• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kai88
    • Feb 2009

Re: ¶World Junior w3000

Originally posted by gh
    Originally posted by Kai88
    I have to admit i don't understand the hype surrounding Hasay gets. This coming from a non US perspective.

She certainly doesn't seem any better than the bunch of GBR junior distance runners we have had the past couple of years.

Gorecka (1994) 1500m - 4.18, 3000m - 9.18
    Georgia Peel (1994) 1500m - 4.16

Just to name a couple.
    I think you're confusing "hype" with people being interested in their own. Other than the few Bolts of the world, who transcend mere nationalism, people generally want to talk about those for whom they have some tie, be it nation, school, whatever. This is predominantly a U.S. site, so expect American athletes to always get more chatter than their talent might dictate in cold word of logic.
    But even on these American boards there are quite a few threads dedicated to Jordan Hasay, not many other junior athletes seem to get the attention that she does.
    From an outsiders view there just seem to be many more young talented athletes in the US who have achieved a lot more that don't seem to get as much attention. Perhaps there are quite a few posters on here directly associated to Miss Hasay i don't know, don't follow the US high school/college system that closely TBH.

Comment

• Dutra
      • Oct 2005

But even on these American boards there are quite a few threads dedicated to Jordan Hasay, not many other junior athletes seem to get the attention that she does.
      From an outsiders view there just seem to be many more young talented athletes in the US who have achieved a lot more that don't seem to get as much attention. Perhaps there are quite a few posters on here directly associated to Miss Hasay i don't know, don't follow the US high school/college system that closely TBH.
      Some athletes capture the imagination of the public moreso than others and sometimes for reasons which aren't completely clear.

Hasay ran some great times earlier in her career and has run well enough not to fall off the radar as having the potential to do much more.

She also is from the West Coast and attends Oregon. Two factors which might explain a natural bias towards those paying attention to her.

Comment

• duckedup
        • May 2009

Originally posted by gh
        I have to admit i don't understand the hype surrounding Hasay gets. This coming from a non US perspective.

She certainly doesn't seem any better than the bunch of GBR junior distance runners we have had the past couple of years.

Just to name a couple.
        I think you're confusing "hype" with people being interested in their own. Other than the few Bolts of the world, who transcend mere nationalism, people generally want to talk about those for whom they have some tie, be it nation, school, whatever. This is predominantly a U.S. site, so expect American athletes to always get more chatter than their talent might dictate in cold word of logic.
        i would love for you to name me these "numerous" athletes who have achieved in her career what jordan has. and by career im meaning pre high school even. she ran 16:40ish on the roads at 12 years old. she's been breaking records of decker, garritson, ect for years and unlike many other athletes that she has beat and been beaten by she has managed to stay healthy and stay RELEVANT on the xc/t&f scene for years. where is annie st. geme? how about laurynne chetelet (i know she transferred and is sitting out the year, but still)? how about her biggest foes from her senior year brasnovan and kroeger? the fact she went through 3 ROUGH full seasons of xc/track at the college level at one of the most if not the most competitive distance school in the nation and absolutely succeeded in every season should be enough for those to understand she is something special. she, like nicole blood, and brianna j (whom i am not sure still runs) were 3 of those 7/8th grade phenoms that had eyes on them from 12 years old on, and some succeed some don't.

EDIT: and because this is mainly a US site so obviously you're going to see a lot about her. IMO jordan is the greatest high school distance runner of all time. 2 time national xc champ multiple CA state titles, numerous age group/grade records. what more do people want. you'll get your fill this xc season i hope

Comment

• Master Po
          • Oct 2005
          • north coast USA

I certainly appreciate Hasay's accomplishments, and also appreciate her enthusiasm for the sport. And I'm happy she's survived, so far, the pressures of being a young athlete with a lot of attention (relative to her sport) focused on her. As for her future prospects, my magic 8-ball says what it so often says, "Check back later."

With all that noted, and acknowledging that I have not followed all things Hasay-related, I have this question, prompted by the previous post: Which of Decker's records has Hasay broken? I did not know she had done so. Thanks in advance for any info.

