Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USA Outdoors-Des Moines-Anyone coming from near or far

Ned why do we need a grass infield? The field turfs are plenty good enough for the field event.

Drake is the easiest place to hold the event BY far with its 12k bleacher setting and an entore backstretch open for temp stands.
    If grass infields are the hold up then we can end this conversation now and move on because we already know the answer to this thread, we already run meets at the eligible locales.

GH that is at the core of this entire conversation isn't it? But I imagine if the base of socal was tapped into it could be done.

As I said we can go on knocking every location and an idea, and we can remain right where we are. Evolve and grow, solve problems and try new innovative things, not attempt to return to the 70s in all ways. Those days got us here, build on it dont sit on it. We do not run on cinder or crushed brick anymore either.

Comment

Some of you, I think, are missing my point(s). The demographics of the fan/official/support base of our sport is increasing in age. The sport doesn't exist as it used to, only in the older fans minds. We are 3 decades past the apex of the relevance of the sport at it's highest level in this country, yet, we still have a great base at the grass roots level, millions of kids who participate. Where do they all go??? Why are they not filling up the stands somewhere??? They obviously got turned off at some point.

If I was a 37 year old parent with a 12 year old who is participating in track, where can i take them to see a "professional" meet??? Hey, what better meet than the National Championships?? Assuming we are a family of 3, I can spend 3-4g's to take them to Des Moines for our summer vacay, or do we go to Orlando to Disneyworld or maybe Hawaii, a cruise or somewhere that has some activities that interest our YOUNG FANS. A poster mentioned Des Moines has some bars, an art festival the Indy 250, etc.... are those really things that are going to convince a family to spend all of or part of their vacations here? As a parent and a track fan, I would be willing to spend that money if I had some other things to convince the young one that there was something in it for them too. We are NOT trying to hook the young fan or the NEW fan, just doing things to keep the old fans involved until they pass or are unable to participate in the sport anymore, and that's sad.

We need new thinking. It's clear that the old way of thinking is leading to the eventual death of t&f in this country. The dual meet is not coming back, and if it were, it needs to be in a new and improved format. We will never have another USA vs USSR meet. We aren't going to all bond together to root against the hated East Germans. Those days are not coming back, but we are acting as if they are. I don't have the answers, nor am I being paid to find them. All i know, is that having our "crown jewel" of a meet annually with low fanfare in places that no one under the age of 40 (the future of the sport on a fan and administrative level) can afford to nor wants to go to for a week (and would never go to if not for the meet itself) has proven not to be the answer either.

Comment

Eugene is as inaccessable for most outside the Northwest than Des Moines or most other places being considered. It is very cool and green and pleasantly pastoral when you get there but if you are coming from beyond a days drive, you have the choice of the logistical nuisance of flying into Portland, rental car, etc and a incrementally expensive direct or commuter flight into Eugene.
        Fayetteville is about the same dilema. Fly into Tulsa, 110 miles away, or expensive flight into Springfield, which, unless you have other arrangement, still requires a rental car.
        To paraphrase a BP executive, I am just looking out for the "small people."

Comment

A 12 year old? That would be Adventureland Amusement Park just outside Des Moines. It's nice, but comparing Disney to most anyplace is not going to rate well. How about Washington DC? No 12 year old would choose DC over Orlando. Or most any other place. I really like the Des Moines sucks posts by people who have never been here or compare the place with Orlando, or Chicago, or New York. Duh. Would Eugene without an event at Oregon fare better? As also mentioned in previous posts, you can't host if you don't bid. I'd love to see a world class track and field facility in Chicago, or Orlando, or DC, but there isn't one. So where does whining about people who did pony up $15,000,000 to remodel a facility to host T&F events get us? Not very far. What will prevent Des Moines from hosting future events is when our events are perceived as $$ events and not just T&F events. What you should hope for is unanticipated attendance so others can think if Des Moines can do it-----

Comment

Originally posted by TrakFan
            Originally posted by lovetorun

Walt...what's the TV schedule?
            From USATF's website:

ESPN, June 25 8:00-10:00 pm
            ESPN, June 26 1:00-2:30 pm
            NBC, June 26 3:00-4:00 pm
            ESPN, June 27 1:00-2:30 pm
            NBC, June 27 3:00-4:00 pm

http://www.usatf.org/events/2010/VisaCh ... pionships/
            So I guess the 400 final will not shown :evil:

Comment

[quote="high knees
              With this meet in Des Moines I can [b]GUARANTEE[/b] two things: 1) there will be few, if any new fans introduced to the sport and 2). it's gonna rain/thunder/lightning sometime during the meet which is bad for the fans and the athletes.

