Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Euro Team Cup format vs Diamond League...Euro Cup wins

Would the Euro Team Cup format be a better strategy for the Diamond League? Track and fields greatest differentiator and asset compared to other sports is that it is truly international. Doug Logan had suggested a while back a dual US/Jamaica meet as a way to renew and build fan interest in the sport by playing up the rivalry between the two countries. But taking this idea and building on it why not make the sport about rivalry between competing nations by using the Diamond League as a platform for not just individual competition but also international team competition.

Here is how it could work. Each Diamond League meet would include events from all athletic categories but specific meets would be more heavily skewed towards certain categories. So the NY Grand Prix would for example be more of a sprint meet(100,200,400 men and women), relays and select field events. Prefontaine would be more of a distance competition meet, which would heavily feature distance running with select sprints and field events, Rome would heavily feature field event competition a few sprints and distance races and relays...you get the drift, you can do your own configuration. As with the Euro Cup countries earn points based on their relative placing in each event. For each meet you would have a cup winner - the Adidas or Prefontaine Cup winner whatever you want to call it. So you not only have individual competition going on but another dimension with the international rivalry to see which nation will be the cup winner at each meet. Also this format guarantees that no one country dominates all the meets (since a country that is strong in one category may be weaker in another) and you can always tweak each meet by including/excluding certain events. 

Re: Euro Team Cup format vs Diamond League...Euro Cup wins

Huh? But what about when the 100m ends up just being JAM vs USA? Or the Steeple has 10 Kenyans and noone else? Or the Javelin has 4 Finns? Not sure how you're going to ever have like vs like in terms of number of athletes from a given country.

And what's in it for Blanka Vlasic, Steve Hooker, Valerie Villi, Liu Xiang and many others from countries with few other regular DL participants?

I'd be just happier if the DL went deeper in their point awarding: 1st 3 seems a bit miserly...

Comment

I do not think team rivalry takes away from the rivalry in individual events but instead gives fans a reason to care about the meet as a whole. I was still keenly interested in the outcome of the 100M between Dwain Chambers and Christophe Lemaitre at the Euro Team Cup even though France was not a top contender to win the cup. But watching to see who would prevail as the cup winner was another reason to follow the overall meet.

And why would the 100M be just about US/Jamaica? Trinidad, the UK and other countries have strong contenders who could finish in the top 3. In any event the meets could be setup in a similar way to the Euro Cup where you have one competitor per country or no more than two spots per country based on rankings in the event. The Diamond League point system could still remain in tact where you have overall individual event winners but I do not think the current format creates a strong enough narrative that fans can  connect with or easily follow along to. And this format has the added benefit of giving the casual fan a reason to care other than whether Usain Bolt shows up at the meet.

BTW just got done watching the US/Algeria match at the local green turtle. The atmosphere was close to a superbowl game. Soccer is on it's way in the US - nothing beats international team rivalry when national pride is at stake.

Comment

AS - so what's wrong with 10 Kenyans in the steeple or JAM-USA in the sprints. Do you want to see competition or allocation to athlete from other countries who are not up to "scratch"? When i watch the Masters, Grand Slams or Formula 1 i don't give a hoot which nationality they belong to, just give me Venus and Serena, Connors and McEnroe, Bolt and Asafa, Tiger and whoever. Some of us just want the best, now let the administrators go find a way to market the best instead of embracing the hint of xenophobia which troubles our sport

Comment

Originally posted by Alucard
          AS - so what's wrong with 10 Kenyans in the steeple or JAM-USA in the sprints. Do you want to see competition or allocation to athlete from other countries who are not up to "scratch"? When i watch the Masters, Grand Slams or Formula 1 i don't give a hoot which nationality they belong to, just give me Venus and Serena, Connors and McEnroe, Bolt and Asafa, Tiger and whoever. Some of us just want the best, now let the administrators go find a way to market the best instead of embracing the hint of xenophobia which troubles our sport
          That's my point exactly. The proposal in the original post is that we should "score" the DL meets by country. My point is that this is a futile effort that will engender no greater interest or intrigue as the fields are not balanced in any way that would reflect a team competition... and nor should they be. The sport is an individual one at this level.

Comment

Working...
          X