Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ryan Hall.

Epelle-

Now I'm curious. Did you go to school in OC? Grad. '85? '86? '86 was the best state meet ever.

Regarding Hall, I'm glad to hear he's running. It was great to see him back the the NCAAs. He's such a great talent, and seemingly nice kid. I hope his comeback carries over into the track season. It would be great to see him under 3:40 - I do think he has the ability. He has just been a bit inconsistent.

Comment

>Tustin... were you a Tiller or one of those Foothill people?

jhc68...It's actually me (Lynn Cannon) somehow my account got messed up and I couldn't post with my name...so I put in a new account with the "Tustin Flash" name. That's the name Coach Tom Tellez gave me when I was competing at Fullerton JC.

Comment

Hall and Sorensen have something in common: they are both very avid believers, and have a strong sense of purpose. Sorensen fought through a lot in his rise to the top (i.e.: winning NCAAs and being called his teammate, Scott Hemple; mother passing during Olympic Festival; injuries which prevented him from running more than one lap around the SLO track in 1990; etc.). I think that Hall can learn a lot from Sorensen there on the Farm, and fight through the inconsistencies.

I attended school in Northern CA, and senior year was #2 XC in my section; #4 1,600m in my section; #5 in state meet H1; #9 finals. Again, raced against Robbins at Arcadia, and both state meet heat and final.

1986 is right there on the top of my all-time favorite CIF State Meet lists. 3,200m was the highlight:

1. Eric Mastalir, Jesuit, Sacramento, 8.44,95; 2. Mark Dani, Valhalla, 8.51; 3. Adam McAboy, Miramonte, Orinda, 8.55,70; 4. Chris Hoepker, Encinal, Alameda, 8.57,40; 5. Mark Davis, San Diego, 8.58,92; 6. Aaron Mascarro, Rosemead, 9.00,0.

Steve Lewis breakthrough in the 400m (46,50) after transfer from LA Banning to Fremont American.

If I had the time, I would post a site with all of the previous state results I have - providing some of these preps today an opportunity to compare against yesteryear!

Comment

Tustin Flash, eh? Pretty cool, Lynn. I didn't know that Coach Tellez had such a sense of irony! (just kidding)
          I saw Tom Tellez at the nationals at Palo Alto last summer. We were walking along together so I said hello and reminded him that he had sort of known me a very long time ago. I'm sure he didn't remember me but he was very cordial and acted like he did. We had a nice little talk for a few minutes recalling people and places. He was and is a first class individual. He looked about ten years older than he did 40 years ago.

Comment

Ryan Hall had a minor foot injury a few weeks ago and has been taking it easy. He is now ready to run. His brother runs the steeplechase at UCLA and his younger brother is a good 9th grade runner at Big Bear.

Comment

Epelle-

Actually I was off a year with remembering the state meets. The big year was '85. Rish's 4 was a thing of beauty after being beaten by Everett in the Masters. Gomez double winner over Mastelir - 2nd year double winner. Porter great 300h.

I don't know what happened to Gomez. He was such a talent. Fantastic finish. Reminded me of Falcon. Small, compact stride, with more than enough speed. 2 year double cal state champ!Another example of US loss of a great talent falling through the cracks post high school.

Comment

>Rumors from The Farm had Hall out
                >of school this past quarter, just as last year, but this remains unconfirmed.
                Skipping a winter quarter to go back home to 7,000 feet sounds pretty smart if that's what he's done or is doing. Even skipping a quarter would put him back at school for the Invite, wouldn't it?

Comment

>Epelle-

Actually I was off a year with remembering the state meets. The big
                  >year was '85.

Yes, 85 was awesome! Gomez against Calvin Gaziano from Castro Valley! Gaziano is another athlete who had a string of very good and surprisingly bad luck. Excellent prep star, with a load of early talent who fell off the face of the earth (he didn t, really... he is now a law enforcement officer). 1985 makes me think of Scott Frye from Sandusky, Ohio, who set the prep 3000m record in 8.08.

Comment

Re: Gaziano and other local bull....

This thread reminds me of a Monthy Python routine....

As for Gaziano, he was extremely erratic at Cal. He won the Pac 10 XC one week and then failed to qualify for Nationals the next.

Comment

3:40 not good enough even at 20????!!!!

Ryan is a talented runner. However, a young 20 year old Kenyan has recently run a 3:34 1500 meters on a dirt track. A 3:40 may not be good enough anymore. The Africans have set new standards for everyone.
                      If a 20 year old American posted a 3:34 1500 it would be the news story of the year on this forum.

Comment

Re: 3:40 not good enough even at 20????!!!!

Maybe we should hold off on nailing down a specific age for that Kenyan. I think young will suffice.

Comment

>Ryan is a talented runner. However, a young 20 year old Kenyan has recently run
                          >a 3:34 1500 meters on a dirt track. A 3:40 may not be good enough anymore.
                          I think he might good enough to make the team. I've tabbed him as my Dark Horse 1500m. third-placer ever since I saw his NCAA race against Ritz.

Comment

This from T&FN's Jon Hendershott:

saw [Hall] at Stanford on Sat.;

he said his left foot has been "banged up"; tendinitis, he said.

plus he was tired from training which is why he skipped indoors;

and he couldn't redshirt this indoor season as he had already used his one
                            redshirt season.

seemed eager and laughed when I told him I picked him for my top 6 in our OT
                            1500 predictions --- based on his 2nd at NCAA XC. He seemed to like that.
                            I told him I saw him as a darkhorse and he said he'd try to make my
                            prediction look good.

First I'd ever spoken with Ryan; seemed like a nice kid (and even with his
                            hair grown longer than in past and a few chin whiskers, he *still* looked
                            about 14).

Comment

Thanks Dan, that's what I was looking for ...some real data re: where Ryan was at. Sounds as if he's not flourishing but hope he can come back strong by this summer...sometimes an early injury turns out to be a blessing.

Comment

Brutus Hamilton, 2004-04-10

Mile:

1 (h-1) Bolota Asmerom, NIKE 4:01.63
                                2 (h-1) Rob Myers, Ohio St. 4:03.81
                                3 (h-1) Robert Mitchell, Nike Farm Team 4:04.56
                                4 (h-1) Sean O'brien, Nike Farm Team 4:06.23
                                5 (h-1) David Torrence, California 4:07.55
                                6 (h-1) Nick McFalls, Unattached 4:08.61
                                7 (h-2) Josh Muxen, Nike Farm Team 4:09.30
                                8 (h-1) Ryan Hall, Stanford 4:09.37