Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Bolt snub his fans at the Adidas Grand Prix?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Bolt snub his fans at the Adidas Grand Prix?

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sports/D ... ican-fans-

Did Usain Bolt snub Jamaican fans?

Sat in stands at Adidas Grand Prix

Friday, June 18, 2010

JAMAICAN sprint sensation, The Hon Usain Bolt was in New York last weekend to attend the Adidas Grand Prix at Icahn Stadium. Bolt was one of many Jamaican athletes who were booked to compete at the Diamond League event.

As was reported in the press, Bolt was unable to compete at the event because of an injury he sustained a few weeks ago. As it turns out Bolt attended the meet. Many fans expected and we were led to believe that despite his injury he would attend the Grand Prix to acknowledge the thousands of Jamaican fans

================================================== ==============================

Not just his Jamaican fans were felt snubbed. As a spectator at the meet, I was very disappointed that Bolt didn’t at least get introduced to the crowd. Everyone knew why he wasn’t running and for him to actually leave Jamaica and come to the meet and not even get introduced the huge crowd(even for a few seconds) is a huge disappointment.

Fans of Usain Bolt knew he was going to be there. It was mentioned in the paper a few days before the meet. I even got a chance to hug his mother after the meet and I asked her where her son was, and she said that she didn’t know but he should be around.

Bolt knows that he is the biggest draw in the sport, and he was the reason why tickets for the meet were sold out weeks before it was announced he wasn’t going to run. The least he( and his handlers) could have done is to make sure he got announced to the crowd, wave for a few seconds and that was it. Maurice Greene was there on the field and did get announced to the crowd and they gave him some love back.

Shame on you Mr. Bolt. We luv you still.

Re: Did Bolt snub his fans at the Adidas Grand Prix?

I was in the stands and didn't feel that he snub me. The guy want to keep a low profile at the meet, and support his follow athletes.

VCB victory was just what the doctor order.

Comment

Give the kid a break.

Had he asked to be anounced to the crowd how would that have looked?

"Pssst...um...announce that I'm here, will ya? It's the least I can do."

:?
      The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

This was my fourth consecutive time at the meet and didn't feel snubbed, though I did think it was strange that he wasn't more visible and/or signing autographs (apologies if he were and didn't see him). I remember a few years back when Lui Xiang had to pull out at the last minute and went on the track to apologize to the stadium. This stuck out in my mind as very classy since a lot of people (including non track-fans) came just to see him. Granted it isn't uncommon for track stars to have to pull out every now and then but we only get so many top tier meets on the east coast to see them...

Comment

I heard that Gay was in the stands as well, but I never saw either.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
            I heard that Gay was in the stands as well, but I never saw either.
            Yea they were both there, and im surprised they were able to keep such a low profile at such a big meet.

But I dont see how bolt snubed his fans. I mean cant he just take one day to stay low key and enjoy a track meet without the media and fans bombarding him.

Comment

Jamaican journalists need something new to whine about. :roll:
              http://img2.pict.com/c9/f0/bf/2845608/0/b.jpg

Comment

Both Gay and Bolt were interviewed by NBC at the meet. There had been some talk of having them introduced to the crowd together, but only if it could be done early in the schedule. Those plans apparently went out the window when Bolt arrived late after missing the bus from meet headquarters in midtown Manhattan!

Comment

I guess I'm a little confused. Is it Bolt's responsibility to have himself introduced to the crowd? I mean is he supposed to check in somewhere and say, "I'm here." I'm sure the meet announcers and staff knew where he was sitting. The camera man, no doubt, knew where he was. He did attend as did Gay and other athletes who were not able to compete. To me, a snub would have been if he decided not to attend. It must have been quite hard for him wanting to compete and not being able.
                  If you're ever walking down the beach and you see a girl dressed in a bikini made out of seashells, and you pick her up and hold her to your ear, you can hear her scream.

Comment

Working...
                  X