• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hornung Says Notre Dame Academic Standards Too High

hampers black-athlete recruitment says former Heismann winner

http://my.aol.com/news/news_story.psp?t ... 0001192198

Re: Hornung Says Notre Dame Academic Standards Too High

Are you freakin serious, that's ridiculous. In this day in age of equality!! I can't stand it when someone screams racial inequality but yet they're stating that exactly.

Comment

And what does this have to do with track and field? No offense intended; this is certainly an important issue, but I question the relevance on this board.

I suppose that you could make the connection from the specific topic of Notre Dame football recruiting to the topic of racial issues in the sport of track and field, but I think it's a tenuous connection at best.

Comment

Of course he's right! College is an athletic institution first. It must serve its purpose as a minor league for the NFL, come on people.

Comment

Can you say Jimmy the Greek, Hootie, Fuzzy, Jan Stephenson, etc. He's in big trouble.

Comment

Okay, it goes without saying that Hornung is an idiot.

For the record: I'm a black athlete and a Stanford graduate. Last I heard, Stanford had pretty high academic standards. Seeing as I wasn't the "only one" AND Stanford has a top-5 athletic program, Hornung's "theory" just doesn't wash.

Nuff said.

Comment

missing the point maybe?

ND wants a top 5 football team annually, other sports programs are important but distinctly second to football in the Irish Nation.

Is anyone here saying that they can be in the top 5 annually (football) with the current ethnic ratio?

Or if you wish to be less political, can they be in the top 5 annually with an expected SAT at entry of 1150 and up?

I am an ND fan, but with some objectivity in that they can't maintain their independent conference status. Nor can they maintain their admissions standard and be in the Top 5. Certainly not in the present day as opposed to back when higher scholarship numbers allowed them to stockpile talent.

When was Stanford last in the top 5 football teams? Be assured, Horning wasnt talking about Water Polo, Cross Country, Fencing, Womans Hoop or Field Hockey. The Stanford reference while admirable is not applicable. Stanford offers the greatest number of programs and taking an average or going by the COSIDA annual awards, they may have the top athletic program but Horning is talking football and race, nothing else.

While ignorant among many things, the Golden Boy's statements if sanitized, are not inaccurate.

Comment

You could take the 4 best white 100 college guys and I could round up 4 brothers from HS IN DC/ BALTIMORE . PLACE YO' bets suckers!

Comment

While ignorant among
                  >many things, the statements if sanitized, are not inaccurate.

It doesn't matter even if you are right. He's in big trouble. Just watch. Although people are already poking fun:

"Naturally, this politically incorrect comment offended white athletes who resent being labeled as too slow,
                  clumsy or weak to star at the highest level of college football."

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports ... ay+Edition

That is one LONG link.

Comment

Once again, what does any of this have to do with track? This doesn't belong on this board, yet for some reason Garry Hill was the one who started it.

Comment

>Once again, what does any of this have to do with track? This doesn't belong
                      >on this board, yet for some reason Garry Hill was the one who started it.

Because he is talking about lowering acedemic standards for a NCAA school and the last time I looked
                      track and field was a NCAA sport. Not to mention the fact that it his board anyway even if it didn't
                      belong here(which it does).

Comment

What does this have to do with track?

See unwritten rule No. 1: if the board is slow the moderators reserve the right to start a topic on anything they want. (Try my "you and your iPod on a desert island" thread! :-)

But in all seriousness, as MJD noted, when a prominent sports figure raises a race issue and talks about the dumbing-down of a prestigioous institution of higher learning, I think it's a subject that most track fans--generally being sports fans in general--will have a significant interest in.

And if they don't they shouldn't waste their time opening/reading the thread to begin with, and waste even more of their time by responding.

Comment

>What does this have to do with track?

I doesn't matter if it does or doesn't -- it's TAFNs website and they can control content as they see fit.

Comment

Malmo: I know that it is T&FN's Web site and that they can control the content. At no point did I attempt to deny their right to control the content. I was expressing my opinion that this is a board about track and field and, as such, threads should be about that subject.

Others: Paul Hornung was making a specific point about Notre Dame football. If you are going to try to link this story to track, you could probably take any story having anything at all to do with college admissions, post it on this board and try to argue that it has something to do with NCAA track.

There are a ton of articles and studies out there about the role of race in college admissions. Should each and every single one of these stories be posted on this board and held up as being pertinent to track and field?

Paul Hornung is an idiot who made a dumb remark, but it has nothing to do with track.

Comment

>Malmo: I know that it is T&FN's Web site and that they can control the content.
                              >At no point did I attempt to deny their right to control the content. I was
                              >expressing my opinion that this is a board about track and field and, as such,
                              >threads should be about that subject.

The best way to express your opinion about that is to not reply which I note that you have now done 3 times out of the 14 replies to date.

Others: Paul Hornung was making a
                              >specific point about Notre Dame football. If you are going to try to link
                              >this story to track, you could probably take any story having anything at all
                              >to do with college admissions, post it on this board and try to argue that it
                              >has something to do with NCAA track.

Sure why not. The fact that this was Paul Hornung and that he really put his foot in it and gh knew that(he is probably better than we are at identifying a good story) means that we will find it more interesting than all those other stories you refer to.

There are a ton of articles and
                              >studies out there about the role of race in college admissions. Should each
                              >and every single one of these stories be posted on this board and held up as
                              >being pertinent to track and field?

Once again, why not. Most of us probably wouldn't be interested and whoever was doing the posting would get the hint pretty quickly by all the zero replies.

Paul Hornung is an idiot who made a
                              >dumb remark,

Agreed.

>but it has nothing to do with track.

Disagree. It is peripherally related.

Comment

Working...
                              X