Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 12yr old blazed 11.98 in -3.8hw at Jamaica's Primary Champs

Originally posted by 26mi235
    trackfanfave, you can edit your own messages - see that edit option on the upper right that is only there for your own posts. [I just commented because your listed 24 p
    osts indicate that you are relatively new at posting -- welcome to the board.]
    Thank you for pointing out my computing flaws. lol, appreciate your welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by toyracer
      The gesture in the picture is hardly Bolt-esque. Both of his hands have their fingers positions simulating a firearm, and he turned his body to "shoot" with his left hand at the other runner.

Hardly a practice to be condoned. A KC runner did the same thing at Champs, then CARIFTA, aiming toward the crowd.
      Just clearing up your misinformation, the youngster in question was a high jumper shooting at the bar. The youngster had achieved PR status both times and was harmlessly celebrating.

Comment

Originally posted by Vault-emort
        Wonder what the fastest 12yr olds ever are doing these days...

12 11.42 0.0 Isaiah Green USA 10 Aug 89 Omaha NE 26 Jul 02
        12 11.15 nwi Steve Carnes USA 18 Jul 72 Reseda CA 8 Jun 85
        Very subtle point you are making, but I get it.

Comment

Originally posted by Non Potest
          The gesture in the picture is hardly Bolt-esque. Both of his hands have their fingers positions simulating a firearm, and he turned his body to "shoot" with his left hand at the other runner.

Hardly a practice to be condoned. A KC runner did the same thing at Champs, then CARIFTA, aiming toward the crowd.
          Just clearing up your misinformation, the youngster in question was a high jumper shooting at the bar. The youngster had achieved PR status both times and was harmlessly celebrating.
          From what I heard he did receive a little "talk to" about that, but I agree with you shooting at the bar is quite different than pointing at a rival or the crowd.

Comment

Originally posted by Vault-emort
            Wonder what the fastest 12yr olds ever are doing these days...

12 11.42 0.0 Isaiah Green USA 10 Aug 89 Omaha NE 26 Jul 02
            12 11.15 nwi Steve Carnes USA 18 Jul 72 Reseda CA 8 Jun 85
            :evil: Exactly! :roll:

Comment

Originally posted by Fortis4Eva
              From what I heard he did receive a little "talk to" about that, but I agree with you shooting at the bar is quite different than pointing at a rival or the crowd.
              For whatever reason he did that, he would have been DQed in a heart-beat at the Florida State HS championships. Gestures like that near the finish line are taboo. One of the few HS-only rules I DO like.

Comment

Originally posted by Fortis4Eva
                Originally posted by Non Potest

I've been trying to find the articles online that gave me the perception that he was pointing to the crowd, but haven't had any luck so far. It as if they have been wiped from the Observer web site. Both articles were Editorials if I remember correctly.

I'll gladly stand corrected regarding the athlete pointing at the high jump bar instead of the crowd, but I'll remain firm on my point about not condoning any type of "gun shot" celebration. There are many more ways of expressing the joy of accomplishment or bettering a rival.
                Regards,
                toyracer

Comment

I've watched the race a few times and I while I am not defending the kid, I don't think he made a gun gesture. He did point back at the other kid which was just poor sportsmanship. It appears that someone got his attenion as his actions at the end of the 200 was the total opposite. In any event, I think we have a nice young fellow (and so well spoken) who should fit in nicely on Red Hills Road.

Comment

Simulating pointing a gun at a defeated competitor is a no-no but ya gotta take some things in context.
                    I recall seeing Blanca Vasic, famous for her post clearance dances, blowing on the tips of her fingers, ala blowing smoke from a gun barrel, after a high clearance.. kinda cute..I don't think anyone was offended...

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf
                      Simulating pointing a gun at a defeated competitor is a no-no but ya gotta take some things in context.
                      I recall seeing Blanca Vasic, famous for her post clearance dances, blowing on the tips of her fingers, ala blowing smoke from a gun barrel, after a high clearance.. kinda cute..I don't think anyone was offended...
                      It may be cute for Vlasic, but Jamaica/Kingston is one of the most most violent country/cities in the world...a completely different "context" (read in a recent article on Fraser where she would play "gunfight" when she was younger).

Washington Wizards changed their name a few years back from the "bullets" because of the gun violence in Washington, D.C. This is a serious matter and should not be treated as lightly as a "talking to". If he did in fact do a "gunshot" then the kid should have been disqualified from the 100m and from the rest of the meet.

Comment

Working...
                      X