Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: David Oliver 12.90 +1.6m/s

Originally posted by gh
    just chatted with David at the post-meet buffet... he's a hoot..... Keeps insisting he'd rather win races than get any records.

After seeing him in DM last week, there was "no doubt" in my mind that he'd AR (and maybe even WR) this week if the wind were right. He is so danged smooth and strong in the late stages of the race. wow.
    Odd cause his website is called project 12.85... :lol:

Comment

My observations now that I've seen the Pre tape.

1. His delts are ridiculous. He looks like he's wearing shoulder pads.
      2. He is a virtual R Kingdom clone. He's not running his race if he's not clipping hurdles (he might actually be slower if he wasn't clipping them, because he'd not be running aggressively enough!!)
      3. His snapdown is sick fast - that's where's he's making time (since they can't open up and sprint full out)
      4. His trail arm is like Foster's and Jackson's but not as far back, so he gets it in front of him again quicker. I thinker he'd be even faster if he carried it like Skeets (and most contemporary elites), but I sure wouldn't monkey with a not broken technique.
      5. He cocks his head at clearance, which seems to key him into the snapdown.
      6. He's so freakin big and strong that the Lius and Robles of the world would HAVE to be intimidated!!
      7. Getting the WR is extremely problematic, cuz the harder he tries the less efficient he becomes. At his level, you can't try to run faster or you'll crash. Shuffling faster is harder than it sounds. 12.85 is possible but it's a crap-shoot as to whether he'll get the conditions (maybe -0.4 wind) and track (not too fast) he needs.

Comment

I agree that part of his race is him hitting down hurdles. I don't think he will ever be the Robles' type hurdler with the exceptional and clean style that we have come to see. He is clearly more power and strength driven and in all honesty I don't think hitting 1 or 2 hurdles is affecting him that much. Heck he ran faster this week than last week with the approximate same amount of wind.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
          My observations now that I've seen the Pre tape.

1. His delts are ridiculous. He looks like he's wearing shoulder pads.
          2. He is a virtual R Kingdom clone. He's not running his race if he's not clipping hurdles (he might actually be slower if he wasn't clipping them, because he'd not be running aggressively enough!!)
          3. His snapdown is sick fast - that's where's he's making time (since they can't open up and sprint full out)
          4. His trail arm is like Foster's and Jackson's but not as far back, so he gets it in front of him again quicker. I thinker he'd be even faster if he carried it like Skeets (and most contemporary elites), but I sure wouldn't monkey with a not broken technique.
          6. He's so freakin big and strong that the Lius and Robles of the world would HAVE to be intimidated!!
          7. Getting the WR is extremely problematic, cuz the harder he tries the less efficient he becomes. At his level, you can't try to run faster or you'll crash. Shuffling faster is harder than it sounds. 12.85 is possible but it's a crap-shoot as to whether he'll get the conditions (maybe -0.4 wind) and track (not too fast) he needs.
          I agree that he does not really need to try to run fast just continue to execute properly, find the perfect rhythm (which he seems to have just about found!), and allow conditions (track, wind and his level of preparedness) to carry him through.

He does seem to get a bit more of a dive than say Robles likely due to Robles being a bit taller(?) (actually more relevant would be leg length) and, perhaps, related to your head comment.

Re: conditions I think he can certainly run very well with a headwind to keep from getting too close though he's had significant tailwinds (and legal) in his last two races and has obviously performed extremely well. I think if he has just a bit under or over 1.0 tailwind conditions would be perfect for him, the track surface notwithstanding.

In his start/acceleration to H1 he appears to have more push-like strides than most hurdlers-similar to a degree to 100m performers. I guess this is a product of his power levels (?) and at 6-2/6-3 he does not need to be "up" like a 6 footer would be in his approach to H1.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
            If you look at the photo in today's eTN, you'll see what I mean. He's got the head cock and the trail arm trailing (more than I saw on tape, which I most heartily disrecommend ( :wink: ) ) It also shows the high degree of 'dive' angle, which I never thought should be that pronounced, but AJ had it too, so obviously I might be a tad too critical of (y'think?). He gets up and down as fast as I've ever seen anyone do, Skeets being the best ever at it IMO.

Comment

Working...
            X