Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Mitch Potter Bandwagon

Hmmmmmm...
    I'm glad they didn't engrave that 400m gold medal before the NCAA's.

Re: The Mitch Potter Bandwagon

Gee, let me see. An NCAA indoor plaque to hang in Minnesota:s trophy display or a possible 4x400m Olympic gold medal for his own trophy case? Give the guy a break... he came back to earth after his phenomenal 2003 outdoor season to help MN run tough and set a school record in the 4x4. How many others athletes ran 44,8 or swifter on their anchor legs at NCAAs or the WICs?

He is shooting for some serious post-season action in the Olympic Games, and I do not think he feels defeated by his not having won the NCAA indoor title.

As I stated earlier on another thread, he, along with others in his shoes, had this ahead of them when 2004 started:

IND invites
    IND conference
    IND national prelims
    IND national finals
    OUT invites
    OUT conference
    OUT regionals
    OUT national prelims
    OUT national finals

THEN USATF

prelims
    semis
    finals

Indoor gold medal aspirations? If he could muster it up with his current training regime and schedule, great. I don t think he was heartbroken by not grabbing the title, though.

Comment

Good post.

However, are you sugesting that Mitch put his individual aspirations ahead of teamwork?

You're not suggesting that he has a chance at representing the US in the 400, are you?

Comment

>Good post.

However, are you sugesting that Mitch put his individual
        >aspirations ahead of teamwork?

You're not suggesting that he has a chance at
        >representing the US in the 400, are you?

I believe Mitch put his best on the line in the open and in the relay (4x4). He ran his best in both events, and in the latter, his teamwork resulted in a better overall placing than did his individual effort. I don t think it would have been fair to ask Mitch to be in outdoor 44,58 shape for the NCAAs.

Should he be fortunate to make the USATF 400m final, he has just as good a shot as any of the finalist. If not, he may be able to return to inernational comp and serve relay duty. He was the Pan Am 400m champ last summer, so the guy has gotten some good racing and experience in over the past year.

Comment

I think Mitch Potter will make the US team in the 400. I think the whole event is going to be turned upside down. If I'm wrong, all those who disagree can say "I told you so" and I'll accept it silently.

Comment

If memory serves, I saw an article saying Potter competed all of last year with a hiatal hernia that caused his throat to close up in races. (He got surgery after the 2003 season.)

Talk about oxygen debt...as if the 400 wasn't bad enough by itself!

Comment

Hope this goes through okay. Love their summer jobs, especially Steele...telling the Hell's Angels where they have to park in Sturgis--does that qualify for risk pay?

http://www.gophersports.com/feature/fea ... _id=mtrack

Comment

Brian - thanks for the article... it answers our questions, gives great insight and closes the book on this subject.

Comment

The 400m on a 200m indoor track is a very tactical race; the fastest guy doesnt always win. Not to mention Mitch probably ran a dozen other races last weekend.

Comment

3rd place in the heat one of the 400m (46.73) and the 4x400m final (44.8 anchor).

Comment

Working...
                    X