X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solinsky Aims for 5000 Record at Pre

Here's an article from today's Eugene Register Guard:
    http://www.registerguard.com/csp/cms/si ... -field.csp

Interesting that Rupp doesn't seem to want to run against Solinsky in this race.

Re: Solinsky Aims for 5000 Record at Pre

"Former Oregon standout Galen Rupp, who is coached by Alberto Salazar in the other Portland OTC training group, is expected to make his Pre debut this year, but he hasn’t settled on an event yet. Salazar said last week it could be the mile."

It does not sound like his choice so far is driven by the outcome of Saturday's race.

What if Solinsky runs 12:54 before the Pre race? If he does not get beaten to the line by another American (Matt/Lagat?) he would be the first American in how long to hold both the 5000 and 10.000 records at the same time.

He made a comment about trying to stay calm when he broke away and build steadily rather than really push the penultimate backstretch. He said that he has gone too hard in the past and it has come back to bite him - I think that Mr. Rupp did the biting in a 5000 at Stanford a couple years ago and people discovered that Galen has at least some kick.

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235
      What if Solinsky runs 12:54 before the Pre race? If he does not get beaten to the line by another American (Matt/Lagat?) he would be the first American in how long to hold both the 5000 and 10.000 records at the same time.
      That of course would have been Pre the last time it was done.

Comment

"Former Oregon standout Galen Rupp, who is coached by Alberto Salazar in the other Portland OTC training group, is expected to make his Pre debut this year, but he hasn’t settled on an event yet. Salazar said last week it could be the mile."
        But you neglected to include this quote from the same article:
        “The 5,000 at Pre is not in Galen’s plan at this time,” Jordan said.

So I'm reading it that Galen doesn't want to run against Solinsky. Or maybe there's some gamesmanship going on here and perhaps even an attempt to get a little more appearance money by matching up against Solinsky. What I don't see is Galen running a mile. He's not an elite miler.

Comment

It will be very interesting to see what Solinsky can do with his new-found fame. I have no doubt he can break 13 now in the 5, but the operative question is can he be a consistent distance force, or, can he beat Lagat? A 56-second last lap after running 24 laps at 65-sec pace is pretty impressive! Was this 26:59 his 'perfect race'? Can he catch lightning again?

Comment

Make not the mistake of assumptions here in Mr Solinsky being able to definitely break 13'00. He will have to run 30+ seconds faster than he split the second half of the Payton Jordan 10KM at half the distance raced. Because he was able to get into a really comfortable groove and kick very well off of that slower pace does not mean, however, that Mr Solinsky can run 12 x 400m in 1'02"3 pace and kick on top of that. I do wish him all the best in that pursuit, however.
            Fire Impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by 3
              12 x 400m in 1'02"3 pace and kick on top of that. .
              :shock: when you put it that way, it does sound pretty daunting.

Comment

What? The 5K at Pre not in the cards for Rupp?

Or maybe the 200? How about the discus? Gimme a break. Change plans. Be a man. Run the 5000. Pre will turn over in his grave if Rupp skips the 5K.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary
                  Nope, Alberto (13;11 and 27;25) held both from July 1982-July 1985.

Comment

Here's a track calculator and a chart conversion for 26:59.60
                    A.) 5000m = 12:51.26
                    B.) 5000m = 12:54.43
                    I like (B.) how about you?

Comment

Originally posted by 3
                      Make not the mistake of assumptions here in Mr Solinsky being able to definitely break 13'00. He will have to run 30+ seconds faster than he split the second half of the Payton Jordan 10KM at half the distance raced. Because he was able to get into a really comfortable groove and kick very well off of that slower pace does not mean, however, that Mr Solinsky can run 12 x 400m in 1'02"3 pace and kick on top of that. I do wish him all the best in that pursuit, however.
                      If he can't break 13'00 it means 10000m is his best distance because 26:59.60 converts to.
                      A.) 5000m = 12:51.26 (track calculator)
                      B.) 5000m = 12:54.43 (chart)
                      I like (B.)

Comment

12:54 seems more realistic. If 12:51 is right without peaking and beyond what I think is his current optimal distance than I should be able to hit as fast as 12:45 and I do not think he is in that ballpark yet.

Note that he had a side stitch, something he usually never gets, and once it was passed he was raring to go but waited for 4 more laps. He also was suffering from a large, painful blister. If there is no stitch/blister and the pace was 63 where it had gone up to 65-66s and he was peaking then 26:45 seems (like the upper limit of) feasible. In the 5000 he will not have either the stitch or blister problem. I wonder if Bekele's pace will be too fast for him, but I doubt Bekele will be aiming much higher than 12:40-45 and that is not too far from what might be feasible. One the other hand, he was able to readily run the heats at the WCs but he could not follow in the Final, so what is different now?

Comment

It would be an unquestionable shame for Rupp not to be ib Pre 5k...greatest distance runner in the world coming to his backyard, with pacers, Heyward hometown fans, countrymen rivals in the perfect year to have go-for-it/PR/times-not-medals attitude. When the pacers dropped he wouldn't be the guy having to do the work this time either...just ride the train and close better than he did in the 10k. It's not a given that Sloinsky beats him but so what if he did in sub-13 and Rupp managed a 13:02-5??? Big PR it would be...or chase others to a sub-13 of his own. I thought he did fairly wonderfully at Stanford with mabe the exception of the last lap time but the 62 sec penultimate may have drained him after the leading laps he put in.

The single most striking thing to me was the near instantaneous recovery by Solinsky--he looked like he could sing the Star Spangled Banner within 45 secs of the finish and that song has a tough range/crescendo. Galen looked out on his feet and that's not a criticism at all.

Will Pre 5k be in evening or July 3 sun?

I admired Salazar's candor rather than politically correct comments re Galen and the race--the two of them were just shocked that Rupp had the company of 3 others as he aimed at sub 27:13 in the latter stages.

Will Ritz be in Pre 5k? Will Tegs?

That sound you are hearing GR is...opportunity.

Comment

[quote=ed gee]
                            Originally posted by "Conor Dary":3onksipj
                            Nope, Alberto (13;11 and 27;25) held both from July 1982-July 1985.[/quote:3onksipj]

Yes, you are right. I forgot about Alberto's 5k record that summer. At least it was another Duck, so I got that correct.

Comment

Originally posted by exdrake

Will Pre 5k be in evening or July 3 sun?

Sun? I'd forgotten that it gets sunny in Eugene, given the late Spring we're experiencing. My guess is the 5000 will be run as one of the first events, perhaps prior to going live on TV; that way they can edit it down to a nice compact 90 second race and not put too many viewers to sleep :P

Comment

Working...
                              X