Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Texas Relays

So Hardee is up 151 points over his halfway in his PR of 7544 and Kilmartin is 2 up on his PR of 7486 (but Kilmartin switching from Junior to Senior implements in shot, and will have to run higher hurdles and throw bigger discus tomorrow)

Comment

That shouldn't be a problem since he was running the indoor 60H faster than he was running the high school outdoor hurdles last year. He's also throwing the shot farther, so I suspect his discus will be as good or better already, which also doesn't make sense. His 6100+ heptathlon has to be worth near 8000.

Comment

Kilmartin's shot has improved dramatically this year. I would guess with his propensity to foul though he has probably switched to the spin technique. The weight events are where he was weakest in the past, and his efforts outside the decathlon have shown a great improvement in all three throws. His jumps however, have not really improved much over his junior year in High school as he has flattened out somewhat there. Same with his speed. Indoor 60's in both hurdles and sprints do not always translate to outdoor success's. But Trey Hardee is faster, also a good pole vaulter, and has improved in the jumps and throws also. WSU Soph Darion Powell is also one to lookout for at nationals, as he showed last year peaking at just the right moment. These three should dominate after this year at NCAA's. This year however, they will be just three of around seven or eight all capable of 7800-8000 points.

Comment

He's not spinning in the shot. He's in my conference, so I get to seem him compete. He does have a strange long jump technique. When he leaves the board, his running posture doesn't seem to change. He remains upright and takes a couple more steps in the same form as if he were running.

Comment

If he is not spinning in the shot, then that is indeed a very strange improvement. It would be one thing to see someone who has never done the shot improve greatly over a year. But to improve what seems to be in the neighborhood of about 6-8 feet, for someone who has been throwing the shot since he was about 10-12 years old! I've heard of technique and\or strength improvement, but that is phenomenal!

Comment

Smith and Hardee still holding firm over Kilmartin in the hurdles:

1 Maurice Smith SR Auburn University 14.15 3.2 3 955
              2 Trey Hardee SO Mississippi St. 14.42 2.9 2 921
              3 Donovan Kilmartin FR Texas 14.60 2.9 4 899
              "Run fast and keep turning left."

Comment

http://texassports.com/results/tr2004/index.htm

This is a pet peeve of mine, not sure if anyone else feels this way.

The results above are not posted in order as they are on the schedule of events. I enjoy how FlashResults publishes theirs -- as in the order of events so you know what is always next.

In this case, you have no idea what events are next and there is no link to the schedule of events. It's like trying to find a needle in a haystack for what result you should check next.

Comment

can anyone say Pole Vault...

...then lets see where the chickens come to roost

Comment

>The results above are not posted in
                    >order as they are on the schedule of events. I enjoy how FlashResults
                    >publishes theirs -- as in the order of events so you know what is always
                    >next.

I think the results originally were listed in order, but they keep changing the site every few hours.

You may have noticed that photo of Myers Stadium now on the results page, and may be wondering where the bleachers are. Actually, Myers Stadium's architect was pretty avant-garde, and he decided to do without seating, so be prepared to stand through all four days of the NCAAs this year.
                    "Run fast and keep turning left."

Comment

Can anyone say pole vault?

Trey Hardee can! At least enough to not lose much ground to Kilmartin (17' to 16'4") But Kilmartin didn't even win the pole vault. Some kid from Cincinatti tied him (and in a "real" comp would have had less misses at the next lowest height!)

Great competition between two young Americans. Maurice is too strong to catch probably though.

Comment

>Can anyone say pole vault?

Trey Hardee can! At least enough to not lose
                        >much ground to Kilmartin (17' to 16'4") But Kilmartin didn't even win the
                        >pole vault. Some kid from Cincinatti tied him (and in a "real" comp would
                        >have had less misses at the next lowest height!)

Great competition between
                        >two young Americans. Maurice is too strong to catch probably though.

Decacoach, playing Rules Wonk here, lesser misses at the next lower height is not the 2nd tiebreaker.. it's total misses as the 2nd tiebreaker.

Comment

Here's the link to composite dec results:

http://texassports.com/results/tr2004/040331F001.htm

Comment

Smith, a good thrower, at 7329 before the 1500. Needs a 4:41.56 to crack 8000, the Olympic "A" qualifier.

Kilmartin 2nd at 7066, behind Hardee's 7082. Hardee ran 4:44.07 at last year's NCAA meet, so Kilmartin will have to run well to beat him for 2nd.

Comment

Misses Rules

OK, I don't have a rule book, but I had an athlete lose one at JO nationals on this rule once, so maybe NCAA is different. My athlete had three misses total, two at the next lower height, and lost to someone with SIX misses who cleared the next lowest height on first attempt. Both cleared the highest height on same attempt.

Also I know high jumpers and pole vaulters who pass heights because they know they would lose anyways because the other jumper\vaulter made it before them. If I'm wrong on all this, I stand corrected though. But I argued this point at a JO nationals hjsteve, and lost!

Oh, and by the way, I'm wondering if there was a strong wind, or if both Hardee and Kilmartin were just unable to match recent Discus\Jav marks made in individual meets. Both of them did rather badly in those throws.

Comment

OV, can you weigh in on this colloquy ? I'm pretty sure I'm right, at all levels of competition. There are plenty of officials, particularly at lower levels that do not know all the rules correctly.

Comment

Working...
                                X