Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolt speaking last night in Lausanne

I attended the Usain Bolt event last night at the IMD business school in Lausanne. The audience was made up of “sport and business leaders” and the idea was to trace parallels between the worlds of track and business, with a particular focus on how individuals achievie full potential, blah, blah, blah.

In the end it proved to be far more interesting for a track fan than a business student. I thought I’d share with you some of the more interesting things said by Bolt and his manager, Ricky Simms.

For the first two years they worked together Simms focus was on arranging for Bolt to see the best Doctors and Chiropractors. Although not explicitly stated, Simms realised he wasn’t going to see an immediate return on the investment of his time (and presumably money) but clearly saw the potential.

A lot has been said about how Bolt has changed the atmosphere at meets and the interaction between the competitors. Interestingly, Simms also spoke about how this has carried over into the Technical Meetings where the agents ‘fight’ over lane draws. He said they are now a lot less aggressive and confrontational.

Bolt admitted that he stonewalls journos. He said two things which I’m sure contradicted what he told journalists at the time. My recollection is that going into to the 09 season he told everyone that he has not trained as hard as before the ’08 season. Last night he contradicted that and gave a further insight: he trained even harder and what motivated him was people saying that his OG win had been devalued by Tyson Gay not being in the final! He also said that he knew he was ready to break the 200m record in Berlin and all that stuff about being tired was a smokescreen.

His favourite events are Lausanne, Zurich and …………. Ostrava: all due to the proximity of the crowd. He particularly likes the long curve in Lausanne.

The report from Reuters of this event (see front page) correctly says that he’ll consider the 400 and LJ after 2012. What was interesting was that he expressed a clear preference for the LJ. My recollection is he said he’d probably do the LJ ………… and maybe the 400.

The funniest part of the evening was when a sports psychologist on the panel interviewing him tried to fit him into his own pet theories or simply demonstrated that he doesn’t get the guy. At one point when the guy asked why Bolt put pressure on himself by saying in advance that he was going to win things, Bolt replied that he was confusing him with someone else. Later he suggested that all great athletes love the training ……….. something that is clearly not true of Mr Bolt.

Lots of other good stuff was said about Bolt’s relationship with his Mum/Dad and coach, plus his charitable work and also his race preparation. Nothing new to the T&FN audience, so I won’t bore you with more details!

I can’t wait for tomorrow night!

Re: Bolt speaking last night in Lausanne

Thanks for the insights/observations.

Comment

A very interesting read, John....
      My heart is still in the Caribbean....

Comment

Hi John,

You still in CH?

If so link me up.

I will PM you my details! I watched the WCup SF with Bolt and Asafa last night. Lots of fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Infama
          Hi John,

You still in CH?

If so link me up.

I will PM you my details! I watched the WCup SF with Bolt and Asafa last night. Lots of fun.
          Bolt and Powell are probably on social networking sites now saying "Wow, guess who we watched the game with last night - ............" (I nearly gave away Infama's mild-mannered alter-ego!!).

Comment

Working...
          X