Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Never seen before?

Just witnessed the best finish I've ever seen. In the men's 4 x 4 at the Big 12 Championships, the A&M runner (Henry) sat on the Baylor runner's (Boyd) shoulder the whole way but coming into the final staightaway couldn't make up any ground. In the last few strides he finally pulled even and leaning (not diving) for the tape he just nipped Boyd. In his next few strides he lost balance and did a somersault. I had never seen that before. Diving, sprawling,falling - yes. Somersault - no. Anyone else see the finish? Seen better other than at a more important event?

Re: Never seen before?

David Neville's and particularly Christian Smith's head first dives to make the 2008 Olympic team come to mind.

No somersault, but Smith skidded for a good 10-12 feet on the Mondo.

Comment

If I'm remembering correctly, Jon Ridgeon won a hurdles semi at Rome '87 Worlds with a lean so extreme that he went under the eyebeam, which is normally set at about four feet.

He wound up leaving his feet and fell forward into a somersault.

(I know I saw him duck the beam elsewhere as well, so I may be conflating two races into the Rome race.)

Comment

right country, wrong hurdler; Colin Jackson "frequently" went under the eyebeam.

Comment

I'm sticking with Ridgeon. He won the second semi in Rome; Jackson finished only 4th in the other semi.

Yes, I remember Jackson also ducking the beam, but it was definitely Ridgeon who had the forward roll out of his lean.

Comment

Working...
          X