X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jon
    replied
    Re: Monaco DL—w3000 (final event)

Most ranking stats sites I frequent use "+" for intermediate splits and "e" for estimates.

From guidance notes on: http://www.gbrathletics.com/intro.htm
    "...e Estimated
    + Intermediate time
    ..."

Peter Larsson uses the same:
    http://www.alltime-athletics.com/mhmaraok.htm
    "...+ = en route in race at longer distance..."

Leave a comment:

replied

I was under the impression that "e" was en-route to a longer distance.

Leave a comment:

• 26mi235
    replied

Originally posted by Jon
    But if it's a conversion, it should be listed on rankings as "8:31.08e" (for estimate) instead of "8:31.08+" (for a split).
    I believe that "+" is what TFN uses for converted times.

Leave a comment:

• Jon
    replied

But if it's a conversion, it should be listed on rankings as "8:31.08e" (for estimate) instead of "8:31.08+" (for a split).

Leave a comment:

• 26mi235
    replied

Originally posted by James Fields
    Some internet and reference book research explains the suggestion of an 8:31.08 time for 3000m by Regina Jacobs on 12 August 1999 -- in a "mixed" run during an "all-comers" meet at Los Gatos, California.

That mixed (men and women) run distance was two miles for which a 9:11.97 is reported for Jacobs. The conversion formula at page 61 of "The Little Red Book" could produce 8:31.08, suggesting Jacobs ran the distance between between 3k and 2miles in about 41 seconds -- which would not resemble a typical last half lap for Jacobs. However, a "Pacing Table" at pp. 62-63 of the same book suggests 69 seconds per lap for a 9:12 two -mile or 34.5 seconds for a half lap -- about 8:37.47 at 3000m.

But conversions are not true splits with timers at the intermediate point -- and a mixed-gender race in an All-Comers meet should not displace a great Diamond League performance.
    By the way, Jacobs recognized performances of the late 1990s can be reviewed at
    http://www.iaaf.org/athletes/biograp...848/index.html
    1500/mile conversions are common and standing on the notion that you take the 1500 split of a mile to get the 1500 'mark' miss the point. TFN has long done conversions (see the book cited above) for event marks (especially common with high school marks made at the internationally devoid 1600m). The 3000/2-mile conversion is the same (8%, although some suggest a marginally smaller 7.9x%).

Leave a comment:

• James Fields
    replied

Some internet and reference book research explains the suggestion of an 8:31.08 time for 3000m by Regina Jacobs on 12 August 1999 -- in a "mixed" run during an "all-comers" meet at Los Gatos, California.

That mixed (men and women) run distance was two miles for which a 9:11.97 is reported for Jacobs. The conversion formula at page 61 of "The Little Red Book" could produce 8:31.08, suggesting Jacobs ran the distance between between 3k and 2miles in about 41 seconds -- which would not resemble a typical last half lap for Jacobs. However, a "Pacing Table" at pp. 62-63 of the same book suggests 69 seconds per lap for a 9:12 two -mile or 34.5 seconds for a half lap -- about 8:37.47 at 3000m.

But conversions are not true splits with timers at the intermediate point -- and a mixed-gender race in an All-Comers meet should not displace a great Diamond League performance.
    By the way, Jacobs recognized performances of the late 1990s can be reviewed at
    http://www.iaaf.org/athletes/biograp...848/index.html

Leave a comment:

• ExCoastRanger
    replied

" Ms Jamal may have not be in a speed session of her training cycle and may have had a heavily strength-endurance base she's been working off of. 4'06 is not indicative of her best, it was simply the reflection of how she adapted to racing following training and travelling."

It's possible the same holds for Robury, who in the past couple of seasons seems to have focused on strength for a longer cycle in aiming for a late-season peak.

Leave a comment:

replied

Originally posted by nevetsllim
    Originally posted by Peter Michaelson
    IAAF Women's Outdoor Scoring Tables

1204 pts = 8:31.37 = 4:00.24 = 14:41.56
    Sounds about right to me.

Weird how Jamal suddenly runs 8:29 having been stuck at 4:06-4:10 for 1500m all year!
    There's nothing slightly "weird" about this. Ms Jamal may have not be in a speed session of her training cycle and may have had a heavily strength-endurance base she's been working off of. 4'06 is not indicative of her best, it was simply the reflection of how she adapted to racing following training and travelling.

Leave a comment:

• ed gee
    replied

Considering that she never actually ran 8;31 for 3000 (and her history), perhaps the mark should be ignored by all.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied

Originally posted by James Fields
    "Rowbury now No. 3 American ever:

8:25.83 Mary Slaney (Athletics West) 9/07/85
    8:31.08+ Regina Jacobs (Mizuno) 8/12/99
    8:31.38 Shannon Rowbury (Nike) 7/22/10

Peter Larsson's "All-Time" best marks list (not curently showing 8:31.08 by Jacobs) has Rowbury number 2 USA best-ever at 3000m. I don't feel qualified to correct Mr. Larsson, but this forum has plenty of experts who seem unlikely to be so reluctant. A change may have already been made even as I write.
    He probably ignores the mark because it's a 2M conversion and/or it was made in a mixed-sex race.

Leave a comment:

• mump boy
    replied

Originally posted by nevetsllim

Weird how Jamal suddenly runs 8:29 having been stuck at 4:06-4:10 for 1500m all year!
    14.41 looks awfully slow to me compared to the other times

Leave a comment:

• drbop
    replied

Rowbury now the top non-drug cheating US woman at 3000.

Leave a comment:

• nevetsllim
    replied

Leave a comment:

• James Fields
    replied

"Rowbury now No. 3 American ever:

8:25.83 Mary Slaney (Athletics West) 9/07/85
    8:31.08+ Regina Jacobs (Mizuno) 8/12/99
    8:31.38 Shannon Rowbury (Nike) 7/22/10

Peter Larsson's "All-Time" best marks list (not curently showing 8:31.08 by Jacobs) has Rowbury number 2 USA best-ever at 3000m. I don't feel qualified to correct Mr. Larsson, but this forum has plenty of experts who seem unlikely to be so reluctant. A change may have already been made even as I write.

Leave a comment:

• Peter Michaelson
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X