Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USA Outdoors-Des Moines-Anyone coming from near or far

Anyone out there on the message boards have plans to attend USA Outdoor meet next week in Des Moines?

I am and I cant wait! I know it is a non championship year and all that but I am really looking forward to seeing a lot of athletes perform that I havent had a chance to see in person.

Also, I am looking forward to helping Drake University and Des Moines put on a great meet for the athletes and coaches and USA Track and Field officials. Our goal is to get the 2016 Olympic Trials and next week is a great opportunity to show many people that we can do it!

Re: USA Outdoors-Des Moines-Anyone coming from near or far

I decided not to go. Too far and I have too much other stuff going on... putting on a track meet this Saturday and two beach vaults the weekends after USAs.

Comment

Wanted to go but no rooms and getting into town is a chore too

Comment

I'll be there with TV--first time in Des Moines since the 1970 NCAA meet! Hurts when I do the math

Comment

Why do they continue to have these meets in places that it's expensive/difficult to get in to??? NY, Miami, LA, SF Bay area....these are hubs that are affordable and have many flights at reasonable prices.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Murphy
            I'll be there with TV--first time in Des Moines since the 1970 NCAA meet! Hurts when I do the math
            Walt...what's the TV schedule?

Comment

Originally posted by lovetorun

Walt...what's the TV schedule?
              From USATF's website:

ESPN, June 25 8:00-10:00 pm
              ESPN, June 26 1:00-2:30 pm
              NBC, June 26 3:00-4:00 pm
              ESPN, June 27 1:00-2:30 pm
              NBC, June 27 3:00-4:00 pm

http://www.usatf.org/events/2010/VisaCh ... pionships/

Comment

You'll hear my voice from time to time.

Comment

I personally think it is USATF's quest to get to people to visit all 50 states. When I make it to Iowa next week I would have personally been to about 44 states because of track and field and my time spent back East while in college. I don't think I will ever make it to Alaska or Hawaii but the last 4 are not out of the realm of possibilities with the obscure nature of the venues for our national championship. Can still remember taking a 3 hour flight to Portland, Oregon and then driving 2 hours to get to Eugene. Also remember doing the same for the Junior Nationals that were held in College Station.

Still need to go to Montana, Michigan, North and South Dakota. Looking forward to meets in these states.

Comment

Am looking forward in going to Des Moines. Have been to a number of Drake Relays events. Hopefully the athletes will be coming. It is a good venue for track and field.

Comment

<<It is a good venue for track and field.>>

It's a great venue for track, good venue for jumps and a horrid venue for long throws (which are held outside the stadium).

IMHO, that in itself should DQ it from ever staging the Olympic Trials. (To be honest, it also makes the NCAA far less enjoyable)

Comment

I wouldnt say it is a horrid long throws venue-it is a big improvement from what they had a few years back, when the long throws were contested several blocks away.

In regards to the venue for the long throws DQing Drake from ever hosting the Olympic Trials-thats right, it is your opinion. Personally I think Drake and Des Moines would be a great host for the Olympic Trials. They have proved it over the years with the Drake Relays, NCAA two years ago, NCAA regional in 07 that were the best attended of the four regionals. I know Drake will bid on the '16 Olympic Trials, hopefully they will be given due consideration. I dont doubt one bit that Eugene is Track Town USA(never been there-would I like to go-you bet!)-but anyone who thinks it would be good for the sport to always have it in the same location every year is not looking at the big picture.

Comment

And the snafu's are not enhancing Eugene's reputation any.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Murphy
                            first time in Des Moines since the 1970 NCAA meet!
                            1970 was my first time there also. Then attended most Relays since. I'm looking forward to next week in my usual seat. Long drive but always worth it.

Comment

The long throws area is not ideal, but far for horrid. Prior to the remodel, cross the street(no longer there), walk a block to Drake's rec field and there you are. Now you don't have to leave the stadium area to see the throws. Your seat, yes, but it's much much better than it was.

Why only 'good' on the jumps?

Comment

Working...
                              X