Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• typically late entries, or.....?

Athletes (or whomever in their support group is responsible for so-doing) are notoriously slow for getting nationals entries in, and with almost a week before the USATF starts, why rush, right?

Having said that, look at this list of notable women who have yet to file an entry, in a year where there's almost nothing at stake if you don't run in Des Moines, might we see a return to the dreary years of Houston '89 & Cerritos '90, when "nationals" was a bit of a misnomer?

Not entered yet:
    Carmelita Jeter
    Miki Barber
    Katie Waits
    Jessica Pixler
    Maureen McCandless
    Toni Salucci
    Magdalena Lewy-Boulet
    Dawn Harper
    Danielle Carruthers
    Lashinda Demus
    Tiffany Williams
    Adriane Stone
    Chelsea Johnson
    April Kubishta
    Akiba McKinney
    Janay Deloach
    Shani Marks
    Michelle Carter
    Marissa Tschida
    Diana & Julie Pickler
    Lela Nelson

Re: typically late entries, or.....?

Even with that many of the women (and men) who are currently entered have a very good chance at withdrawing and/or possibly only running a round or two.

Comment

Am wondering if this has anything to do with Pre being a week or so after the trials.

Comment

Only if an athlete considers Pre more important...which financially speaking, I guess it is from a prize money standpoint.

Comment

Especially seeing that it is now a part of the diamond league.

Comment

And here's a men's list:

Tyson Gay
            Mike Rodgers
            Doc Patton
            Miles Smith
            Andrew Wheating
            Johnathan Johnson
            Chris Solinsky
            Abdi Abdirahman
            Meb Keflezighi
            Dathan Ritzenhein
            Jorge Torres
            Terrence Trammell
            Angelo Taylor
            Jason Colwick
            Scott Roth
            Miguel Pate
            Matt Turner

Comment

Orgonian article recently linked on front page has Lanana saying Wheating and Eaton won't compete at USATF Champs because they need rest. I think Wheating previously indicated intent to run Pre.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                . . . in a year where there's almost nothing at stake if you don't run in Des Moines, might we see a return to the dreary years of Houston '89 & Cerritos '90, when "nationals" was a bit of a misnomer?
                Yep. Also consider that it's been reported that many coaches are presently upset with USATF, and I've heard the same about the agents. Maybe someone cares to see if they can find some common links among non-entered athletes.

Comment

Jason Colwick might be retiring. I didn't have a chance to interview him at NCAAs, but I heard he was leaning toward using his degree and making a lot of money instead of just being a pole vault bum that barely gets by.

Comment

Why is Allyson Felix in the 100 only? I admit that VCB defeated her at the start in their New York 200. If Felix needs to run some 100s, she could enter Diamond League meets that have 100 - 800 only. She has been ranked in the World Top 10 by T&FN, so an invitation is reasonable. In fact, she even scratched the 100 at the 2007 World Championships, but ran 100 at WAF that year.

Is she afraid to run a championships 400? She ran at USAT&F Indoors, but wrote on her IAAF blog that she "trained through" indoor meets - a perfect excuse.

Perhaps a reply will state that she had "other plans." That ignores the question of "WHY?" She could have run 400 at the Outdoor USAT&F in 2009 and 2010 with no penalty. Same for 2011.
                    Her best event may be 400. Will we ever know?

I bought a book of Brutus Hamilton's quotes from T&FN 40 years ago. He said that sometimes an athlete appears who could dominate for a decade, but some personalty quirk prevents that domination. I fear that Felix fits that description.
                    none

Comment

Unless somebody has a major hankering to compete in the Continental Cup, or has a rider in their shoe contract that requires it, why would any high-level pro want to run in the USATF this year, unless they felt they realllly needed a lower-level bit of competition (in virtually every event) before heading off to Europe?

Sad but true.

I fear the good folks in Des Moines may be in for a bit of a letdown.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                        Unless somebody has a major hankering to compete in the Continental Cup
                        But there's no separate US team competing in that, so participation in the US nationals shouldn't matter for team selection purposes (BTW, do we even know what the selection criteria are for the Americas team?)
                        Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                          Unless somebody has a major hankering to compete in the Continental Cup, or has a rider in their shoe contract that requires it, why would any high-level pro want to run in the USATF this year, unless they felt they realllly needed a lower-level bit of competition (in virtually every event) before heading off to Europe?

Sad but true.

I agree. Why not use USAT&F to prepare for those athletes who want to compete in the Continental Cup? Have a two day meet when the European and African Championships are finishing. Allow ONLY the eight best athletes to enter. Limit the meet to Contential Cup events eg. have a 3000. That would save precious $ and connect the meet to the Continental Cup in the minds of spectators.

The 10,000, multis and road events for USAT&F could be held at the end of June in a cool site such as Buffalo, Boise or Seattle.

USAT&F would be a last chance for US athletes to make the "TOP TWO" for the Americas team. They would be the next level below the "high - level pro." Why not try it?
                          none

Comment

Originally posted by Powell
                            Originally posted by gh
                            Unless somebody has a major hankering to compete in the Continental Cup
                            But there's no separate US team competing in that, so participation in the US nationals shouldn't matter for team selection purposes (BTW, do we even know what the selection criteria are for the Americas team?)
                            David Oliver said in his interview here that the two best marks as of July 31 will be selected. I assume that participation is voluntary!!
                            none

Comment

Originally posted by gh

Sad but true.

This is why we have a marginal sport and fault can be spread far and wide. Being a National Champion is not valued in the US unless you can move on to something else. The side benefit will be that the lack of entries and any perception of tepid attendance will be used against Des Moines when determining where the 2016 National Championships will be held. But's it's important, it's the Olympic Trials!!! The NC in certain years is more important than others? It sure is and it's not the fault of the 'good folks in Des Moines'.

Comment

Working...
                              X