Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010 European Team Championships

The European Team Champs take place in Bergen on June 19, so I figure we can contain all team releases and pre-event discussion in this thread.

The British team has just been announced, and Nicola Sanders has been selected over TBO in the 400m. Apart from a 200m leg on the medley relay at Penn, Sanders has not yet opened her season, so this could be her season opener. Over the past few years, her 400m opening times have been: 51.95, 51.17, 51.87. I know TBO hasn't been setting the world alight, but she has twice dipped under 51 seconds already this year. Rosolova is the only European athlete to have defeated TBO this year, but Ohuruogu finished comfortably ahead of Rosolova in their last meeting in Oslo.

And once again, Jessica Ennis has been left off the team, despite leading the UK rankings in the 100H, LJ and HJ. Does Team Ennis rule her out of competing at the ETC, or does UKA simply not select her? Dumb decision either way.

The team is:
    100m: Dwain Chambers
    200m: Leon Baptiste
    400m: Martyn Rooney (no Bingham, the European leader?)
    800m: Michael Rimmer
    1500m: Colin McCourt
    3000m: Chris Thompson
    5000m: Mo Farah
    110mH: Andy Turner
    400mH: David Greene
    3000mSC: Luke Gunn
    HJ: Tom Parsons
    PV: Steve Lewis
    LJ: Chris Tomlinson
    TJ: Phillips Idowu
    SP: Carl Myerscough
    DT: Brett Morse
    JT: Mervyn Luckwell
    HT: Alex Smith
    4x100m: Baptiste, Marlon Devonish, Tyrone Edgar, James Ellington; Jeffrey Lawal Balogun; Craig Pickering
    4x400m: Michael Bingham; Chris Clarke; David Greene; Robert Tobin; Conrad Williams.

WOMEN
    100m: Laura Turner (I'd love to see JW given the spot, but can understand the decision)
    200m: Emily Freeman
    400m: Nicola Sanders
    800m: Jenny Meadows
    1500m: Hannah England
    3000m: Emma Pallant (no Steph Twell?)
    5000m: Jo Pavey
    100mH: Angelita Broadbelt Blake
    400mH: Eilidh Child
    3000mSC: Barbara Parker
    HJ: Steph Pywell
    PV: Kate Dennison
    LJ: Jade Johnson
    TJ: Nadia Williams
    SP: Rebecca Peake
    DT: Phillipa Roles
    JT: Goldie Sayers
    HT: Sarah Holt (would rather see Hitchon, but doesn't make too much difference)
    4x100m: Emma Ania; Katherine Endacott; Freeman; Joice Maduaka; Elaine O'Neill; Turner. 4x400m: Child, Meadows, Christine Ohuruogu, Sanders, Perri Shakes Drayton, Kim Wall.

Re: 2010 European Team Championships

The problem is more that Sanders hasn't opened her season yet, not so much about opening times.

Though the average of the 3 times you have quoted is 51.66, still only women from 3 countries in the UK group have run faster, and Sanders should easily have the beating of two of them (if selected - Yefremova & Hoffman)

The point is more that as Sanders has yet to run, she has no 2010 time for seedings, so will be in the slower pool and not against the faster athletes. This will mean she will likely finish further down the lists than she should as she'll be running against the clock rather than the better women.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon
      Does Team Ennis rule her out of competing at the ETC, or does UKA simply not select her?
      I'd surmise it was the former, as UKA had no problem selecting fellow Heptathlete Phyllis Agbo for both the LJ and 100mh last year.

Comment

Ennis is also competing in the tri-challenge out in the US the week before, which may have contributed to her decision to not compete in Bergen.

No disrespect to Laura Turner but she doesn't look in that good a shape this year, hovering around the 11.4 range, i would have just asked Emily Freeman to double up as she did last year.
        Jeanette Kwakye and Montell Douglas look like long term injuries for this year, Emma Ania has so far not shown and the return of Asha Phillip does not look imminent either, so with exception to Jodie Williams i don't think Womens 100m will be that exciting domestically this year IMO.

Comment

who on earth is Angelita Broadbelt Blake ?? :? i have nver heard of her

and why no Abi in the relay squad she's only run once this year and is faster than ania, endecott and o'neil
          i deserve extra credit

Comment

Originally posted by mump boy
            who on earth is Angelita Broadbelt Blake ?? :? i have nver heard of her
            She is part of Mike Afilaka's group. Improved to 13.29 this year, but I wouldn't be surprised if she clocked something in the 13.5-13.6 region and finished towards the back.

