Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I don't like the diamond league so far

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I don't like the diamond league so far

    It has been boring thus far. Even when bolt did his 200m in shanghai because he is taking it easy. Personally fans are not getting their moneys worth while he is being paid his normal fee for underperforming (ridiculous). I look at the NY Dl meet where i will be attending next week and the startlist doesn't cover the same races like last year. We should still able to see 100, 200, 400, 800, 110hurdles, 100m hurdles, etc. in these meets from both men and women, not just diamond races. There are only a few races that are not diamond races. I don't think i will be getting my money's worth. And also why announce bolt, powell, gay for brussels in August and not announce nothing for NY Dl concerning gay or powell with 1 week to go. This doesn't make sense to me. I personally think we will be lucky to see the big three in one race this season because someone is going to claim injury. Bolt racing Gay four times this season aint gonna happen either. Maybe 2 times.

  • #2
    Re: I don't like the diamond league so far

    I agree with you 100%. A lot was not placed on spectator demographics when this was done. Yes the throws in Oslo and the distances. Imagine a track meet of this magnitude in USA and no 100m for women and 400m for men missing.
    Additionally, the fields have been quite hollow, belive it or not there are some spectators who want more for their buck than just Bolt.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: I don't like the diamond league so far

      Yes, the Diamond League is watered down dreck.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: I don't like the diamond league so far

        easy fix
        dump Doha & Shanhai..
        Dump alternating 100/200 as most prefwer the 100

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: I don't like the diamond league so far

          Why not have all the events rather than alternating. I enjoy the Reebok Grand Prix last year with my wife even when Bolt wasn't there and we decided we were gonna go to this meet every year regardless if Bolt shows up. Meets are about all these races not just a selection of some.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: I don't like the diamond league so far

            Doha doesn't charge for admission so most probably got more than what they paid for there.

            How much money would it cost to stage 32 world class fields for every meet?

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: I don't like the diamond league so far

              Originally posted by Alucard
              I agree with you 100%. A lot was not placed on spectator demographics when this was done. Yes the throws in Oslo and the distances. Imagine a track meet of this magnitude in USA and no 100m for women and 400m for men missing.
              mmmmmm, That's a great observation . I agree that no US based track meets would be as palatable to US fans minus W100m and M400m.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: I don't like the diamond league so far

                This is a terrible two-edged sword.

                On the one hand it gives people in all the events a chance to compete for the biggest prize and in the biggest meets. That's nice and fair for all the athletes.

                On the other hand, when it comes to invitational meets (as opposed to OG or WC), I'm a firm believer in a Darwinian system; survival of the fittest. If an event puts bodies in the seats, then it should be part of your program. If an event doesn't draw, then you shouldn't be forced to stage it.

                These are, after all, independent business enterprises.

                In other words, every DL meet should have a men's 100 and 1500, just to name the two most important off the top. Yet only Oslo, London and Brussels will see that combo. Not good for the meet promoters, not good for the sport.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: I don't like the diamond league so far

                  Originally posted by chuku69
                  It has been boring thus far. Even when bolt did his 200m in shanghai because he is taking it easy. Personally fans are not getting their moneys worth while he is being paid his normal fee for underperforming (ridiculous). I look at the NY Dl meet where i will be attending next week and the startlist doesn't cover the same races like last year. We should still able to see 100, 200, 400, 800, 110hurdles, 100m hurdles, etc. in these meets from both men and women, not just diamond races. There are only a few races that are not diamond races. I don't think i will be getting my money's worth. And also why announce bolt, powell, gay for brussels in August and not announce nothing for NY Dl concerning gay or powell with 1 week to go. This doesn't make sense to me. I personally think we will be lucky to see the big three in one race this season because someone is going to claim injury. Bolt racing Gay four times this season aint gonna happen either. Maybe 2 times.
                  At the start of the year, the Diamond League organizers said that the top 3(Bolt, Tyson and Asafa) would meet at least 3 times over 100m and Bolt would meet Tyson at least two times over 200m.These top athletes have “centralized” DL contracts to ensure match ups which are yet to be materialized.

                  Bolt was confirmed for NY many moons ago even though he pulled out due to a bad Achilles. Tyson(an Adidas athlete) is still not confirmed(publicly) for New York even though the NY meet is an Adidas meet. Saw an interview with Bolt on Jamaican TV last night (on his arrival back from Ostrava). He said he was supposed to meet Tyson in NY but had to withdraw on doctor’s orders to protect his Achilles. So maybe, the meet organizers aren’t telling us the whole truth on Tyson’s participation. I am anxiously awaiting the “surprise” late entry of Tyson into the meet.

