Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

tennessee getting future world record holder???????

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tennessee getting future world record holder???????

a high school girl named candace parker, won a dunk contest, yesterday against expected 1st round nba draft picks, she will be attending tennessee next year to play basketball, tennessee track coaches please get her to come out for track, with good coaching she will easily jump over 7 feet in the high jump and go over 25 if not 26 in the long jump. this is similar to when ucla got a basketball player (jjk) who turned out to be a standout in track. if parker goes out for track she will be the us womens athlete of the 1st decade of this millenium.

Re: tennessee getting future world record holder???????

She won't jump 7ft or 25 ft, she's what 6'4" and can barely do a one-handed dunk. She didn't win that dunk competition, it was given to her as a publicity stunt. I'm 5'10" and I can dunk, but you won't see me jumping 7ft in high jump. Of course, if you were being facetious, it's a funny post.

Comment

And what is the date tomorrow? :-)

Comment

I had the same thought as doug when I read the story in today's LA Times (who said she won the competition fair-and-square). It showed a picture; she's 6'3" and is certainly a great HJ prospect, although 7' is pushing it. Even at my best I could never dunk and I'm 6'2".

Comment

>And what is the date tomorrow? :-)

April 1. However, what is the date today?

Comment

>I had the same thought as doug when I read the story in today's LA Times (who
            >said she won the competition fair-and-square). It showed a picture; she's 6'3"
            >and is certainly a great HJ prospect, although 7' is pushing it. Even at my
            >best I could never dunk and I'm 6'2".>>

And I could at 5-9, but yet you high jumped 18 inches higher than me. How fair is that?!

Comment

April 1, 2004 Greenwich (Universal) Time. Even it were not meant as a joke, it still is.

Comment

">April 1, 2004 Greenwich (Universal) Time. Even it were not meant as a joke, it
                >still is."

As a Euro I certainly know about GMT; however, is it legit to run an April's Fools joke on March 31? So, was it true or not?

GH...the HJ-er dunking business always seemed odd to me. I seem to remember reading Dwight couldn't dunk either, is that the case?

Comment

http://www.bballx.com/player.php?first= ... ast=Parker

Scroll down...there's even someone selling a pic of her dunking on ebay!

Comment

Dunking; and the more or less creative ones by her, is as much as factor of her being able to palm the ball as much as anything else.

Her actual CMJ is likely about 20 to 21 inches.
                    It doesnt need to be any higher for her to dunk and certainly not in the fashion she does in the video clips.

For her to be more than say a 6' / 1.83m high jumper she would need to lose weight to both increase her vertical as well as affect ability to drape.

Wont happen. She will stay at her current weight and the lifting they will put her through at UTenn will just trade fat for muscle tissue.

Now if you want to open a topic, how about what Shaq could do in the Glide Shot Put...

Comment

photo at

http://sportsmed.starwave.com/i/magazin ... parker.jpg

ain't no 7' or 6'8 or 6'4 or even 6' gonna happen. I've got a 6'2 girl with a 22" vertical and good technique. She's made 5'2. I did however see Viktoria Andonova (HS Jr.) jump at the Florida Relays last week. She made 6'. She comes at the bar from way off to the side at a dead sprint and glides in a long arc. Close miss at 6'1, which she's already made this year. She's built like Acuff, but even skinnier. Mom was mean motor scooter jumper - 6'9 WR in 84. She attends a S. Fla HS, Coral Springs, and will naturalize I've heard. Also a 41' TJer.

Comment

I've got a 6'2 girl with a 22"
                        >vertical and good technique. She's made 5'2."

What? If you're her coach I certainly wouldn't have posted that. How can she be 6'2", with a 22" vertical and have "good technique", only manage 1 foot lower than her height?

I do reliase that there are many intangibles in the creation of a decent HJ-er; aptitude, attitude, work ethic etc. however, without knowing what this young lady weighs or having an idea about her physical proportions, I certainly wouldn't just write off a 6'3", 17 yo girl who can dunk!

Comment

yeah, mark, me too.... I'm only 6'0", could only hj 1.97, but i could dunk a soccer ball pretty well; hands too small to grip a basketball with one hand ! Maybe that was your problem too... surely if you could hj as high as you did and you're 6'2" you had the leaping ability. Did you ever try a soccer ball ( or did you call those "footballs" ?

Comment

"If you're her coach I certainly wouldn't have posted that."

I would not have believed it if I weren't her coach. Everything looks good mechanically, but she just doesn't convert her 'potential' into 'heights cleared.' Trust me, I've had other coaches work with her too. I'm not proud of this fact, but tallness and vertical leaping ability are only two of the variables and obviously the intangibles weigh more in this case. What have we all been saying about Marion's LJ potential? Gail looks good over the hurdles and obviously is the fastest in the hurdles field, yet Felicien beats her. The longer you coach, the more you realize physical potential is a long ways from results.

Comment

I would not
                              >have believed it if I weren't her coach. Everything looks good mechanically,
                              >but she just doesn't convert her 'potential' into 'heights cleared.' Trust me,
                              >I've had other coaches work with her too. I'm not proud of this fact, but
                              >tallness and vertical leaping ability are only two of the variables and
                              >obviously the intangibles weigh more in this case. What have we all been saying
                              >about Marion's LJ potential? Gail looks good over the hurdles and obviously is
                              >the fastest in the hurdles field, yet Felicien beats her. The longer you coach,
                              >the more you realize physical potential is a long ways from results.

Her problem is that she is falling over the bar not jumping. This results from not having the strength to convert speed into vertical power.

Comment

Working...
                              X