Comment

• Jon
            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by duckedup
            From an outsiders view there just seem to be many more young talented athletes in the US who have achieved a lot more that don't seem to get as much attention.
            i would love for you to name me these "numerous" athletes who have achieved in her career what jordan has.
            As Kai88 suggested, I'm just going to give an outsider's (i.e. non-US) view. Us outsiders don't really 'get' the whole high school records thing, so how about we look at achievements we can all relate to - by that I mean junior records (both US and world) and medals (at world youth and world junior championships). Hasay has a world youth silver medal.

So for starters (and to save time I'll only list US athletes currently in Hasay's age bracket, born '90-'92), how about:
            Prezel Hardy (WY gold)
            Ashton Purvis (2 x WY bronze)
            Kori Carter (WY silver)
            William Wynne (WY gold, WY silver)
            Wayne Davis (WY gold)
            Ryan Crouser (WY gold, WY silver)
            Alex Collatz (WY silver)
            Booker Nunley (WJ silver)
            Marquise Goodwin (WJ gold)
            Conor McCullough (WJ silver)
            Chalonda Goodman (WY silver)
            Julian Purvis (WY gold)
            Reggie Wyatt (WY silver)
            Dalilah Muhammad (WY gold)
            Will Claye (AJR in TJ)
            Jeffery Demps (AJR in 100)
            D'Angelo Cherry (AJR in 60)
            Curtis Beach (AJR in jDec)
            Natalie Willer (AJR in PV)
            Christian Taylor (WY gold, WY bronze and one of the most mind-bogglingly talented young athletes I've seen in a LONG while)

Like JohnG said in a previous thread, any hype/attention an athlete receives is good for the sport, so I'm not questioning why Hasay gets so much. It's more why aren't these other high-achieving athletes getting as much attention as Hasay?

Comment

• gh
              Administrator
              • Oct 2005
              • west of Westeros

Originally posted by Jon
              ....Us outsiders don't really 'get' the whole high school records thing, so how about we look at achievements we can all relate to - by that I mean junior records (both US and world) and medals (at world youth and world junior championships). ...
              Here's the problem in a nutshell: as soon as you can "we can all relate to" and mention Junior and Youth meets in the same sentence you've lost the bulk of the American audience. Those meets mean as little to them as the high school does to you. It's a clash of two wildly different cultures that has little common ground.

Comment

• Flumpy
                • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Dutra
                Some athletes capture the imagination of the public moreso than others and sometimes for reasons which aren't completely clear.

Hasay ran some great times earlier in her career and has run well enough not to fall off the radar as having the potential to do much more.

She also is from the West Coast and attends Oregon. Two factors which might explain a natural bias towards those paying attention to her.
                I think being white, blonde and beautiful might have more to do with it.

Comment

• mojo
                  • Oct 2005
                  • at the finish line freezing my butt off

I certainly would not put Hasay on my fav athletes list (not even close) but I really like ker. I don't think it is because she is white. :shock:
                  I like her when I hear her talk-she is so articulate and full of enthusiasm. Maybe I know her better than some others because of the attention she gets which could be because she is white and cute. I don't dismiss the notion that she gets a disproportionate amount of press.

I think the people who think she is overhyped talk about her as much, if not more, than her fans.

Comment

• duckedup
                    • May 2009

Originally posted by Jon
                    Originally posted by duckedup
                    From an outsiders view there just seem to be many more young talented athletes in the US who have achieved a lot more that don't seem to get as much attention.
                    i would love for you to name me these "numerous" athletes who have achieved in her career what jordan has.
                    As Kai88 suggested, I'm just going to give an outsider's (i.e. non-US) view. Us outsiders don't really 'get' the whole high school records thing, so how about we look at achievements we can all relate to - by that I mean junior records (both US and world) and medals (at world youth and world junior championships). Hasay has a world youth silver medal.

So for starters (and to save time I'll only list US athletes currently in Hasay's age bracket, born '90-'92), how about:
                    Prezel Hardy (WY gold)
                    Ashton Purvis (2 x WY bronze)
                    Kori Carter (WY silver)
                    William Wynne (WY gold, WY silver)
                    Wayne Davis (WY gold)
                    Ryan Crouser (WY gold, WY silver)
                    Alex Collatz (WY silver)
                    Booker Nunley (WJ silver)
                    Marquise Goodwin (WJ gold)
                    Conor McCullough (WJ silver)
                    Chalonda Goodman (WY silver)
                    Julian Purvis (WY gold)
                    Reggie Wyatt (WY silver)
                    Dalilah Muhammad (WY gold)
                    Will Claye (AJR in TJ)
                    Jeffery Demps (AJR in 100)
                    D'Angelo Cherry (AJR in 60)
                    Curtis Beach (AJR in jDec)
                    Natalie Willer (AJR in PV)
                    Christian Taylor (WY gold, WY bronze and one of the most mind-bogglingly talented young athletes I've seen in a LONG while)

