X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DentyCracker
    replied
    Re: Texas Relays

Maurice Smith a past student of Calabar High School (Herb McKenley's High School) did 8034 in the dec. Maybe Jamaica will actually send 2 competitors to the Olympics in the Decathlon. (Smith and Bernard) Mullings 10.05 W 2.9. Not too bad, hopefully he will improve. Marvin Anderson must have been hurt to run 10.95, used to have the beating of Mullings when they were in HS in Ja.

Leave a comment:

• DentyCracker
    replied

ROFL @ Garry's comment.
    Hmm my boy Steve Mullings did 10.11 with a 2.2 m/s following wind. May be able to force Bolt to run fast at the Jamaican Trials.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied

And if I didn't your wife would delete you.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied

>>I tell you no lie tandfman, the BEST dream I have ever had ( and like us all I've had some pretty good ones ) was when I dreamed I won the Tokyo OG HJ in 1964. Can't top that one. <<

I can, but Garry would delete it immediately. :-)

Leave a comment:

• klang
    replied

it's funny u spoke of his speed unfortunately alot of athletes who have the beyond God given ability and speed tend to take for granted what they have and don't sometimes work as hard as they should I'm sure we all know whom I'm speaking of w/o saying any names even though he was the world record holder...........Give them hell Donovan go UofT

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied

Don't forget that Stones jumped in the rain in both '72 and '76.

Leave a comment:

• hijumpsteve
    replied

12 years earlier, young guy... Stones was '76. But a good play on words nonetheless.

Leave a comment:

• trackstar
    replied

As I predicted months ago would happen, my wife is going into labor just in time to make me miss the Texas Relays. Jeez, doesn't she understand my priorities? :-)

Any of you guys here in Austin had better go watch the women's 4x4 in my place. Love those Lady Longhorns -- 3:30.92 today, and that's just the prelims. I so badly want to see them take down the NCAA record tomorrow after they just barely missed it here last year.

Leave a comment:

• DecaCoach
    replied

Tokyo Olympics? Winning the HJ? Is that when Stones won in the rain? Would that qualify as a WET dream. haha

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied

>On another interesting tie-breaking note, I read in the NCAA rulebook (granted,
    >it's the 2003 version, 2004 is on order) that the NCAA doesn't break ties in
    >the multis. IAAF and USATF do.>>

I just found that one can download the '04 NCAA rules as a PDF (and the best part about that, as opposed to the book version, is that it's searchable, so you spend less time trying to figure out just where something is)

http://www.ncaa.org/index1.html

Leave a comment:

• hijumpsteve
    replied

>In your dreams, Steve!

I tell you no lie tandfman, the BEST dream I have ever had ( and like us all I've had some pretty good ones ) was when I dreamed I won the Tokyo OG HJ in 1964. Can't top that one.

Leave a comment:

• hijumpsteve
    replied

can't count... make that SEVEN WR's

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied

In your dreams, Steve!

Leave a comment:

• hijumpsteve
    replied

and any jumps made in a jump off for first place are completely valid jumps for all record purposes, correct ?

A far fetched but completely possible HJ example, same could happen in PV of course:

2 competitors left... both cleared 2.44; as they go to 2.46
    both miss 3 times at 2.46
    both have equals misses for the entire competition
    JUMP OFF TIME !
    one jump allowed at any and all heights from here on out
    no passing allowed
    they both miss a 4th try at 2.46
    bar goes down to previous height they cleared of 2.44, they both make it again
    back up to 2.46 again.. they both make it
    2 WR's !
    bar goes to 2.48
    both miss
    back down to 2.46
    they both make it again !
    2 more WR's!
    back we go to 2.48
    they both make it !
    2 more WR's!
    On to 2.50
    one makes it, one misses
    a 5th WR ! competition over.

Crazy, but possible !

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied

>I witnessed the following situation a few years ago at the Kusocinski Memorial
    >in Warsaw (one of Poland's biggest meet): two women were tied for first place
    >in the PV competition. Both Monika Pyrek (who was one of the two) and her coach
    >were trying to persuade the officials that a tie-breaker was necessary. Alas,
    >all to no avail... The officials' position was that 'tie-breakers are only used
    >in championship competitions'. Pyrek was unhappy about it, since the
    >tie-breaker would have given her another shot at setting a NR, which she was
    >very capable of doing.

I'm sure the officials were wrong on this, too - I've
    >seen tie-breakers in GP meets and other non-championship competitions on
    >various occasions...>>

Yes, the officials were wrong. The IAAF rules make no distinctino about level of competition.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X