Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Troubled Olympic stadium faces mid-June test

ATHENS, Greece -- The main Olympic stadium will be ready to host a test event in mid-June and will have a roof for the games, Athens organizers told track and field's world governing body on Sunday.

During its two-day meeting in Athens, the International Association of Athletics Federations focused on preparations for the Olympics, including the troubled main stadium for the Aug. 13-29 Games.

(more)

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?sec ... id=1770376

Re: Troubled Olympic stadium faces mid-June test

The same style roof as the swimming venue...?

Comment

Roofs for Olympics are unacceptable. This is supposed to be outdoor track, not indoor Olympics.

Comment

The whining from the swimmers is unbearable. Put some sunscreen on and swim already, or maybe they'd like to be banished to the winter games instead.

Comment

With all due respect, I think the swimmers' "whining" is totally justified. The problem is the shocking [what's the word? "incompetence"?] of the Athens organizing committee. We're not seeing preparations worthy of a supposedly world-class event.

Comment

I'm not debating the incompetance, that I agree on, but its the Summer Olympics - that means you're outdoors in the weather, if need be, and you have to deal with it. Swimming has become such a homongenized sport that everything must be laboratory-like conditions or people bitch about it. WAAAAAAA!

Comment

>its the Summer Olympics
              >- that means you're outdoors in the weather,

Haven't figured out exactly where I stand vis a vis indoor/outdoor swimming, but basketball, gymnastics, badminton, wrestling, judo, weightlifting are all "sports" (some more than others) that are part of the summer Olympics and yet still not subject to the vaguaries of the weather.

Further stuff to consider is that TV likely has a big sway as well and they can do a much better broadcast if they aren't fending off showers and overcast conditions (or excessive solar glare).

That being said, wasn't Barcelona outdoor swimming/diving?

Maybe the winter Olympics should likewise move hockey, curling and figure skating to outdoor arenas.

With respect to Athens specifically, the organizers planned on a covered swimming facility. That they are not able to deliver brings into question their ability to conduct a successful games overall.

Comment

wasn't the swimming at LA 1984 outdoors too?

Although, rain in LA in August is not a problem.

As to Athens, any one who went there in 1997, for the WC, just chuckled when we heard about 2004.

I'm sure, there will be plenty of crises between now and August, and things will be less than ideal, but the events will occur, and there will be problems.

Some conditions will be problematic, transportation for fans could easily be a disaster, but I have only one hope.

The security will NOT be compromised. I do have severe reservations here. It's an ideal stage for the worst in terrorism to exploit.

And I do NOT have very good feelings about what may happen in that arena.

I can live with less than ideal competitve conditions or fan conveniences, but the security matter is totally different. It needs to be perfectly safe for EVERYONE!!

Comment

It looks like NATO is going to help with security at the Olympics which is a little more reasurring. At least the same people that have been managing the construction of the facilities will not be managing the security as well:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/ar ... Mar26.html

http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=2698148

Comment

The roof is for the spectators, not the field of play; see artist renderings:

http://www.stadia.gr/oaka-new.html

Comment

According to the article below they actually had a track meet at the Athens stadium last weekend. People sat on pipes because only 8,000 seats had been installed and workmen were climbing around the roof during the competition. Apparently no one dropped any wrenches on spectators or athletes.

http://www.billingsgazette.com/index.ph ... -games.inc

Comment

I will be totally happy with the Athenai games if nobody dies. Anything good will be gravy. I have no confidence in all in the Greek security.

Comment

>I have no confidence in all in the Greek security.

Maybe not, but if you had qualified to go, would you go anyway? or stay at home because you're too scared? (Did you here about that guy?!)

Comment

Working...
                          X