Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Juniors, Friday

Women's 1500m heats about to start. Should both Ethiopians (Tizita Bogale and Asmerawork Bekele) get through to the final, they have a good chance of going 1-2 and getting back on terms with Kenya in the medal table. USA's Rachel Schneider goes in the first heat, Hasay is in the second and Britain's Laura Weightman is in the third.

Re: World Juniors, Friday

Hasay, who has drawn the easiest heat, finished second behind WY 800m silver medallist Ciara Mageean (one year younger) 4:16.73 to 4:16.74. First heat was much tougher - top three ran 4:12.9-4:13. Hasay would have needed to run a PR simply to qualify for the next round.

Chepkwemoy wins the final heat (4:11.42) from Terzic and Weightman. Bekele was nowhere near as strong as expected and was 10 seconds off her best, but will progress as a fastest loser.

Comment

Assume you mean women's medal table, as overall Kenya have 4 golds to Ethiopia's 1... :wink:

Comment

Hehe, perhaps 'get back on terms' wasn't quite the phrase I was looking for. I basically meant that if Ethiopia were to take gold here, they'd close the deficit on Kenya and could level with them by the end of the champs. Mind you, after the w1500 the only other endurance events left are the m3000SC and m5000 and I'd be surprised if Kenya didn't win the 'chase. Looks like they're going to come out on top at this champs.

Comment

Hasay is realistic about her chances. In the mixed zone after the race, she said, "I'd like to get a personal record, maybe run somewhere around 4:10. I think it's a great opportunity. I feel blessed to be in the final."

Comment

Americans seem to be having a better today, with USAnians qualifying in every event so far. Looking forward to hearing about McCullough's qualifying and could the US finally win a medal in walking with Trevor Barron? I just want the athletes to do well and get PRs.

Comment

In the 110 hurdles, Fuller and Fennell both advanced, but neither looked convincing....

Barbadian Swift didn't look bad, though. Could he emulate his compatriot Ryan Brathwaite?
              My heart is still in the Caribbean....

Comment

Originally posted by dupontred
                and could the US finally win a medal in walking with Trevor Barron?
                7th with a NJR. Might put the U.S back on the race walking map in the future though. :shock:

Comment

Is Hulda Thorsteinsdóttir, who qualified for the wPV final, by any chance a relation of the older Icelandic Pole Vaulter who was a pretty good vaulter and was competing up until a couple of years ago?

Comment

Originally posted by shivfan
                    In the 110 hurdles, Fuller and Fennell both advanced, but neither looked convincing....

Barbadian Swift didn't look bad, though. Could he emulate his compatriot Ryan Brathwaite?
                    Also Caleb Cross, an Arkansas Razorback, also qualified for the next round in a new personal best time - 13.56.

Comment

Originally posted by Rineanna
                      Is Hulda Thorsteinsdóttir, who qualified for the wPV final, by any chance a relation of the older Icelandic Pole Vaulter who was a pretty good vaulter and was competing up until a couple of years ago?
                      I think you might be thinking of Thórey Edda Elísdóttir (5th in '04 OG), but they have different surnames. Loads of Icelandic surnames end in "dottir".

Comment

Originally posted by Jon
                        Originally posted by Rineanna
                        I think you might be thinking of Thórey Edda Elísdóttir (5th in '04 OG), but they have different surnames. Loads of Icelandic surnames end in "dottir".
                        If I understand Icelandic surnames, there is as little rhyme and reason as in the Kenyan. I think, your son would be Jonson, your daughter Jondottir, regardless of your surname.
                        "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                        by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Pego's got it right. Hulda is neither related to Vala Flosadóttir, bronze medallist from Sydney, nor to Thórey Edda Elísdóttir. The latter is, however, her coach.

Comment

"dottir" means daughter in english.

Everyone on Iceland are named dottir, say if your fathers name ar Johan, and you are a girl.

Your name would be Johansdottir

Comment

Heptathlon scores after five events:
                              Schippers 4494
                              Gambetta 4420
                              Salander 4106
                              Udelhoven 4064 + 43.89 jav
                              Sadeiko 4044 + 45.02 jav
                              Krizsan 3982 + 42.95 jav
                              Thorsteinsdottir 3975 + 49.47 jav
                              Ikauniece 3871 + 49.04 jav