Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ¶USATF: wJT—Kara Patterson 218-8 (66.67) AR

My calculator gives me 218 feet 8.8031 inches. What is the exact rounding rule used in the throws, and does it differ from that used in the horizontal jumps (which are treated differently than the vertical jumps where the bar is set a specific number of centimeters rather than being rounded down to the nearest unit)?

Comment

So how does this compare to Kate Schmidt's 6932/227'5 with the old implement? Roughly
      equal, I'd say. (But I'll still consider Kate the 'converted' AR-holder ..for almost 38 years now.. !)

Comment

My guess is that 66.67 is definitely the better mark, especially for an extreme mark. Compare the Old Jav WR of 104.80m with the current WR, which is considered a better mark of 98.48. I think that the Old Jav was more prone to spurious very good marks (if you look at the distribution of long throws, it was much broader with the Old Jav than with the New Jav). Two conclusions for me: 1) on general grounds, the performance difference is greater than 69.32/66.67; 2) Kate's throw was an 'unusual' event and thus involved a fair degree of luck, not just skill.

Note that there was a thread on what WRs had the biggest margin over number 2 on the list, with the Jav being held up as the biggest gap until someone noted that the Old Jav gave a conversion that was not too much below Z's 98.48; this implies that the conversion is greater than 98.48/104.80 (by a couple percent) and thus, that 69.32 is 'worth' about 63-65m and probably less due to the 'unusual flight' nature of that particular throw.

Also, I think it says a lot about the US and this event (and probably others) that many of the throwers at the top are college kids (or just out). Apparently, few get a chance to mature for another 4-5 years.

Comment

I think it's a bad idea to draw comparisons between the men's and women's javelin. The men's javelin implement was altered in more ways and to a greater degree than the women's. This changed the flight more for the men's implement more than for the women's.

Comment

OK, I have been trumped here. dj, what about the variability of the women's Old Jav vs New Jav; is that aspect similar to the men, modestly diminished, more much smaller than for the men?

Comment

Working...
            X