X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brian
    replied
    Re: WHOAH, NELLIE! - STRETCHING DOESN'T PREVENT INJURIES

Muscle strength AND flexibility are important. IMHO, I think you can improve things by stretching well, but only after the run, when the muscles are warmed up, not pre-exercise, as the article targets.

Leave a comment:

• No Name
    replied

I think the value of stretching really depends on the type of runner and his/her injury history.

For sprinters, I think stretching is absolutely essential. I think it's pretty important as well at the 800/1500 level. As the distances get higher, it becomes less and less important.

Another factor is the runner's injury history. There are some people with chronic hamstring problems (or problems with other muscles/tendons, etc.) who should definitely stretch before running. There are others who are not pre-disposed to injuries; for these people, stretching is less important.

Leave a comment:

• Dutra
    replied

>A. I'll plead total physiological ignorance, but
    B. can't static stretching
    >(like ballerinas do) increase range of motion and flexibility? I remember
    >reading this whole thing last summer and the 'controls' in this 'experiment'
    >were totally statistically invalid. I DO believe in dynamic stretching, but I
    >have static stretched all my life and I have a much greater flexibility and
    >range of motion that 99% of the other 50+ geezers.>

I think stretching is very overrated.

Leave a comment:

• tafnut
    replied

A. I'll plead total physiological ignorance, but
    B. can't static stretching (like ballerinas do) increase range of motion and flexibility? I remember reading this whole thing last summer and the 'controls' in this 'experiment' were totally statistically invalid. I DO believe in dynamic stretching, but I have static stretched all my life and I have a much greater flexibility and range of motion that 99% of the other 50+ geezers.

Leave a comment:

• Brian
    replied

Another link:
    http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/newssea ... ewsid=6880

Most people know the benefits that come from muscle lengthening come by stretching AFTER the run, not before.
    The idea is to stay in balance; strengthen the anterior muscles (which get little use when running) and lengthen the posterior (which get major use).
    -------------------------------------------------
    >What does reduce your chances of injury, said Stephen Thacker are:

-- Warming up
    -- Being in good shape
    -- Having strength and balance
    --------------------------------------------------
    That doing anything more than a few gentle toe touches ater the warm-up but before the first intrval doesn't help is old news. Gotta use that grant money.

Leave a comment:

• WHOAH, NELLIE! - STRETCHING DOESN'T PREVENT INJURIES

This article should provide good fodder for this group of keyboard addicts

Of course, like ALL "scientific" evidence, the conclusions of this research have to be taken with a grain of salt.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20040328/D81JLILO0.html
Working...
X