• Show
Clear All

• Hurdler
    replied
    Re: Bershawn Jackson 48.48 at Raleigh Relays

>>there are about 10 guys who have run sub-50 over past
    >3-4 years.
    I'm
    >guessing that you're maybe one of these...?

Alas, no - despite my apparent indignation at the performances of SA hurdlers being undermined! I am a lowly 51 sec 400H man.

Leave a comment:

• ffanin
    replied

"You might not want to get too carried away... Jackson's time is only no.3 in the world so far this year:

48.02A Ockert Cilliers RSA
    48.35A Alwyn Myburgh RSA
    48.48 Bershawn Jackson USA"

For me altitude aid is not so important, but you must consider that SAfrican athletes are peaking their shape for the National Trials in mid-April.
    Raleigh R was only Bershawn Jackson's second outdor race and hopefully he 'll peak later.

Leave a comment:

• Jon
    replied

>there are about 10 guys who have run sub-50 over past
    >3-4 years.

I'm guessing that you're maybe one of these...?

Leave a comment:

• Jon
    replied

a 48 flat at
    >altitude compares damn well (I would say superior) with a 48.48

Interesting point there. Obviously, it depends on just how high the altitude is, but using JRM's wind/altitude correcter calculator for 400m...

http://desert.jsd.claremont.edu/~newt/t ... 00alt.html

...it shows that a 48.00 run in Johannesburg is 'worth' a 48.4 at sea-level (and 48.5 if it was run in Mexico!).

Leave a comment:

• Hurdler
    replied

>I know I'm showing my ignorance here, but who are South Africa's 400m runners?
    >I thought they had a couple of aces. Maybe I'm wrong.>

I just had a look at T&FN annual rankings and SA is 8th best nation ever - its highest placing of all events. Llewellyn Herbert is probably best known - pb of around 47.7 and OG silver. Current World Junior Champ is SAfrican (ran sub-49 as 18 yr old I think). Plus there are about 10 guys who have run sub-50 over past 3-4 years. Gert Potgieter held world record in 1959/60 and fell in OG final in Rome, when a medal certainty. So SA has a fine tradition in the 400H. Probably does only seem like a few aces, compared to US depth, though.

Leave a comment:

• Hurdler
    replied

There's a
    >psychological effect also. You know you should be able to run a faster time, so
    >you do, exceeding the mere benefit of the altitude alone.

I suppose the point I am making is that there is no psychologocal advantage in a country like SA where it is not considered to be "altitude running" (if that's all all you ever know).

I think it's more of an issue for many South Africans (as with many Australians) trying to get their timing right, so that they perform at their best during their "winter", as of course most meets are in the northern hemisphere summer

Leave a comment:

• tafnut
    replied

Indeed they SHOULD be listed, but separately as wind-aided are. The research into altitude aid has been discussed here, and T&FN's Green Book has guidelines, but the effect is beyond the effects of gravity. There's a psychological effect also. You know you should be able to run a faster time, so you do, exceeding the mere benefit of the altitude alone. In any case these guys could be legit, but I'll reserve judgment on their medal chances till I see out-of-country legal times.

Leave a comment:

• steve
    replied

I know I'm showing my ignorance here, but who are South Africa's 400m runners? I thought they had a couple of aces. Maybe I'm wrong.

Leave a comment:

• Hurdler
    replied

>I am narrow-minded
    >about altitude-aided marks. They have no business being listed side-by-side
    >with low-altitude (<1000m) marks for comparison.

Myburgh has run 48.09 non-altitude and Cilliers 48.76. South Africa has very few sea-level tracks because vast majority of population live at altitude. 80% of the time, coastal meets are hampered by lousy (windy) conditions.

I take your point about effects of altitude, but don't agree they shouldn't be listed, otherwise you would have to argue the same about wind readings, humidity readings, etc.

We all know that you need to adjust for effects of altitude, but surely no-one would disagree that a 48 flat at altitude compares damn well (I would say superior) with a 48.48

Leave a comment:

replied

I believe the Greek Periclis IAKOVAKIS who set
    a good 48"17 last year, will be a very serious
    threat for the podium in Athens.
    He has a great finish.

Leave a comment:

• tafnut
    replied

I have no idea where you get my 'jingoism' from. But yes, I am narrow-minded about altitude-aided marks. They have no business being listed side-by-side with low-altitude (<1000m) marks for comparison. I have no problem with these two athletes going 1-2 in Athens if they run well there. But altitude marks have a way of not being reproducable under championship conditions. If and when these men run these times under legal conditions, I will celebrate their success vicariously; it's what track fans do.

Leave a comment:

• Hurdler
    replied

>The capital A after the time stands for 'Aberration' as in probly ain't happnin
    >agin.

Do I detect a bit of jingoistic narrow-mindedness in your last post ...... or does the "nut" within your profile name just stand for small-minded nutter? Alwyn Myburgh was World Student Games Champion in 2001 and has run low 48's many times already. South Africa had 7 sub-50 athletes last year. Llewelyn Herbert is current OG silver medallist. I hope you get to eat your words in Athens!

Leave a comment:

• tafnut
    replied

The capital A after the time stands for 'Aberration' as in probly ain't happnin agin.

Leave a comment:

• AS
    replied

You might not want to get too carried away... Jackson's time is only no.3 in the world so far this year:

48.02A Ockert Cilliers RSA
    48.35A Alwyn Myburgh RSA
    48.48 Bershawn Jackson USA

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied

Of course, it's not really your height that's that important (paging Gail Devers), but what your inseam is.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X