Wow, this is quite the comment: Who do you think you are-God? These guarantees you make show you dont quite know as much as you think you do! I know of at least two new fans that will be there this week-my 7 year old son and my wife. my son is helping me today as a volunteer and also will be attending part of the meet with me as a "new fan". I take him any chance I get cause I want to get him exposed to the sport at a young age. I can't guarantee that he will turn out to be a track AND field nut like I am, but I will make sure he gets plenty of exposure so that he can make that decision for himself as he gets older. And going along with this, regarding my son, he CANT WAIT til he is old enough to start helping me in the pressbox at the Drake Relays!

I am also taking my wife part of the time as a "new fan" because I want to get her exposed to the sport as well. She has wanted for several years to go to the Drake Relays with me but it never seemed to work out.

In regards to the weather-no one except God knows what the weather is going to be like. This comment of yours saying you can guarantee inclement weather sometime during this week in Des Moines is ridiculous. If you think a track meet is going to be held in perfect weather in a perfect location all the time, you are crazy.

Why dont you come up with some viable solutions for the so called problems USA T & F currently has, instead of always complaining about what is wrong!

I would write more, but I have to get ready to take my son over to Drake Stadium soon so we can volunteer and help put on a great meet for the fans and athletes!

Comment

Originally posted by proofs in the pudd'in
                Originally posted by TrakFan
                Originally posted by lovetorun

Walt...what's the TV schedule?
                From USATF's website:

ESPN, June 25 8:00-10:00 pm
                ESPN, June 26 1:00-2:30 pm
                NBC, June 26 3:00-4:00 pm
                ESPN, June 27 1:00-2:30 pm
                NBC, June 27 3:00-4:00 pm

http://www.usatf.org/events/2010/VisaCh ... pionships/
                So I guess the 400 final will not shown :evil:

The times above are ET. Both 400s(W-2:36 & M-2:44 local) will be in the NBC show on Saturday.

Comment

^ Sweet! How did I not think of that - DUH!

Comment

Originally posted by proofs in the pudd'in
                    ^ Sweet! How did I not think of that - DUH!
                    happens to the best of us!

Comment

[quote=bigdrakefan]
                      Originally posted by "high knees
                      With this meet in Des Moines I can [b
                      GUARANTEE[/b] two things: 1) there will be few, if any new fans introduced to the sport and 2). it's gonna rain/thunder/lightning sometime during the meet which is bad for the fans and the athletes.

Wow, this is quite the comment: Who do you think you are-God? These guarantees you make show you dont quite know as much as you think you do! I know of at least two new fans that will be there this week-my 7 year old son and my wife. my son is helping me today as a volunteer and also will be attending part of the meet with me as a "new fan". I take him any chance I get cause I want to get him exposed to the sport at a young age. I can't guarantee that he will turn out to be a track AND field nut like I am, but I will make sure he gets plenty of exposure so that he can make that decision for himself as he gets older. And going along with this, regarding my son, he CANT WAIT til he is old enough to start helping me in the pressbox at the Drake Relays!

I am also taking my wife part of the time as a "new fan" because I want to get her exposed to the sport as well. She has wanted for several years to go to the Drake Relays with me but it never seemed to work out.

In regards to the weather-no one except God knows what the weather is going to be like. This comment of yours saying you can guarantee inclement weather sometime during this week in Des Moines is ridiculous. If you think a track meet is going to be held in perfect weather in a perfect location all the time, you are crazy.

Why dont you come up with some viable solutions for the so called problems USA T & F currently has, instead of always complaining about what is wrong!

I would write more, but I have to get ready to take my son over to Drake Stadium soon so we can volunteer and help put on a great meet for the fans and athletes!
                      Hey BDFan! It looks like the Good Lord might be a track and field fan after all! Wednesday touchy, but things are looking better than a few days ago. Is high 70's/low80's and little humidity too much to ask? Probably, but the storms may take a hiatus.

Comment

As for the long throws, even Eugene holds the hammer throw outside the stadium, and that's a track-only venue. The Drake setup is similar to the LSU setup which last hosted the NCAA's in 2002. Come to think of it, I guess there aren't that many facilities in the U.S. that host all the throws in the main stadium.

Comment

Working...
                        X