Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KENYAN FRESHMAN RUNING SPRINTS !!!!!!!!!!

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BisonHurdler
    replied
    Re: KENYAN FRESHMAN RUNING SPRINTS !!!!!!!!!!

I'm not so sure i BELIEVE it, but, then again you have things like Beamon's jump, etc, which happen. I'm not saying it wasn't wind-aide, and i'm certainly not saying it was definitely clean, but i suppose it's a possibility......

But i'm sure it'll just remain a subject of much conjecture for eternity, with no real answers.

Leave a comment:

• Mel
    replied

Sorry make that 0.17, slightly less absurd.

Leave a comment:

• Mel
    replied

"Although, from most "official" accounts, the wind blowing during the womens' 100m final was a crosswind, not aiding at all.

Who knows........."

Epistemological considerations aside, does it make sense to you that Florence just suddenly ran 0.27 faster than she did in the Olympic final, the Trials final, and the Olympic quarters, (converting the 10.54, 10.61, and 10.62 using 0.04/m/s they all come out to 10.66), all in one race? That's totally absurd.

Leave a comment:

• BisonHurdler
    replied

>Quite right, my mistake. Thanks for the corrections.

BTW 10.49 would need a
    >3.5m/s wind to convert to a windless 10.66.

Well, considering Carl Lewis had a 9.78 negated by a +5.2 wind that same day, it is conceivable.

Although, from most "official" accounts, the wind blowing during the womens' 100m final was a crosswind, not aiding at all.

Who knows.........

Leave a comment:

• Sprint Stat Man
    replied

Quite right, my mistake. Thanks for the corrections.

BTW 10.49 would need a 3.5m/s wind to convert to a windless 10.66.

Leave a comment:

• Mel
    replied

"VERY VERY roughly, each 1.0 m/s of wind provides around 0.1 sec of assistance."

This is not correct, a much more accurate number is 0.04 per 1.0 m/s of wind. Using this figure, all of Flojo's 3 best runs of 1988 (with the exception of her 10.49 for which the real wind is unknown) convert to the exact same time, 10.66.

Leave a comment:

• BisonHurdler
    replied

A headwind is indicated by a minus sign in
    >front of the wind reading (eg -1.2m/s).

VERY VERY roughly, each 1.0 m/s of
    >wind provides around 0.1 sec of assistance. Thus Obuon's 10.20 (3.1m/s) is
    >worth around 10.50 in windless conditions, or 10.30 with the maximum (2.0m/s)
    >wind. This suggests that with reasonable conditions the Kenyan record is within
    >his grasp.

Actually, according to http://desert.jsd.claremont.edu/~newt/track/wind/ , his 10.20, with +3.1 wind, without factoring in Altitude (I don't know what Raleigh's altitude is) converts to 10.35 in a windless condition.

Leave a comment:

• Sprint Stat Man
    replied

Well, if the wind is behind the sprinters it helps them, if it is in their faces it slows them down. The stonger the wind, the greater the assistance or hindrance. So far so simple eh?

A wind greater than 2.0 meters per second is considered 'wind assisted'. Only non-wind assisted performances, ie those with a tailwind of 2.0m/s or less, count as records. Any meet or athlete who claims a wind assisted time as a 'record' is a fraud, or very ignorant. Wind assisted races still stand as results, though, the performance isn't invalid, it just isn't eligible for a record.

A headwind is indicated by a minus sign in front of the wind reading (eg -1.2m/s).

VERY VERY roughly, each 1.0 m/s of wind provides around 0.1 sec of assistance. Thus Obuon's 10.20 (3.1m/s) is worth around 10.50 in windless conditions, or 10.30 with the maximum (2.0m/s) wind. This suggests that with reasonable conditions the Kenyan record is within his grasp.

Leave a comment:

• trkstr
    replied

hey guys,i really don't understand the aspect of wind in the sprints,may you guys just tell me how the wind stuff works coz in some races its -2.3 and others +3.1 I just wanna know how affects the time in either -ve way or +ve way.
    Obuon is gonna run faster being that he's only been introduced to the world of training just bearly 6months ago when he first came to United states.

Leave a comment:

• DecFan
    replied

Yes, Sprint Stat Man is right - 10.29 was a typo. The web site referenced in my post has the record as 10.28.

Thanks for the wind reading on Obuon's run. He may well have the national record by the end of the season.

Leave a comment:

• Sprint Stat Man
    replied

Obuon's 10.20 was wa (+3.1). Fastest auto time run by a Kenyan in any conditions though.

Kenyan record is 10.28 by Joseph Gikonyo in 1990. Kennedy Ondiek ran 9.9h in 1991 and ran in Tokyo '91 (ht) and Barcelona '92 (qf). Peter Wekesa made the qf in Seoul '88. Further back, Seraphino Antao made the sf in Rome '60. That's about it for Kenyan short sprinters.

Leave a comment:

• trkstr
    replied

well lets wait and see what he's gonna do this outdoor season coz now he's one of the fastest collegiate in the country.

Leave a comment:

• tafnut
    replied

Don't tell Entine - it would ruin years of research.

Leave a comment:

• DecFan
    replied

Looks like Obuon's run makes him the Kenyan 100m national record holder. This link

http://www.athlerecords.net/Records/AFR ... RECKEN.txt

says the record as of the end of last summer was 10.29, Gikonyo 1990.

Most of the great Kenya distance runners have been Kalenjins (with notable exceptions like Yobes Ondieki and John Ngugi). I would guess from the name that Obuon is Luo.

And to follow up on Dan's statement: Kenya has the 4th fastest national 400 record in the world (44.18, Samson Kitur), and is only .04 seconds out of 2nd. Even back in 1972, Kenya won the 4x400 and Kenya's Julius Sang took the 400 bronze. (I didn't think of him at the time, but Sang deserved to be mentioned in the "most beautiful stride" thread. Perfectly fluid.)

Leave a comment:

• Track fan
    replied

I was about to reply that Kenya has produced decent endurance sprinters over the years. It's just not as well known because of their dominance at distances above 400 metres.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X