                  The top ladies got some ballz and have met on a few ocassions. Jeter has conquered the Jamaicans so far (she beat Kerron in Kingston, Veronica in Osaka and Fraser in Shanghai). Lets see how Jeter holds up over 200m today. I am not expecting any surprises however. VCB and Felix have the 200m locked for now.

                  So my disappointment so far in the DL series is the lack of matchups among the male sprinters(BTW, Asafa and Tyson will meet over 100m in Stockholm on August 6th)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: I don't like the diamond league so far

                    Originally posted by notorious
                    At the start of the year, the Diamond League organizers said that the top 3(Bolt, Tyson and Asafa) would meet at least 3 times over 100m and Bolt would meet Tyson at least two times over 200m.These top athletes have “centralized” DL contracts to ensure match ups which are yet to be materialized.

                    Bolt was confirmed for NY many moons ago even though he pulled out due to a bad Achilles. Tyson(an Adidas athlete) is still not confirmed(publicly) for New York even though the NY meet is an Adidas meet. Saw an interview with Bolt on Jamaican TV last night (on his arrival back from Ostrava). He said he was supposed to meet Tyson in NY but had to withdraw on doctor’s orders to protect his Achilles. So maybe, the meet organizers aren’t telling us the whole truth on Tyson’s participation. I am anxiously awaiting the “surprise” late entry of Tyson into the meet.

                    The top ladies got some ballz and have met on a few ocassions. Jeter has conquered the Jamaicans so far (she beat Kerron in Kingston, Veronica in Osaka and Fraser in Shanghai). Lets see how Jeter holds up over 200m today. I am not expecting any surprises however. VCB and Felix have the 200m locked for now.

                    So my disappointment so far in the DL series is the lack of matchups among the male sprinters(BTW, Asafa and Tyson will meet over 100m in Stockholm on August 6th)
                    I'm convinced now you guys aren't real track fans and think that the sport revolves around the 100m. Fair enough, that should be a different thread.

                    You think the issue is 'ballz', to put it in your words, and whatever else and it simply isn't. Tyson and Bolt can each take in what all of those women combined are taking in for a given meet. Probably closer to double in the case of Bolt. Extremely few meets can afford to have both athletes and the IAAF definitely cannot afford to pay them each that much to just arbitrarily go to certain meets. It just isn't feasible. Top all of that off with inevitable injuries and other scheduling related issues, and you have 2-3 competitions max where they will be able to face-off.

                    Outside of the men's 100m, which is all you are focusing on, there has been a huge level of competition in other events at nearly every meet. This relates directly to the ability to afford very deep world class fields in less popular/profitable events.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: I don't like the diamond league so far

                      Originally posted by notorious
                      Bolt would meet Tyson at least two times over 200m
                      Could you post a link to the press release that states that?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: I don't like the diamond league so far

                        we posted this to Headlines last fall; unfortunately the link is no longer active at teh AP end.

                        AP- Bolt & Gay Set For 3 Diamond League Matchups In 2010- November 22, 2009

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: I don't like the diamond league so far

                          Originally posted by ExeterAcademy1978
                          [think that the sport revolves around the 100m.
                          Certainly doesn't revolve around it, but it sure has a strong gravitational pull.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: I don't like the diamond league so far

                            Originally posted by gh
                            we posted this to Headlines last fall; unfortunately the link is no longer active at teh AP end.

                            AP- Bolt & Gay Set For 3 Diamond League Matchups In 2010- November 22, 2009
                            From that article:
                            MONACO (AP) - Sprint stars Usain Bolt of Jamaica and Tyson Gay of the United States will race each other at least three times at elite Diamond League meetings next year.Athletic's governing body said on Saturday that the two fastest men in history are contracted to compete in seven of the 14 cities in Asia, Europe and the United States featured in the inaugural global series.The rivals must decide which meets will host their showdowns, over 100 or 200 meters."The only thing I know is I will be racing Bolt at least three times or more," Gay said before a Diamond League launch ceremony on Saturday.

                            No official statement has said that the the two had arranged for two 200m clashes on top of anything else.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: I don't like the diamond league so far

                              I think we have put this thread title to rest today.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X