X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Smoke
    • Oct 2005

The 400

With LaShawn going down and Jeremy MIA and working his way back into form, where are we going to see the quality in this event?
    Tyson Gay just dropped 44.89.
    Calvin Smith has developed into a nice one lapper.
    Tate is all over the map right now, producing good numbers.
    Rene Quow is back racing but not looking the part of a medalist, as of yet.

I list these guys for their performances rather than their potential at the 400. Why? Well 44.8 just isnt really eye opening. We have dumbed down our expectations I believe. A lot of the men from the 60s and 70s are looking at these guys and scratching their heads. We need these men to get back to mid 44 being the norm.
    Will Kerron and Angelo drop the sticks and go to the flat? I believe both are missing links in this event by the way (the 4hers being a topic unto itself).
    Thoughts?
  • Giant Panda
    • Oct 2009

Re: The 400

Gatlin! LOL

Kirani James still has two more seasons as a junior and already ran 45.02 this year so maybe he could be a medal threat by next year?

Comment

• TrackDaddy
      • Nov 2007
      • The Command Post

After watching Batman run indoors in the 400 and 4x400 and on the relay again yesterday, I'm startng to wonder what he could do.
      The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

• Mike67
        • Oct 2005
        • Comeback trail

JW is the only "real" talent at this distance in the world. Relax, don't worry, he'll be coming around soon.

Comment

• Marlow
          • Jan 2008
          • Back on my 3-month hiatus!

Originally posted by Mike67
          JW is the only "real" talent at this distance in the world.
          Hardly!

It WOULD be great if he got back down the mid-43s again, but he ain't getting any younger (being the superannuated 26 that he is :wink: ) !

Comment

• Chrome Dome
            • Oct 2005
            • Over the hill

Torrin Lawrence seems to have good potential to go well under 45. Both Jorden Boase and LaJerald Betters seem to be coming back after being off last year. Bryshon Nellum is an exciting possibility. And,of course, both James and Tate as mentioned above.Plus, other young collegians such as Joey Hughes & Tony McQuay could go below 45 this year and further next year.

I won't bring X - Man in to the mix for now though.

Comment

• Bruce Kritzler
              • Oct 2005

Xman ran a pretty good 300 at Penn.

Comment

• nbonaddio
                • Oct 2005
                • New York, NY

I'm not sure I'd call him an elite talent, but Greg Nixon deserves some plaudits for his run at Drake and forging out a nice little career on the periphery. He was more of a 100/200 performer while in DIII, but he appears to have moved up quite well.

Comment

• IanS_Liv
                  • Aug 2009

Of the European runners Martyn Rooney probably has the most potential at the moment. He's run 44.60 and has yet to sort out his race plan or truly develop his speed endurance. Johan Wissman and Chris Brown have been in most finals and heading towards low 44s. David Gillick and the Borlee twins are possible contenders for low 44s. Of the up-and-coming Brits, Chris Clarke and Nigel Levine are probably the most prominent.

Still, maybe I'm biased, and I haven't really watched the Borlee twins run, of all of the above I can only see Rooney threatening Schonlebe's ER of 44.33.

Comment

• Flumpy
                    • Oct 2005

Originally posted by TrackDaddy
                    After watching Batman run indoors in the 400 and 4x400 and on the relay again yesterday
                    Why is he known as 'Batman'?

Comment

• Smoke
                      • Oct 2005

To push this forward:
                      Kirani is promising.
                      but I am not sure the rest of the young men named are sub 44 potential. Which is where we need our challengers to be.
                      Torrin I like but isnt he a jumper primarily? Or am I confusing him with some one else.

Keep the names coming fellas. I am just saying, where is the next 43 coming from? We are looking at mid 44 as a dominating time. That's not acceptable. And we are looking at less countries being competitive at the distance. I remember when Kenya and Cuba had competitive 400s. Germany had someone, GBR had someone. Now we look up and Europe is missing from the equation as a whole
                      Thoughts?

Comment

• Irun_toofast
                        • Oct 2005

Yes the days of guys running 44.5 or better consistently are rare but we do have a lot of talent.Some one mentioned Greg Nixon as not being an elite 400m guy but he just ran 45.08 this past weekend so he is entering the "elite" field. Also someone on the come up is Jamal Torrence has been running some great relays, he dropped 44.5 at Penn and P.R.ed running 45.7 indoors so he should be breaking the 45 barrier.

And lets keep in mind this is an off year, so busting out 44-43's is almost pointless.
                        A..K.A Trackshark's Roman

Comment

• Giant Panda
                          • Oct 2009

At the moment 40 guys a year are running sub 10.10. Some of those guys best suited for the event need to step up to 400m. Then you'll get your handful of low 44 guys every year.

Comment

• mump boy
                            • Oct 2005
                            • saaaaaarf london

Originally posted by Flumpy
                            Originally posted by TrackDaddy
                            After watching Batman run indoors in the 400 and 4x400 and on the relay again yesterday
                            Why is he known as 'Batman'?
                            ^ This
                            i deserve extra credit

Comment

• 7-sided
                              • Jun 2009

-Angelo Taylor is for real, but Clement is going backwards; he's living off of his initial reputation - but not as much as Xavier Carter.
                              -Chris Brown gets the Harold Melvin & the Blue notes award "If you don't know me by now..." he's not changing; he will be 3rd, or 4th - at an outdoor championship.
                              -Renny Quow is not fast enough to be a sub-44.3 400m runner
                              -Kirani is not fast enough, either, yet. Hopefully, he will get faster, but he will have to correct some obvious flaws in his running first (needs have better foot reaction). He does have talent, though.
                              -Calvin Smith MAY be able to get there.
                              -Torrin is for real (you're thinking of Christian - Univ. FL), but there is something there...
                              -Long shot sub-44.50 may be one of the Australians.

But, to answer the question: yes, the 400m has been dumbed down. I am defining 400m runner as anything sub-44 to about 44.30 to 44.40 ish. But to be a sub-44.30 guy, you have to have sub-20.40 speed, more or less. Basically, a lot of athletes need to move up!

Comment

Working...
                              X