Like JohnG said in a previous thread, any hype/attention an athlete receives is good for the sport, so I'm not questioning why Hasay gets so much. It's more why aren't these other high-achieving athletes getting as much attention as Hasay?
                    if you think those athletes haven't gotten their due, then that is just your own issue. when demps broke the HS record a couple years back he was talked abouit for months. same with wyatt after the 300h record...and don't get me started on curtis beach. come up with another list of "unforgotten" young athletes everyone seems to be ignoring.

Comment

• carlosreyes2k
                      • May 2006
                      • Massachusetts

Originally posted by Flumpy
                      Originally posted by Dutra
                      Some athletes capture the imagination of the public more so than others and sometimes for reasons which aren't completely clear.

I think being white, blonde and beautiful might have more to do with it.

Egads this discussion turned into 'social comment' rather quickly.
                      Yes she's a cutie pie but there have been plenty of those in our sport.
                      And her appeal has nothing to do with her complexion.
                      There have been plenty of those too.

She's been brought up properly, is gracious, intelligent, genuinely enthusiastic and respectful.
                      Plus she has a ton of talent and always respects to her competitors.
                      And how many times have we heard her say "it's an honor..."?

As for the lack of 'break-through-times' she's had those in college too. But keep in mind her body type is no where near mature at this point. She'll break 4 mins and probably in college.

C'mon folks, my suggestion is just sit back, relax and marvel at the bevy of young talented young Ladies AND young men the U.S. has coming up. Did I just read A.J. ran a 3:36? He's turned into a gracious gentleman and team player now. Remember the ego HE had in H.S.? Hehehe... That man Vin has a way doesn't he?

Comment

• 4:24-miler
                        • Oct 2005
                        • San Jose, CA

Originally posted by carlosreyes2k

As for the lack of 'break-through-times' she's had those in college too. But keep in mind her body type is no where near mature at this point. She'll break 4 mins and probably in college.
                        I've read recently that she's grown almost three inches and is now listed at 5'4". So she isn't the tiny little girl we saw in high school. I'm sure she's gained quite a bit of weight with the growth spurt. Perhaps her lack of so-called break-through times is a result of her getting used to her body changes. I agree, though, she'll drop her times significantly in college. I think her peak will come in her mid 20's which is still quite a bit a ways.

Comment

• gh
                          Administrator
                          • Oct 2005
                          • west of Westeros

Originally posted by gh

Just to name a couple.
                          At the risk of beating a dead horse a bit more, let me add this, which comes from a newspaper profile of USATF's Youth 3000 champ (14):

<<Clare Carroll

14 years old, born July 17, 1996 at Stanford Hospital

Family: One sister, Shannon; parents Kim and Paul; dog Bode; cat Beezie

Who is your favorite athlete? Steve Prefontaine

What is your best event: Track 3,000 meter

What is your least favorite event: 400 meter

What is your running goal? Olympic gold medal

If you could run against any athlete, past or present, who would it be? Jordan Hasay

Do you have any pre-event rituals? I go to dinner at Chili's and get a Cajun Chicken Pasta every night before a big race.

What is your favorite movie? The Proposal
                          What is your favorite quote? "To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift."--Steve Prefontaine

So here's a "typical" U.S. kid, barely started in the sport and already Hasay (and Pre!) are core to her view of the sport. It's the kind of "cultural" thing that won't go away.

Comment

• gh
                            Administrator
                            • Oct 2005
                            • west of Westeros

Trivia question: Jordan Hasay is not the fastest Oregon frosh ever in the 3000. Who is?

Comment

• Bruce Kritzler
                              • Oct 2005

Hayes?

Comment

• AS
                                • Oct 2005
                                • Home in the host city of 1956 Olympics

Originally posted by gh
                                Trivia question: Jordan Hasay is not the fastest Oregon frosh ever in the 3000. Who is?
                                Galen Rupp?

Comment

Working...
                                X