X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Re: Track & Field Channel

I think OJ is available...

Dwight is the guy, he knows our sport inside out, is honest (eg: saying the shot was a let-down yesterday), and can explain technique, history, tactics etc. I'm actually warming to Carol for the same reasons. As a Brit in the States I can't emphasise enough how awful the coverage is here compared to Europe. I have given up hope for T&F on TV here, it simply does not fit into the culture.

BTW...I use OJ, pre-trial, as an example of how bad it can get here. I heard him commentating on an indoor meet in the late 80's early 90's (?) and laughed out loud at his ignorance of T&F.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

>C'mon Gar! I'm shocked that a hardcore fan like
    >you would defend a clown like Hammond. Isn't it
    >obvious that he knows virtually nothing about the
    >sport and simply reads a script when he offers
    >"insights" about the events and athletes? Can
    >you imagine an announcer who knows nothing about
    >basketball reading aloud a bio of Shaq or Kobe,
    >or announcing that the object of the game is to
    >put the ball through the hoop?

Explain Brent Musberger.

I don't find Hammond all that bad.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

C'mon Gar! I'm shocked that a hardcore fan like you would defend a clown like Hammond. Isn't it obvious that he knows virtually nothing about the sport and simply reads a script when he offers "insights" about the events and athletes? Can you imagine an announcer who knows nothing about basketball reading aloud a bio of Shaq or Kobe, or announcing that the object of the game is to put the ball through the hoop? I suppose Hammond is there to appeal to non-fans, and he may (see prior post). But I loathe him.
    Carol Lewis is atrocious too. Yesterday she made so many mis-statements that she had to include "excuse me" in every sentence.
    Thank god the networks usually see fit to have at least one announcer who knows what he's talking about, like Stones.
    I thank Anon for reminding us of Vic Holcheck (sp?). That guy was great.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    Administrator

• gh
    replied

There's more than just the insider/outsider mentality at work here, IMHO. People are also shooting the messenger becuase they don't like the message. In this case, TV doesn't do a very good job, in general, or presenting a track meet so that a track nut likes it. We want nothing but action-action-action. Clearly, the networks feel (know?) they can't sell that, so they have to do it antoher way. But I digress...

I wasn't impressed with Hammond's early work on track, but I know from having talked with him that he works hard on his craft and has studied the sport quite a bit through the years and now does a very good job. You just have to appreciate the context in which he works (which isn't his choice).

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I have always liked Tom Hammond. He is a very elegant play by play man, who doesn't say stupid things, unlike some other American broadcasters. I am surprised at the track community's dislike of Tom Hammond. This looks like "us track guys and no one else mentality" at it again.

Leave a comment:

• bkotch
    replied

Come to think of it, it may have been Fox Sports World and not OLN . . .

Leave a comment:

• bkotch
    replied

Didn't OLN have the Golden League meets a few years ago when ESPN elected not to carry them? I'm thinking it was back around 1998, 1999 or 2000. At the time, my cable provider din't carry OLN, so I was out of luck.

Even with ESPN carrying the Golden League this year, OLN could have a great series with the GPI and GPII meets using the European television feed. Who has the connections to pitch it to them?

Or am I just dreaming?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

kind of surprising OLN doesn't do more running related material...

Lawson does a nice job...

personally, I think it's the way t&f gets packaged by espn and nbc...

Leave a comment:

• BBCAC Alum

• BBCAC Alum
    replied

Phil Ligget!

Leave a comment:

• magpie

• magpie
    replied

>>Tom Hammond...NOT! Marty Liquori, Larry
    >Rawson
    >would be good. Verne Lundquist is not
    >bad at
    >track. Dwight is always very good.
    >Carol Lewis,
    >too.

Most track announcers on
    >North American TV should not be allowed to have
    >a microphone. There are exceptions, but we're
    >stuck with a bad group. Couldn't we import
    >someone from the BBC, or an Aussie or a
    >Kiwi?

exactly.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I always thought that Vic Holcheck (sp?) sounded great on the old 800-948-7225. Does he still do radio? He seems like he'd be a great TV anouncer.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    Administrator

• gh
    replied

>All the T&F staff guys would do a good job, so
    >why select one over the other.>>

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I've got to tell you, doing TV is no easy task. I can only say this by inference, becuase the closest I've come is doing voice-overs for IAAF videos, but after thousands of hours behind a mike in stadiums, it's not remotely the same thing. I have admiration for most of the people who do anything on TV, even the mediocre ones.

Leave a comment:

• jsquire

• jsquire
    replied

>Tom Hammond...NOT! Marty Liquori, Larry Rawson
    >would be good. Verne Lundquist is not bad at
    >track. Dwight is always very good. Carol Lewis,
    >too.

Most track announcers on North American TV should not be allowed to have a microphone. There are exceptions, but we're stuck with a bad group. Couldn't we import someone from the BBC, or an Aussie or a Kiwi?

What about content? I'm sure our fantasy channel would broadcast infomercials about 12 hours a day, but what else? A movie a week, like on ESPN classic (there are TONS at www.runningmovies.com), some old footage too. With a lot of reruns, you might actually fill up a whole day -- especially if you got a Eurosport feed for the non-Golden League meets.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

All the T&F staff guys would do a good job, so why select one over the other.

Bob Hersh would be nice, but we might want to save him for play by play....

Since I'm in Philadelphia, I caught Vicki Huber do a two hour recap on the Friday night of the Penn Relays.

She had a nice camera presence and has the feel for track and field.

By the way, she just won the recent Race Against Breast Cancer race here in Philadelphia.

Leave a comment:

• runtoo

• runtoo
    replied

The guy that anchored the coverage of the L.A. Marathon this year and used to have a show on cable covering road races... I'm drawing a complete blank... What is his name??

Leave a comment:

Working...
X