Brian Maxwell passes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brian Maxwell passes

Third in the world after Billy and Drayton in 1977-only 51-heart attack.

http://www.marinij.com/Stories/0,1413,2 ... 09,00.html

Re: Brian Maxwell passes

Sorry malmo. Posted to darkwing and then got interrupted at work midpost to here and didn't see yours.

Comment

That is sad. I remember Brian well, as I ran the Trail's End Marathon in Seaside, Oregon, the year he won it.

Thanks MJD. It could have been worse. I could have said the Thai's End Marathon!

Comment

I have many Brian Maxwell stories, as he coached me from 1979 to 1982 at Cal. I credit him with changing my training regimen so that I could handle harder, longer workouts while getting sufficient rest. I graduated to a much higher level of competition because of his coaching.

One of my favorite stories was when we were running repeat miles on a golf course during the fall. Brian would usually run with the lead pack during those workouts, but this day he was lagging a bit behind. I asked him if he was OK, and he said, "Fine, but I ran 28 miles in the hills this morning in 3 hours." Our workout was 15 miles that day, so he ran 43 miles that day, all of it averaging under 6:15/mile!

Brian was always very willing to help in many ways. He could come across as gruff, but he was never selfish. I'll miss him much.

Richard McCann

Comment

"That is sad. I remember Brian well, as I ran the Trai's End Marathon in Seaside, Oregon, the year he won it.

Last edited Sun, Mar 21, 2004 at 8:24:40 AM PST"

One more edit to go:-).

Comment

Like Rich McCann, I was also coached by Brian at Cal, from 1980-84. I have many fond memories of Brian, whether it be our cross-country training camps at Lake Tahoe or long runs through the Berkeley Hills or California redwoods. Like Brian, I also left Toronto for a track scholarship at Cal. Though my athletic prospects were high, my university track career was a disappointment due to a series of injuries. But Brian stuck by me, supported me and my scholarship and encouraged me to stick it out. I am very grateful to him. Brian was so proud of Cal; I remember how he said it changed his life. Well, it did the same for me and I thank him for recruiting me. I remember Brian telling me that he bled "Blue and Gold". I recall how he signed off every letter with a handwritten "GO BEARS!" It was so typical of Brian, that when he had the chance, he and Jennifer later gave back so generously to the University. When I visited California a few times, years later, I was impressed with how he treated his employees at Powerbar and his obvious love and devotion to his family.

Now, as a distance running coach in Ottawa, I often think of Brian and draw upon his inspirations (not just about running but about toughness, sportsmanship and life). I make all the runners I coach eat Powerbars. I was so proud of his and Jennifer's accomplishments re. Powerbar that I was constantly bragging about them to my friends in Canada. Brian had such drive but a also great sense of integrity, honesty, sense of humour (Canadian spelling - he would like that) and intellectual curiosity. I think of him often. I am very saddened by what has happened and pass on my sincere regrets to his family.

Ian Clark

Comment

Fyi, Ian Clark did a 8:04.44 3000 indoors as a 17 year old.

Comment

I was reading some stuff today and had forgotten that he was part of that famous finish at Ottawa in 78-2:16:03 with Paul Bannon .2 seconds back. Bannon was on IV after and the 24 year old never did run any faster. Here is an article with a pic of that finish:

http://www.saultstryders.com/results/78 ... apital.htm

Comment

In my admittedly limited contact with him, I thought he was a class act who wanted to give something back to the sport. I'm sorry he's gone.

Comment

There are a few of these articles out there but this Hoffarth ***** wrote about the worst line:

"News that Brian Maxwell, the former world-class marathon runner and founder of the PowerBar nutritional snack, dropped dead of a heart attack the other day at age 51 somehow made devouring a large bag of pork rinds while watching the NCAA Tournament on Sunday afternoon seem much more guilt-free."

I'm sure his wife and 6 kids got a load of laughs out of that.

http://www.dailynews.com/Stories/0,1413 ... 31,00.html

Any of you California types know Hoffarth?

Comment

I heard people make similar distasteful comments when Jim Fix passed. Blame the running/fitness zealots. The ones who have made running their religion and never hesitate to throw it in your face. The ones who think they've somehow discovered the magic elixor that will allow them to live forever. You are stuck with the genes yhou came with baby.

Comment

An
                        >of you California types know Hoffarth?

The Daily News is a the second-rate LA daily paper. It doesn't have much of a readership other than those who hate the LA Times (a vastly superior paper).

Comment

>An
                          >of you California types know Hoffarth?

The Daily News is a the
                          >second-rate LA daily paper. It doesn't have much of a readership other than
                          >those who hate the LA Times (a vastly superior paper).

I posted that to TC which resulted in a Canuck journalist and friend of Brian's writing Hoffarth and basically giving him the same bit of advice that is on another thread on this board-think before you write something. Maybe that is what they do at the LA Times.

Comment

Working...
                          X