Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Johnny Gray making a big impact at UCLA

As many of you may remember, Johnny Gray was hired several months ago at UCLA and his work, or so it would seem, is coming to fruition ... in the oddest of places, at the Oxy Invite this past weekend:

Cory Primm came into the meet ranked fifth in the NCAA after running a lifetime-best of 1:47.56 in the dual meet with USC last weekend. He lowered his best my nearly a second on Saturday. His time of 1:46.63 ... ranks second on the 2010 USA Track and Field outdoor 800m list. ...
    all five of UCLA's half-milers posted lifetime-best performances. Scott Crawford was sixth overall with a big lifetime-best of 1:48.77 (old best 1:49.40, set last week against USC). Jonathan Simmons finished just behind Crawford in seventh with a time of 1:49.31 (old best 1:50.90 set against USC). Marlon Patterson, primarily a 1500m runner, was ninth with a time of 1:49.35 (old best 1:52.05). Steven Norton rounded out the runners with a 14th-place time of 1:51.27 (old best 1:51.93).
    source: UCLA release

It will be interesting to see how Primm fares at the NCAAs (last year didn't make the final, had the 13th best time), he has never really been close to Wheating in head-to-head matches.

Re: Johnny Gray making a big impact at UCLA

Why don't see see UCLA and especially USC men and women challenge more often for the NCAA outdoor title? Those two are the dominant colleges in talent-rich California and get a number of top recruits, but for whatever reason, it's always Texas A&M, Oregon, Florida, Arizona State, LSU, etc., fighting it out for the team title.

I always see UCLA and USC ranking near the top every year in recruiting, but seldom near the top in team championships. Can someone shed some light on this?

Comment

Johnny was all about the big first lap, which, if you do it enough, you'll get used to handling the fatigue better, and you'll run faster times! (Sounds simple, huh?)

He frequently opened sub-50 back in the day when that was very rare (and still is!)

Comment

I was at Oxy, it was a great race with 0.23secs separating the first four. The conditions were excellent and Jonathon Johnson pulled them around at a good clip. Primm was strong in the homestretch...

Comment

Originally posted by marknhj
          I was at Oxy, it was a great race with 0.23secs separating the first four. The conditions were excellent and Jonathon Johnson pulled them around at a good clip. Primm was strong in the homestretch...
          I know you are a high jump dude but did you get the first lap split?
          phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
            I know you are a high jump dude but did you get the first lap split?
            I think it was 52.xx

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
              Johnny was all about the big first lap, which, if you do it enough, you'll get used to handling the fatigue better, and you'll run faster times! (Sounds simple, huh?)

He frequently opened sub-50 back in the day when that was very rare (and still is!)
              Whenever he led the field through those sub-50 first laps, he called it "taking them to the Twilight Zone", as in taking them to a place they've never been before. 8-)

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist
                )
                Whenever he led the field through those sub-50 first laps, he called it "taking them to the Twilight Zone", as in taking them to a place they've never been before. 8-)[/quote]

And also a very scary place. Saw him take it out in 49 and change at the Oly trails in New Orleans, i was scared and i was sitting in the stands with a beer!
                phsstt!

Comment

But he also paid the price for this tactic quite often. Personally, I hope these kids learn some restraint. :wink:

Comment

Originally posted by richxx87
                    As many of you may remember, Johnny Gray was hired several months ago at UCLA and his work, or so it would seem, is coming to fruition ... in the oddest of places, at the Oxy Invite this past weekend:

Cory Primm came into the meet ranked fifth in the NCAA after running a lifetime-best of 1:47.56 in the dual meet with USC last weekend. He lowered his best my nearly a second on Saturday. His time of 1:46.63 ... ranks second on the 2010 USA Track and Field outdoor 800m list. ...
                    all five of UCLA's half-milers posted lifetime-best performances. Scott Crawford was sixth overall with a big lifetime-best of 1:48.77 (old best 1:49.40, set last week against USC). Jonathan Simmons finished just behind Crawford in seventh with a time of 1:49.31 (old best 1:50.90 set against USC). Marlon Patterson, primarily a 1500m runner, was ninth with a time of 1:49.35 (old best 1:52.05). Steven Norton rounded out the runners with a 14th-place time of 1:51.27 (old best 1:51.93).
                    source: UCLA release

It will be interesting to see how Primm fares at the NCAAs (last year didn't make the final, had the 13th best time), he has never really been close to Wheating in head-to-head matches.
                    Primm has never made an NCAA final. Let's hope that changes this year.

1:48.63 as a prep.

Comment

Originally posted by richxx87
                      ... in the oddest of places, at the Oxy Invite this past weekend:
                      As an Oxy alum I take that as a compliment.

Comment

Saw him take it out in 49 and change at the Oly trails in New Orleans, i was scared and i was sitting in the stands with a beer!
                        I was there too, and will never forget this race--perhaps the best "domestic" 800 I've ever witnessed...

Comment

better than the 2008 oly trials in Eugene?

oh ... 'witnessed' - u mustav seen it on video however

Comment

Originally posted by kuha
                            Saw him take it out in 49 and change at the Oly trails in New Orleans, i was scared and i was sitting in the stands with a beer!
                            I was there too, and will never forget this race--perhaps the best "domestic" 800 I've ever witnessed...
                            I'm kind of partial to the 1984 OT 800 myself, but missed 92.

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy
                              Originally posted by kuha
                              I'm kind of partial to the 1984 OT 800 myself, but missed 92.
                              I thought that race was a barn-burner; I remember it having a guy run 1:44 and not make the team (albeit ALMOST 1:45). The only Trials that I have seen. There was a pretty good women's 1500 that day that was even more thrilling. (I might be getting days mixed up, but I thought they were on the same day.)

Comment

Working...
                              X