Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tucson Invite - Huge Shot Put Mark

Thanks for the video. He does something I've often wondered why most of the others don't, which is to use his legs more. He gets down in the rotation and pops up at the end. CC and Hoffa seem to be more upright thoughout the rotation.

Comment

Does the slight elevation in Tucson figure here at all?

Comment

Originally posted by gh
        when a spinner really catches one: previous PR 68-3¾ (20.82)!
        This effort by Martin is reminiscent of Y2K when a young shot putter only 2 weeks past his 25th birthday improved by well over a meter over just a couple of months time culminating in a huge PR 72'7" effort at the Olympic Trials...

Of course, Adam Nelson made his 72' splash at the Oly Trials, not a small, "throwers only" meet which makes Nelson's rise to the top all the more impressive. Let's hope this effort by Martin leads to a long, consistent, highly decorated career full of clutch performances ala Nelson, and not a fluke toss.

I can't recall a thrower breaking through the 69',70',and 71' barriers for the first time in a single meet. (Nelson went from 67'8" to 72'7" in a little less than a year which is insane enough) The more I mull on it, Martin's performance is truly mindblowing to me...

Comment

Originally posted by ExCoastRanger
          No. The drag/mass ratio is so low that throwing in a vacuum should give basically identical results. Unless I've miscalculated, the deceleration on the shot from air drag is on the order of 1x10^-4 m/s^2.

Comment

He sure is FAST!!! And he has great balance. Looks like a bigger and more controlled Nelson.

Comment

Originally posted by balzonia
              Originally posted by gh
              when a spinner really catches one: previous PR 68-3¾ (20.82)!
              This effort by Martin is reminiscent of Y2K when a young shot putter only 2 weeks past his 25th birthday improved by well over a meter over just a couple of months time culminating in a huge PR 72'7" effort at the Olympic Trials...

Of course, Adam Nelson made his 72' splash at the Oly Trials, not a small, "throwers only" meet which makes Nelson's rise to the top all the more impressive. Let's hope this effort by Martin leads to a long, consistent, highly decorated career full of clutch performances ala Nelson, and not a fluke toss.

I can't recall a thrower breaking through the 69',70',and 71' barriers for the first time in a single meet. (Nelson went from 67'8" to 72'7" in a little less than a year which is insane enough) The more I mull on it, Martin's performance is truly mindblowing to me...
              He had 4 throws that exceeded his previous PR. It will be fascinating to see how the rest of his season goes.

Comment

Originally posted by rainy.here
                Originally posted by ExCoastRanger
                No. The drag/mass ratio is so low that throwing in a vacuum should give basically identical results. Unless I've miscalculated, the deceleration on the shot from air drag is on the order of 1x10^-4 m/s^2.
                Forget about air drag. What about gravity? Is it less at altitude? (That may be a really dumb question--I am not a physicist.)

Comment

I remember an article in a T&FN of the '50s or '60s (before I even knew it existed) in which somebody (probably Don Potts) did some math to show a shot would far a bit farther at the equator than farther away (or vice versa).

Comment

Martin vs. Cantwell in Sacto this weekend

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                      Ooooo - can Martin sustain the improvement? Can CC outdraw the young new gunslinger in town? How cool would SIX 70-footers be duking it out, rather than the THREE we've had??!!

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                        Taylor, Winger and Bryant scheduled to be there as well... From what i hear, Hoffa and Nelson still training hard to overcome various injuries and be ready to go at usa champs...

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                          I remember an article in a T&FN of the '50s or '60s (before I even knew it existed) in which somebody (probably Don Potts) did some math to show a shot would far a bit farther at the equator than farther away (or vice versa).
                          Was it distance from the equator or distance from the center of the earth that mattered? I would think the latter if gravity has anything to do with it. But again, I'm no physicist.

Comment

Angular momentum; the rotation rate in degrees/second are the same across the globe, but not in feet per second. Note that it is easier to climb at a given elevation near the equator than near the poles because the atmosphere is 'reaches higher' there.

Comment

Working...
                            X