal - Stanford
                  Huffins - Cal

Comment

A coach:s color has nothing to do with how well that coach will develop the talent s/he receives from transfers and new faces each season.

Will a black athlete chose a school with a black head coach simply because the head coach is black? Or will the black athlete choose the best program to fit his/her educational and athletic development goals? Look at Phillip Reid, for example: Decent 1,600m and 3,200m at Rio Mesa, and now a Cal Poly SLO athlete leading his conference with a 3.51 1,500m. Coached by a white coach, and attending a predominantly white college.

Steve Lewis claimed racism when his college coaching experience came to a hault, but that can have many underlying reasons behind that. Another successful black coach not mentioned is Andrew Valmon. And look at what Brooks Johnson has done for track and field not only at Stanford and SLO, but as a whole.

Comment

Mr. Lewis is currently working again in athletics at EMU (incredibly so, after his public rant the day after he was fired). And yes, there were numerous circumstances involved in his dismissal. Those of you who know him understand, those who worked with him know even more.

Comment

Helen... thanks for the update... That is incredibly interesting for Steve Lewis. I don t know him personally, but competed against him two seasons in high school in the Mission Valley Athletic League while he was a student at American High School.

Comment

A friend pointed out that I left out Wayne Norton of Georgia from the SEC coaches list.

Comment

The NCAA's dirty little secret is that there IS a lack of minority representation in the coaching ranks in the NCAA. Track & Field is unfortunately no exception. Yes, there is minority representation — but when you look at the PERCENTAGE of minority coaches it is rather small. And the comparisions on this board regarding athletic participation (i.e. "white sprinters") to the coaching/management issue is just silly. Athletes—all athletes —win or lose on their own merit, while applicants rely on the subjective, biased views on employers, including universities and athletic departments. I stand by my earlier statement.

Comment

A fact of life is that there are not very many D1 track coaching jobs out there, there seem to be fewer all the time as programs are dropped, and the turn over is not great in those positions that remain. So, until the baby boomers really start to retire en masse the D1 coaching profession will probably be a largely white male domain.

Comment

Working...
                              X