Comment

I know it is a bit biazrre but i remember watching Angeltia Broadbelt-Blake race at the trials last year, and even though she only finished 4th i remember being very impressed with her technique and her hurdling style, just her raw pace was lacking, she really stuck in my mind.

I agree she could very well end up in the 13.5-13.6 region on her senior GB debut, but i think she could equally surprise and run a decent time.
              To be honest its kind of nice seeing an alternative to Sarah Claxton, who when Jess Ennis is concentrating on the heptathlon, doesn't really have that much domestic competition.

Gemma Bennet never really built on some impressive indoor performances.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon
                The British team has just been announced, and Nicola Sanders has been selected over TBO in the 400m.
                My bet is that TBO requested not to run the individual so she can focus on the relay. :wink:

Comment

i just spoke to Abi and she didn't want to do the relay she's concentrating on her individual races at the mo
                  i deserve extra credit

Comment

It is a simple fact that GB is without serious talent in the womens sprints(except a 16 y.o.) and why we spend any money, even Relay Lottery funding, on the utterly mediocre British women, god knows, but not me.Turner, Ania, Kwakye,Douglas,Onuora,Oyepitan and others... blimey can it get worse.?? I await to see what Freeman achieves, this year, but am not holding my breath. please dont tell me about injuries.. thats all the British women in our sprints are good at... getting injured for a few years.

No wonder the poor fans on AW Forum are trying, unsuccessfully thank goodness, to get Jodie where she does not need to be, into senior stuff. Noted that this w/e in th Sunday times big article on JW she said that UKA were tring to pressure her in that direction . I am sure her advisers and McFarlane are not that stupid, especially when she has astack of exams apparently immediately ahead of her.

Comment

The Polish team will be announced in the next couple of days, but the lineup will be based on the results from Bydgoszcz and the Kusoci?ski Memorial, so things are mostly clear now. It looks like Szymon ZiĆ³?kowski (6-time Euro Cup winner) and WCh fourth-placer ?aneta Glanc lost their places on the team to Wojciech Kondratowicz (who returned to HT last year after a 5-year break) and the 38-year old Joanna Wi?niewska, respectively.
                      Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Originally posted by 72
                        It is a simple fact that GB is without serious talent in the womens sprints(except a 16 y.o.) and why we spend any money, even Relay Lottery funding, on the utterly mediocre British women, god knows, but not me.Turner, Ania, Kwakye,Douglas,Onuora,Oyepitan and others... blimey can it get worse.?? I await to see what Freeman achieves, this year, but am not holding my breath. please dont tell me about injuries.. thats all the British women in our sprints are good at... getting injured for a few years.

No wonder the poor fans on AW Forum are trying, unsuccessfully thank goodness, to get Jodie where she does not need to be, into senior stuff. Noted that this w/e in th Sunday times big article on JW she said that UKA were tring to pressure her in that direction . I am sure her advisers and McFarlane are not that stupid, especially when she has astack of exams apparently immediately ahead of her.
                        Kwakye an Olympic Finalist and indoor world silver medalist.
                        Oyepitan an Olympic finalist
                        Emily Freeman World Champs finalist, with no reason to suggest so far she's on course for a down year.

I don't think the scene is quite as gloomy as you are stating, not brilliant, but not without hope, a couple of years ago the 4 girls in the relay were lining up well and contending for medals on the world stage.
                        British womens sprinting has been in worse shape, a lot worse, than this before.

I think you will find also that only a few on the Athletics Weekly forum were calling for Jodie Williams to be included on the senior team.....

Comment

Originally posted by Kai88
                          Originally posted by 72

Kwakye an Olympic Finalist and indoor world silver medalist.
                          Oyepitan an Olympic finalist
                          Emily Freeman World Champs finalist, with no reason to suggest so far she's on course for a down year.

I don't think the scene is quite as gloomy as you are stating, not brilliant, but not without hope, a couple of years ago the 4 girls in the relay were lining up well and contending for medals on the world stage.
                          British womens sprinting has been in worse shape, a lot worse, than this before.

I think you will find also that only a few on the Athletics Weekly forum were calling for Jodie Williams to be included on the senior team.....
                          individually there is nobody great at the moment but the relay team are consistent finalists and knocking on the door of being medallists.
                          i deserve extra credit

Comment

Krivoshapka opened with a 50.99 in Krasnodar on Monday, to make things more interesting, if she's selected.

Second place was 4 secs behind with 54.97 :shock:

Comment

... and Kapachinskaya with 50.78 in Moscow. With a 2 secs win over second place, 52.61, Ivanova.

Comment

Working...
                              X