X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Women's Bowerman Winner is...

Queen Harrison, Sr., Virginia Tech,
    Hurdles, Richmond, Va., Hermitage HS

INDOOR: Captured Virginia Tech’s first national title in women’s track and field at the 2010 NCAA Indoor Championships, winning the 60-meter hurdles with a time of 7.95 … set personal, school and ACC meet record with a 2010 collegiate-leading time of 7.94 in the 60-meter hurdles for her first individual ACC Championship … also broke school record in the 400-meter dash three times on the season, and owns the standard at 53.06, which she achieved in another ACC-title performance at the conference championships … was undefeated in 60-meter hurdle competition … named ACC Performer of the Week twice during indoor campaign … USTFCCCA Southeast Region Track Athlete of the Year

OUTDOOR: Became the first female in NCAA history to win both the 100- and 400-meter hurdle national titles … captured the 100-meter hurdles title with a time of 12.67, after winning the 400-meter hurdles earlier in the championship with a school-record time of 54.55 … Harrison broke the school record in the 100-meter hurdles, clocking a 2010 collegiate-leading 12.61 en route to the Penn Relays championship … also won the ACC crowns in the 100-meter and 400-meter hurdles … named ACC Women’s Track MVP honors for the outdoor season, the Penn Relays Women’s Individual Athlete of the Meet and has won the conference’s weekly award three times this year … USTFCCCA Southeast Region Track Athlete of the Year

Besides Phoebe Wright & Semoy Hackett, I don't see no one else coming close to Queen Harrison to winning the Bowermans award. What are your thoughts?

Re: The Women's Bowerman Winner is...

Harrison - Lucas - Hackett in that order

Comment

Can't overlook Lisa Koll--won indoor 5k, outdoor 5&10, and set CR in the 10k.

Comment

You've ignored two legitimate contenders (both with far better credentials than Lucas or Hackett):

•Blessing Okagbare—60/LJ winner indoors, 100/LJ winner outdoors (so she beats Harrison 4-3 in NCAA titles).

•Lisa Koll—5K winner indoors, 5K/10K winner outdoors, so has same NCAA titles as Harrison; but also sets Collegiate Record in 10K, and for many voters records trump everything else.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
          You've ignored two legitimate contenders (both with far better credentials than Lucas or Hackett):

•Blessing Okagbare—60/LJ winner indoors, 100/LJ winner outdoors (so she beats Harrison 4-3 in NCAA titles).

•Lisa Koll—5K winner indoors, 5K/10K winner outdoors, so has same NCAA titles as Harrison; but also sets Collegiate Record in 10K, and for many voters records trump everything else.

You're right! I don't know how I ignored these two contenders. My REVISED Top 3 in the following order:

Winner: Queen Harrison - I think she will win because she went undefeated both indoors & outdoors, and accomplished something no other female in winning both short & long hurdlers in the history of the NCAA.

Runner up: Lisa Koll
          Blessing Okagbare

Comment

Okagbare also did something nobody had ever done before: winning the 100 and LJ :mrgreen:

Comment

Originally posted by gh
              Okagbare also did something nobody had ever done before: winning the 100 and LJ :mrgreen:
              Lewis won a few LF/100 doubles.....

I think that Koll and Harrison both came back from disappointing 2009 seasons and showed that they are dominant performers on the NCAA stage. Koll will have the tougher road on the world stage because US sprinters are at the top, in general, while in the distances they are pushing to get back near the top.

BO's marks are very good -- three tough choices with a great year by Lucas only very good by comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235
                Originally posted by gh
                Lewis won a few LF/100 doubles.....

I think that Koll and Harrison both came back from disappointing 2009 seasons and showed that they are dominant performers on the NCAA stage. Koll will have the tougher road on the world stage because US sprinters are at the top, in general, while in the distances they are pushing to get back near the top.

BO's marks are very good -- three tough choices with a great year by Lucas only very good by comparison.

Lucas was "runner up" last year, but for this year, I don't see her getting an invitation.

Comment

I'd put Theisen and Hutson both ahead of Lucas as well.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                    I'd put Theisen and Hutson both ahead of Lucas as well.
                    I think that Hutson should be getting more publicity than she has been getting. 4 x Champ, not a big-school athlete, nicer than all get out, comes back from broken pole/hand injury, vaulting world-class level already (4.51 and might be going higher soon.

Comment

Working...
                    X