Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New revenue stream: USATF Coaches Registry

It now costs you $35 every other year to be a coach within USATF.

And if you coach only masters athletes, you gotta give up the noogie on the side.

The Indy press release:
    http://www.usatf.org/news/view.aspx?dui ... 8_13_37_13

The Code of Conduct:
    http://www.usatf.org/groups/Coaches/reg ... onduct.pdf

The first "squeaky clean" coaches:
    http://www.usatf.org/groups/Coaches/reg ... s/list.asp

My take:
    http://masterstrack.com/2010/05/12062/

Also, an amusing USATF benefit for accused molesters:

K E N
    K E N

Re: New revenue stream: USATF Coaches Registry

I'm guessing it's going to be a fairly minimal revenue stream, if one at all.

$35 isn't a huge sum, and I suspect paying NCSI for the search is going to eat most of that up.

Comment

A note posted at this site indicates college coaches aren't happy campers about the registry:
      http://twackstar.com/TwackStar/News.html

The image file:

K E N
      K E N

Comment

So once again we are just going to do it roughshod and force it to happen and let the chips fall where they may? Professional is the key concept here. I will wait and see how this fine tuning goes. The killer is I only found out through this thread. SMDH

Comment

I like how you don't actually have to be a GOOD coach to be in the registry, just be able to pass a background check. So much for "coaches who represent the profession's highest standards."

BeffinS

Comment

$35 and passing a background check is all that is needed to be deemed good/acceptable. I thought it might be a bit more difficult than that to warrant a place in such a "registry". Apparently not.

I had received the e-mail notification from the USTFCCCA earlier this week immediately separating themselves from the USATF move. Good for them.

Comment

Originally posted by cladthin
              $35 and passing a background check is all that is needed to be deemed good/acceptable. I thought it might be a bit more difficult than that to warrant a place in such a "registry". Apparently not.
              This is a lot like the scam of the 'Who's Who" publications. They only take the 'best' there too, i.e., anyone who gets nominated. Even Mensa will take you if you can supply the next in a series:
              1-2-4-8-x. Solve for x! :roll:

I have determined after a lifetime of such disappointments that any 'exclusive' club that accepts me, ain't worth a hoot! :wink:

Comment

Wow, guys. I saw this completely differently. It looks to me like USATF is trying to head off a US Swimming scandal more than anything. I don't see what their options are when you consider the potential for lawsuits.

Comment

Originally posted by 7-sided
                  Wow, guys. I saw this completely differently. It looks to me like USATF is trying to head off a US Swimming scandal more than anything. I don't see what their options are when you consider the potential for lawsuits.
                  Oh, there's no doubt that the background check is a good thing, but most of the problems arise from first-time offenders, not to mention they are advertising it as something it is not, i.e., a compilation of 'elite' (highest standards) coaches.

Comment

"only USATF Registered Coaches will be eligible for obtaining a coaching credential at the 2010 USA Outdoor Track and Field Championships."

Yeah I can get the part about background checks in a general sense to protect kids and warn parents. With that though, what does any of the subject matter in that quote have to do with a coach and athlete at nationals? Those athletes are adults with only a few who could potentially qualify being under age 20.

They should refer only to ethics and not high/elite coaching standards (actual coaching ability) under their standards umbrella.

Comment

Devil's advocate question: could this backfire in the "protect the youth" mission? As in, coach molests athlete now, USATF has no involvement (unless on a national-team trip, obviously). But with new program in place, if "verified" coach molests, is USATF then a (very) legit target for lawsuits, because they had pretty much guaranteed what exemplary dudes all their people are?

Comment

Youth coaches have been required to complete background checks for several years now, so this particular coaches registry does not change anything on that front.

gh's question remains valid though.

Comment

I find the Code of Conduct the most disturbing part of all of this. If you have not read it in its entirety, I highly recommend you all do so. Agreeing to it is a requirement for the registry.

I have no philosophical problem with a registry or code of conduct. We should have background checks and an ethical code to follow. I think these are very good ideas. This particular code, however, is ridiculous. As I read it, there are many coaches in our sport who will immediately be in violation of the code, yet the subjective nature of most of it makes it impossible to enforce. I'm also pretty sure they have crossed some legal lines that no Court would uphold.

Comment

Originally posted by decafan
                            I find the Code of Conduct the most disturbing part of all of this. If you have not read it in its entirety, I highly recommend you all do so.
                            To wit:

1. Be competent in their knowledge and professional in their conduct;
                            HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HA !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Maybe part of the purpose of the registry is to crack down on people getting free entry to national championships. In order to get an athlete support pass, which is free, you have to join this registry ($35) and be a current USATF member ($30). Not a big deal if you are a legitimate coach, but some athletes used their AS pass to get friends or family in to meets for free. At $65, I imagine it's cheaper to buy tickets.

Comment

Working...
                              X