Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Diamonds already clinched

Z├╝rich's men's 200 (Walter Dix) and women's 100 (Carmelita Jeter) won't have anything to do with the top DL prize, as both of those have clinched the event already. I'm guessing not what the organizers want to see! And there are several events that can (and may well) be clinched in Stockholm next week.

See link on front page

(as noted in that link, there are countless scenarios left unexplored)

Re: 2 Diamonds already clinched

Who would've picked Dix to get a diamond at the start of the season?
    My heart is still in the Caribbean....

Comment

This thing is going to be re-done every year like Golf's Fed-Ex Cup. Until we get a system where competition in these things are mandatory and just not when they feel it or fits their schedule, it's always going to be like this. The Diamond League has been an epic flop in my opinion. It's really no different than the Golden League, and there has been no spectacular matchups that the public was sold. When this brain child was in the works I thought this was going to be amazing, like World Championship type stuff every few weeks. This has been nothing but a hot fart.
      http://img2.pict.com/c9/f0/bf/2845608/0/b.jpg

Comment

Co-signed

Comment

I'm tempted to agree with JWiz. Asafa ran a race or two in non-DL meets, and skipped at least one DL meet, which made no sense to me. He said before the start of the season that he wanted to win a diamond but either he or his management didn't seem to get his scheduling right in order to maximize his ability to do so.
          Regards,
          toyracer

Comment

Only if athletes are healthy should they be required to race all of the races.

Comment

Where did the following matchups go:

Defar - Dibaba = 0
              Bolt - Powell, Gay = 0(ok perhaps not possible to get all 3 but how often have we had 2 of them)
              VCB - Felix = 1 (due I guess to VCB being with adidas)
              Fraser - VCB, Stewart, Jeter = 1 (not likely to happen now)
              Rudisha - Kaki = 1
              Robles - Oliver = 1
              Thorkildsen - Pitkamaki = 3 (all duds)

You would think the Diamond League folks would push the Defar - Dibaba duel. The VCB - Felix duel to repeat NY. The Rudisha - Kaki duel given that Rudisha is almost ready to attack the world record.

Comment

is brussells still going to have going to have as has been reported?
                1. bolt vs powell vs t. gay
                2. rudisha vs kaki
                i am still counting on the season ending extremely well with zurich and brussells the 2 best meets still to come.

Comment

Originally posted by Alucard

You would think the Diamond League folks would push the Defar - Dibaba duel......
                  Lots of luck with that one. They haven't met outside a championship race (which includes WAF) in the 5000 since '06, and in the 3000 since '04!

They apparently don't like each other much.

Comment

Are there rules viewable on the internet for who qualifies for the Diamond league "finals" (if thats what they are called) in Zurich and Brussels?

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                      Originally posted by Alucard

You would think the Diamond League folks would push the Defar - Dibaba duel......
                      Lots of luck with that one. They haven't met outside a championship race (which includes WAF) in the 5000 since '06, and in the 3000 since '04!

They apparently don't like each other much.
                      they are friends, in fact meseret defar even attended tirunesh dibaba and silishi sihine's wedding.
                      i think there was even a picture of them dancing and laughing in a track and field news a little after their wedding.

i believe they have raced each other 29 times,
                      scoreboard
                      defar-5
                      t. dibaba-2
                      defar-12
                      t. dibaba-10

also both are planning on running the 5k/10k double in daegu 2011 and london 2012.

i would like to add they are such great competitors they will race anyone in a 5k and that would include shaquille' oneal, dwight howard, desean jackson, chris johnson anybody.

Comment

my mind is on shaquille o'neal and friends entering the track world
                        we may not get to see t. gay vs bolt
                        but we may get to see bolt vs some of the fastest rugby players in australia.
                        t. gay vs shaquille o' neal is being talked about in the story on the front page.
                        how about defar vs oprah in a 5k
                        dibaba vs obama in a 10k
                        how about a checkers match between michael phelps and asafa powell.

of course i am kidding, but as it relates to the discussion, why are the top stars in track talking about racing people from other sports who offer no challenge whatsoever, (bolt vs rugby players, nfl players etc.) t. gay vs o'neal, dwight howard, chris johnson etc). WHILE AT THE SAME TIME not racing people offering a real challenge like bolt vs t. gay vs powell. rudisha vs kaki, basically the races track fans want to see.

i am frustrated with these stupid gimmick ideas.

Comment

The Diamond League is not perfect, but IMHO it's better than the Golden League....

I thought it a bit ridiculous that an athlete had to win all of a certain amount of races to get a 'golden' prize.

Comment

Originally posted by shivfan
                            The Diamond League is not perfect, but IMHO it's better than the Golden League....

I thought it a bit ridiculous that an athlete had to win all of a certain amount of races to get a 'golden' prize.
                            So now, you only have to win some of your races to get a "diamond prize." :roll:
                            http://img2.pict.com/c9/f0/bf/2845608/0/b.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by JWiz
                              Originally posted by shivfan

So now, you only have to win some of your races to get a "diamond prize." :roll:
                              Here was my problem with the Golden League....

Supposing Jeter wins the women's 100 in the first meet, and then VCB wins the second. As a result, there is no further interest in the other meets, as far as the golden jackpot is concerned. Now, because there is a rivalry, it's more competitive.

It's like decided not to give a bonus to the world number one in tennis because Federer won the Australian and Nadal the French. Suddenly, winning Wimbledon and the US is not important.

For that reason, I find the Diamond League more interesting....

But, like others, I would like to see more head-to-heads.

Comment

Working...
                              X