X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolt to miss Jamaica Trials/Commonwealth Games

http://www.trackalerts.com/?p=9244
    By Anthony Foster, trackalerts.com

Usain Bolt, the world’s fastest man, will not compete at the Jamaica National Championships (Trials) next weekend and is also slated to miss the Commonwealth Games in New Delhi, India.

Bolt, who suffered an achilles tendon injury, was advised after careful consultation with Dr. Hans Müller-Wohlfahrt to take a 2-3 week break as a precautionary measure to avoid risking further damage.
    ================================================== ==============================

I don't have problem with Bolt missing the Nationals Champs but what's the deal with Yohan Blake possibly missing it as well according to the story.

For someone like Blake(on his way back from a brief suspension last year), the National Champs should be a great opportunity to come around again and he could possibly win it since Bolt is not there. I am not sure if Asafa is participating. I hope Asafa runs there as well and eventually defend his Commonwealth 100m Title in India this October.

Blake has not been running in Europe and thus, he needs to run wherever he can to put himself back on the track and field map.

Re: Bolt to miss Jamaica Trials/Commonwealth Games

Originally posted by notorious
    http://www.trackalerts.com/?p=9244
    I don't have problem with Bolt missing the Nationals Champs but what's the deal with Yohan Blake possibly missing it as well according to the story.

For someone like Blake(on his way back from a brief suspension last year), the National Champs should be a great opportunity to come around again and he could possibly win it since Bolt is not there. I am not sure if Asafa is participating. I hope Asafa runs there as well and eventually defend his Commonwealth 100m Title in India this October.

Blake has not been running in Europe and thus, he needs to run wherever he can to put himself back on the track and field map.

I agree with this. I would further say that the JAAA should use this championship and National trials as an important and much needed transitioning phase, where the emphasis is put on maximum participation from all 19-24 year old Jamaican athletes athletes except for Bolt and Frazer, whether amateur (NCAA, Utech,GC Foster, UWI)or professional similar to how Brazil uses the Confederations cup and maximizes on their youth participation in the olympics.... if only it could have been made mandatory that all the 19-24 yr. olds compete.

PS. I would strongly discourage the older and most successful athletes not to try out(selfish; I know but the bigger picture lies two successive years away).

Comment

notorious, my info says that Asafa will be running at Trials but will not be going to the CWG.
      Regards,
      toyracer

Comment

The Sunday Telegraph (Sydney) ran a story that Bolt is being offered $1m to race in Australia in September prior to CG. Story is here.

Comment

Good for Bolt. He is worth every penny he is being paid.

Comment

Originally posted by toyracer
            notorious, my info says that Asafa will be running at Trials but will not be going to the CWG.

Thanks

Comment

Maybe Yohan Blake is going to take part at the last moment, because there are no reasons why he shouldn't. If there is one Jamaican athlete that many Jamaicans feel should be at trial, is Yohan Blake. Competing at trials and CG will do him a way of good. He is 20 years old and has pass jitters on Junior level and now it keeps showing its ugly face in his pro career.

Comment

Originally posted by Trackfans08
                Maybe Yohan Blake is going to take part at the last moment, because there are no reasons why he shouldn't. If there is one Jamaican athlete that many Jamaicans feel should be at trial, is Yohan Blake. Competing at trials and CG will do him a way of good. He is 20 years old and has pass jitters on Junior level and now it keeps showing its ugly face in his pro career.
                One disadvantage of big money in Jamaican track.

Comment

I'll hold off to make a final comment until I know for sure Yohan Blake, will not be at trials. Am holding onto a slim chance he might take part.

Just to look ahead a bit, all things hold true to form and all, next year's Jamaica National Trials will be off the chains. Four spot available with Usain Bolt already penciled in, barring injury. If Dexter Lee improve on his time, it will be a battle royal for the last two spots.

Comment

Originally posted by Trackfans08
                    I'll hold off to make a final comment until I know for sure Yohan Blake, will not be at trials. Am holding onto a slim chance he might take part.

Just to look ahead a bit, all things hold true to form and all, next year's Jamaica National Trials will be off the chains. Four spot available with Usain Bolt already penciled in, barring injury. If Dexter Lee improve on his time, it will be a battle royal for the last two spots.

Unless Lee does something crazy at the World Junior Championships next month, he will play second fiddle to Bolt, Asafa, Carter and Blake at next year's championships.

Comment

I believe Blake is by-passing the Commonwealth Games for the same reason Bolt will be....

The two Track Racers will be preparing for the World Champs in 2011, and taking part in a CWG in the autumn doesn't fit into the preparation schedule.
                      My heart is still in the Caribbean....

Comment

dat Yohan Blake should go to the trials and the CWG, he is doing too much crap....False starting, celebrating before the line for second place ..............etccccccccc.

Comment

Notorious - what does World Juniors in 2010 have to do with 2011. What did Bolt show us in 2007 that prepared us for 2008? What did Frazer do in 2007 to prepare us for 2008? What did Jeter do up to July 2009 to prepare us for August onwards in 2009?

Comment

Originally posted by Alucard
                            What did Bolt show us in 2007 that prepared us for 2008?
                            2007 was Bolt's coming out year: Broke Quarrie's 19.76 NR and got his first WC medal (2nd behind Gay). Got his first 10.03 in 100. Announcing to the world: "I'm really good".

Lee on the other hand, I hope will do something crazy this year (within his own context of course). I just know he has a 10.0x in him right now. Next year will be his coming out year, just in time for London in 2012.

Comment

Working...
                            X