Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Track & Field Channel

OK, lets just say our dream comes true and we get a track & field channel (TFN?). Who would be your choice(s) for the Prime Time Anchor?

Re: Track & Field Channel

ooops,I thought my post didn't take...

Comment

Tom Hammond...NOT! Marty Liquori, Larry Rawson would be good. Verne Lundquist is not bad at track. Dwight is always very good. Carol Lewis, too.

Comment

The guy that anchored the coverage of the L.A. Marathon this year and used to have a show on cable covering road races... I'm drawing a complete blank... What is his name??

Comment

All the T&F staff guys would do a good job, so why select one over the other.

Bob Hersh would be nice, but we might want to save him for play by play....

Since I'm in Philadelphia, I caught Vicki Huber do a two hour recap on the Friday night of the Penn Relays.

She had a nice camera presence and has the feel for track and field.

By the way, she just won the recent Race Against Breast Cancer race here in Philadelphia.

Comment

>Tom Hammond...NOT! Marty Liquori, Larry Rawson
            >would be good. Verne Lundquist is not bad at
            >track. Dwight is always very good. Carol Lewis,
            >too.

Most track announcers on North American TV should not be allowed to have a microphone. There are exceptions, but we're stuck with a bad group. Couldn't we import someone from the BBC, or an Aussie or a Kiwi?

What about content? I'm sure our fantasy channel would broadcast infomercials about 12 hours a day, but what else? A movie a week, like on ESPN classic (there are TONS at www.runningmovies.com), some old footage too. With a lot of reruns, you might actually fill up a whole day -- especially if you got a Eurosport feed for the non-Golden League meets.

Comment

>All the T&F staff guys would do a good job, so
              >why select one over the other.>>

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I've got to tell you, doing TV is no easy task. I can only say this by inference, becuase the closest I've come is doing voice-overs for IAAF videos, but after thousands of hours behind a mike in stadiums, it's not remotely the same thing. I have admiration for most of the people who do anything on TV, even the mediocre ones.

Comment

I always thought that Vic Holcheck (sp?) sounded great on the old 800-948-7225. Does he still do radio? He seems like he'd be a great TV anouncer.

Comment

>>Tom Hammond...NOT! Marty Liquori, Larry
                  >Rawson
                  >would be good. Verne Lundquist is not
                  >bad at
                  >track. Dwight is always very good.
                  >Carol Lewis,
                  >too.

Most track announcers on
                  >North American TV should not be allowed to have
                  >a microphone. There are exceptions, but we're
                  >stuck with a bad group. Couldn't we import
                  >someone from the BBC, or an Aussie or a
                  >Kiwi?

exactly.

Comment

Phil Ligget!

Comment

kind of surprising OLN doesn't do more running related material...

Lawson does a nice job...

personally, I think it's the way t&f gets packaged by espn and nbc...

Comment

Didn't OLN have the Golden League meets a few years ago when ESPN elected not to carry them? I'm thinking it was back around 1998, 1999 or 2000. At the time, my cable provider din't carry OLN, so I was out of luck.

Even with ESPN carrying the Golden League this year, OLN could have a great series with the GPI and GPII meets using the European television feed. Who has the connections to pitch it to them?

Or am I just dreaming?

Comment

Come to think of it, it may have been Fox Sports World and not OLN . . .

Comment

I have always liked Tom Hammond. He is a very elegant play by play man, who doesn't say stupid things, unlike some other American broadcasters. I am surprised at the track community's dislike of Tom Hammond. This looks like "us track guys and no one else mentality" at it again.

Comment

There's more than just the insider/outsider mentality at work here, IMHO. People are also shooting the messenger becuase they don't like the message. In this case, TV doesn't do a very good job, in general, or presenting a track meet so that a track nut likes it. We want nothing but action-action-action. Clearly, the networks feel (know?) they can't sell that, so they have to do it antoher way. But I digress...

I wasn't impressed with Hammond's early work on track, but I know from having talked with him that he works hard on his craft and has studied the sport quite a bit through the years and now does a very good job. You just have to appreciate the context in which he works (which isn't his choice).

Comment

Working...
                              X