• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New revenue stream: USATF Coaches Registry

Originally posted by gm
    both during coaching and
    during that period following coaching when imbalance in power could
    jeopardize effective decision-making.
    What if that's what gets them off? Who is the USATF to dictate the behavior of consenting adults? It is none of their business and this is nonsense...

Additionally, what the hell does "that period following coaching" mean? 10 minutes? 10 hours? 3 days? 6 months? I've talked to many athletes who tell stories of coaches who said things that stung 20 years after the fact... Is the USATF going to mandate emotional therapy sessions for every coach/athlete couple to determine exactly when "an imbalance of power" exists for each couple? Are coaches going to have to register their relationships so the USATF can keep and eye on them so the coaches don't exploit this imbalance?

And what if there is a breakup? Can the athlete go to USATF and say "my former lover/coach frequently had sex with me after a hard workout and the imbalance of power hadn't worn off for me and I felt like it could have jeopardized my decision-making..." Is that coach then banned? Will there be an investigation into these allegations??

If every two years coaches are forced to submit to a criminal and credit background check, shouldn't they also do a "relationship check" to determine if they are worthy of a coaching credential?

The whole thing is insane. And if there is no intent to enforce this part of the code of conduct, (which is what will happen) why have it at all? There can't be any teeth to this section and, if there is, the world is going to hell in a handbasket at a far greater than previously thought pace.

Comment

If you don't get that, can't help ya. You have obviously never sat through a two-hour seminar on sexual harassment in the workplace.

Comment

gm nothing about that is clear so why are you pretending it is? The second clause is about harassment, the first one you quoted is not, and the first one is gibberish.
        The registry is not as bad as I initially thought but it has some serious holes in it

Comment

As I said, if you can't figure out the intent/meaning of the first part of that one, I can't help you. It is clear as a bell unless you're trying to make it something it's not.

You ever sat through one of those seminars?

Comment

Why write that crap in there if it's impossible to enforce? I agree that USATF opens themselves up to some messy stuff if you have a bad breakup, and people start claiming stuff.

I don't have a problem with wording about sexual harassment. I also think it's generally a bad idea for coaches and athletes to date or whatever, but I don't know why USATF would want to play morality police between two consenting adults.

While I am not opposed to background checks, I think they provide a false sense of security at both the youth and adult level. I would say that a good percentage of coaches who sleep with underage athletes never end up with anything on their record, especially if it's not a habitual thing.

Comment

There is no appeals process for 2010. It sounds like if you are rejected, you don't even get to know why: http://www.usatf.org/groups/Coaches/reg ... es/faq.asp

Comment

Originally posted by gm
                As I said, if you can't figure out the intent/meaning of the first part of that one, I can't help you. It is clear as a bell unless you're trying to make it something it's not.

You ever sat through one of those seminars?
                Since this is important in that it is supposed to have some teeth and be a rule, it is not acceptable to say 'well, it is clear what we wanted the rule to convey but we did not get the wording crystal clear.'

Comment

I think an easier (and far smarter) way to have initiated this thing was say no credentials for the JUNIOR (and other age-group) nationals. Anybody who is working with collegians or pros is obviously in a consenting-adults situation.

Not that there aren't other things worth weeding out, but this seems to be 99% the thrust of the whole thing.

I would also note, of course, that few athletes get molested during the course of the meet in the stadium by credentialed coaches. If you're a perve, you'd be quite happy to buy a ticket and coach from the stands and still have all that wonderful hotel time to look forward to.

Comment

I still say that USATF is joining the rest of the organizational world.

http://yalealumnimagazine.com/issues/20 ... ex015.html

After more than a quarter century of debate, Yale faculty members are now barred from sexual relationships with undergraduates—not just their own students, but any Yale undergrads.

The new policy, announced to faculty in November and incorporated into the updated faculty handbook in January, is “an idea whose time has come,” says Deputy Provost Charles Long, who has advocated the ban since 1983.

In his decades at Yale, Long has seen many faculty-student romances. Most turn out fine, he says, but others are destructive to students. “I think we have a responsibility to protect students from behavior that is damaging to them and to the objectives for their being here.”
                    I mean, there at Yale...they should be smart enough to know better. :lol:

Comment

College Student - Professor relationships are different. You are generally dealing with one student who is age 18-24, and a professor who is age 30+. I know some professors are younger and some students older, but that's a good general guideline.

USATF - 99% of your high school and college age students have either school coaches (and all schools do their own screening), or youth club coaches (and USATF is already doing background checks on them, though not as thorough as this). So really they can be excluded because for most their coaches have been screened.

So really, you are dealing with athletes age 23+ and coaches of all ages. Apples and oranges.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                        If you're a perve, you'd be quite happy to buy a ticket and coach from the stands and still have all that wonderful hotel time to look forward to.
                        Well said.

Originally posted by gm
                        You have obviously never sat through a two-hour seminar on sexual harassment in the workplace.
                        Actually, I have... 4 times in the past 10 years (2 online and 2 lecture style) and I even passed the test at the end... :wink:
                        That is a moot point. USATF is not the EMPLOYER of coaches... very few coaches (if any) collect a paycheck from USATF. The USATF is overstepping their bounds by a mile under the guise of being "proactive" to create the illusion that they have a firm grasp on who their coaches are.

This is unenforceable BS - "feel good" political correctness run amok...

Comment

Originally posted by polevaultpower
                          College Student - Professor relationships are different. You are generally dealing with one student who is age 18-24, and a professor who is age 30+. I know some professors are younger and some students older, but that's a good general guideline.
                          I'd surmise it's the student age is even greater than where you put it. At least among several married couples I've known who were faculty/student, almost all the students were graduate research assistants.

Comment

Working...
                          X