Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's Gone Pro in 2010?

Be it early or signed a contract after they used their eligibility up at the collegiate level.

The first one I've seen is Francena McCorory - adidas. Anyone know who her agent is?

Also, Porscha Lucas - Saucony. Same agent question for her.

Been a pretty quiet year so far.

Re: Who's Gone Pro in 2010?

It's just rotten timing for anyone looking to turn pro and cash in big right now. There's no major global championship this year, and that's not even the bad news. The sponsors are feeling the economic pinch. I'd be shocked if anyone gets a Walter Dix deal. Those days might be over for a while.

I wonder what a collegiate senior might do if he/she has the option of taking a chump change endorsement deal, or a very attractive 9-to-5 starter gig with a Fortune 500 company. Do they follow their heart or their head?

Comment

Originally posted by vip
      It's just rotten timing for anyone looking to turn pro and cash in big right now. There's no major global championship this year, and that's not even the bad news. The sponsors are feeling the economic pinch. I'd be shocked if anyone gets a Walter Dix deal. Those days might be over for a while.

I wonder what a collegiate senior might do if he/she has the option of taking a chump change endorsement deal, or a very attractive 9-to-5 starter gig with a Fortune 500 company. Do they follow their heart or their head?

i think most would go with a chump change endorsement deal as sports are FUN and most do it for free most of their lives anyways.
      the only exceptions i can think of are former seator bill bradley of princeton (new york knicks) who put a professional sports career on hold to further his education at oxford, and david robinson who wanted a naval career, but he grew too tall to do the job the navy had trained him for, so he went for his second choice the NBA, i am sure there are other exceptions but it is rare.

a perfect example of this is the WNBA where the players make meager salaries, they say at class reunions all their friends are making at least 3-4 times as much as they are, but the love of the game makes it worth it to play basketball instead of going for the more lucrative and safe career their degree will get them.

Comment

former high school star ebony collins is signed with NIKE and she is scheduled to compete at USATF this week.

Comment

Is Ebony the same girl who manage to get herself in trouble on a halloween night?

Originally posted by doug091463
          former high school star ebony collins is signed with NIKE and she is scheduled to compete at USATF this week.

Comment

Originally posted by twinpeeks
            Is Ebony the same girl who manage to get herself in trouble on a halloween night?

No.
            There are no strings on me

Comment

Originally posted by vip
              That's the issue vaulter Jason Colwick of Rice has been wrestling with. He just graduated with a mechanical engineering degree and can make a lot more money with that than he can vaulting.

Comment

Haven't checked out the women, but the only men's collegian with remaining eligibility I can see a shoe company offering a contract worth his while would be Kirani James (who isn't even legally an adult yet!).

That ignores Demps, who would say no based on football desires.

Comment

there is a thread on francena mcrory on letsrun.com, saying she signed for 375k, either things aint so bad for track athletes or that poster on letsrun.com is misinformed.

there was also a thread on letsrun a few daye ago on lisa koll and one poster said she would get between 50-75k and another poster said more like 500-750k.

letsrun has good information sometimes, but these number sound unreal, i mean i read asafa powell had his shoe contract cut to 300k, mccrory making more than powell who is running great in a glamour event, and making over double what asafa powell does, something seems wrong with this picture.

Comment

Well if Francena McCorory did get a lucrative contract w/adidas good for her and congrats!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by doug091463
                      there is a thread on francena mcrory on letsrun.com, saying she signed for 375k, either things aint so bad for track athletes or that poster on letsrun.com is misinformed.

there was also a thread on letsrun a few daye ago on lisa koll and one poster said she would get between 50-75k and another poster said more like 500-750k.

letsrun has good information sometimes, but these number sound unreal, i mean i read asafa powell had his shoe contract cut to 300k, mccrory making more than powell who is running great in a glamour event, and making over double what asafa powell does, something seems wrong with this picture.
                      She probably got 375k over 4-6 years. No way did they give her that much per year.

Comment

Originally posted by polevaultpower
                        Originally posted by vip
                        That's the issue vaulter Jason Colwick of Rice has been wrestling with. He just graduated with a mechanical engineering degree and can make a lot more money with that than he can vaulting.
                        Given the state of the economy, Mr. Colwick is fortunate to have the option of going pro or a corporate job.

Comment

Working...
                        X