• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EPelle
    replied
    Re: XC Champs

>I'm willing to be bought, and will happily change my name to Mohammad
    >el-Kuhatani.

With all of the name changing and new Qatari nationals, I wonder if it is possible one or more of these athletes will be prevented from entering the USA based on name association with suspected bad guys.

Leave a comment:

• kuha
    replied

For whatever it's worth, last night I watched a tape of the 1984 World Cross race. In 20 years, times have changed just a tad. In '84 no Kenyans or Ethiopians were in the top group--which was all Euro-type guys (Lopes, Hutchins, Jones, Porter). Porter was incredibly gutsy--leading just about the entire way and really pushing the pace (first mile 4:19) before getting outkicked in the last kilo. The team race was between the US and Ethiopia, with the US just getting edged out. The top 2 US guys finished 4th (Porter) and 6th (Eyestone). Ah, the good old days!

Leave a comment:

• Powell
    replied

"This is our best team result ever in the Men’s Short race (6th)
    >and also our best ever
    individual placing (Kevin Sullivan 17th). First non
    >African country!"

Free geography lesson: Qatar is not in Africa (although its runners are all Africans).

Leave a comment:

• Powell
    replied
    Re: World XC Champs - Brussels

The shock of the championships for me was the bronze medal in the men's long race for Eritrea. Kifle and Tadesse had not been unknown, but theit team never showed that kind of depth before. Incredibly, the 4th best Eritrean was ahead of the 4th best European :-o Who knows, in a few years they may be a serious threat to Kenya and Ethiopia... maybe they'll try to get Meb Keflezighi back, too :-p

Leave a comment:

• EPelle
    replied

I wonder if that US 1000/month for life for Shaheen is going to change now that Qatar is not going to get OLY dividends on their investments until at least 2008.

Leave a comment:

• Asterix
    replied

(Since they're all required to change their names after
    >becoming Qatari, I can't tell how much of the team is actually Kenyan. Does
    >anyone else out there know?

4th place Hassan (also placed 4th in the Paris 10,000) is the runner formerly known as Albert Chepkurui.
    5th place Shaheen is the runner formerly known as Stephen Cherono.

There may be others as well.

None will be able to run in Athens.

Leave a comment:

• EPelle
    replied

How much would Olsson get paid for changing his name from Christian to Mohammed?

Leave a comment:

• kuha
    replied

I'm willing to be bought, and will happily change my name to Mohammad el-Kuhatani.

Leave a comment:

• trackstar
    replied

I'm surprised that no one has yet commented on the fact that Qatar bought themselves a second-place in the men's short course team race -- ahead of Kenya!

Free-agency wreaks havoc in yet another sport ... maybe we need salary caps? :-)

(Since they're all required to change their names after becoming Qatari, I can't tell how much of the team is actually Kenyan. Does anyone else out there know? Perhaps that would be an interesting "highlight item" in the next eTN.)

Leave a comment:

• kuha
    replied

The Oly 5 & 10 WILL be something this year. The big question is: will Bekele double? So far, the word seems to be that he won't. If that's true, I'd have to think that the Ethiopian federation will "give" Geb the 10 and assign Bekele the 5. If Bekele doubles, he could well win both, but I agree with those above who aren't counting Geb out of it. It would be amazing if Geb could win 3 10s in a row, with or without Bekele to contend with. Re: Bekele's talent, I've stated before that if anyone currently active can run 12:33, it's him. I also think he can run under 26:10, and possibly give 26 flat a scare... I just hope I can be there when one or both of these happen. The guy is just frightenly good. It was a psyche to see him for the first time at Lausanne last summer. He's remarkably small--but a giantkiller once the gun goes off...

Leave a comment:

• Cyril
    replied

Epelle-

The ability to unleash with devastation is a quality required for a champion. Very rarely do we see a track championship won from outside 400 m. El G is a big exception because of his phenomenal ability over the entire distance.

Bekele (like Geb) also has a unique ability to be able to kick very fast off of a very fast pace which he can set himself. However, if someone with an equal or better finish (Geb?)is sitting on his shoulder into the last 400 the one doing the stalking is at a big advantage. They may decide to share pacing from 5 to 9k to break the field - then best man for himself - or maybe Bekele will simply run the 5 and Geb the 10?

Leave a comment:

• EPelle
    replied

Cyril: Sit and pounce are exactly the best words to describe Geb:s strength and might on the track. That young man with the huge smile is a devious, calculating, shark when it comes to claiming stake to Olympic gold.

Leave a comment:

• Cyril
    replied

Bekele is obviously in a class of his own in XC. The most dominant in history. However, don't count out his mentor for Athens. Geb knows how to finish - and he's been preparing for it. He also knows Bekele's strengths and if Bekele could be intimidated by anyone it would be Geb - afterall Geb is teacher, Bekele student. I don't think we will see Geb push the early pace this summer as we did last summer. Geb will likely go back to his "sit and pounce" tactics - wanting Oly Gold.

I too don't think it will be long before Bekele gets the WR in 5 and 10 - its only a matter of time. It should be a very fun summer!

Leave a comment:

• MJD
    replied

"Kiprop, 18, had looked to be in control on the final lap before Tadesse fought back and took the lead but entering the penultimate corner the Ugandan saw his final burst to get past the Ethiopian checked by running into him."

There are those that are also saying that Tadesse(who finished 7th in the senior race last year) looks a tad over his age of 18.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/ ... 04/1/.html

Leave a comment:

• MJD
    replied

Hats off again to CAN, with 3rd place team
    >effort! Pac-10 well represented with Elmore, Fleshman and Inman.

Today's email from AC:

"This is our first medal at World Cross since Gateshead 1983 where our Senior Women team got also the bronze. However, back in 1983, the African nations were not really a factor."

Leave a comment:

Working...
X