Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2 Diamonds already clinched

I can't believe that I'm posting here with a bunch of freaking communist babies! Athletes do not owe us match ups! Run for less money? Run hurt? Why would ANY true fan want to watch Bolt v an obviously unfit Gay? Why? I would rather not see Bolt run again this year than watch another uncompetitive Bolt race that will not yield a record. IF he wasn't so great for our sport I would sit him down and get him 100% ready for Daegu/London. Other than that, I want the "jaw-dropping" Bolt (none of this ordinary Bolt).

Match ups will not bring fans racing back to track and field because most casual fans couldn't identify the athletes who would comprise the top match ups in the first place! We get caught in the trap of looking for the "marquee match up" when Lowe v. Vlasic is soooo much better than Vlasic v. Friedrich was likely to be. Oliver steps up as Liu and Robles go down; Gonzales resurrects Jamaican 400m running; Alicia Johnson and her American w800 friends; Wheating, Wheating, Wheating!!! Tamgho! Kaki! Rudisha! The womens 100h/400h!!!!! Every one of you complaining knows better! You are NOT the average fan; these are incredible match-ups and they are competitive - something Bolt v anybody has yet to be. There are a lot of great stories and it shows that there is much more to track and field than the "big name" ambassadors. We just need to publicize it better so that we are not relying on a few "ambassadors" to drive our brand. Our brand is competition; it's anyone can win (or nearly win); it's the surprise, the underdogs ... and its the UNBELIEVABLE! The track season has a narrative, in fact 100's of them, we just have to be better at crafting, packaging and delivering that narrative and the "big match-ups" will take place every meet.

My point: stop your yapping! This season has seen PLENTY of great track and field. Rant over.

Comment

Originally posted by shivfan

Supposing Jeter wins the women's 100 in the first meet, and then VCB wins the second. As a result, there is no further interest in the other meets, as far as the golden jackpot is concerned. Now, because there is a rivalry, it's more competitive.

It's like decided not to give a bonus to the world number one in tennis because Federer won the Australian and Nadal the French. Suddenly, winning Wimbledon and the US is not important.

For that reason, I find the Diamond League more interesting....

But, like others, I would like to see more head-to-heads.
      True, but the current format does nothing to drive the need for competition. To borrow a term I hate using, all they did was put lipstick on a pig. The point system and format will need to be redone constantly, like when Tiger Woods didn't even need to play the final event of the first Fed-Ex Cup. I think my biggest issue is that there needs to be more venues, more races, not one big meet every month or every two weeks. Let's have a big meet every week. You're telling me these athletes couldn't do it? Basketball players play an 82 game schedule, soccer players play 90 minutes at a time every week. Bolt works for less than 10 seconds every month or so. I want a more defined standings system, hell even through in a playoff at the end of the year. My main point is, there needs to be more. This sport will never leave the crap hole if I'm only hearing about it once a month.
      http://img2.pict.com/c9/f0/bf/2845608/0/b.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by 7-sided
        I can't believe that I'm posting here with a bunch of freaking communist babies! Athletes do not owe us match ups! Run for less money? Run hurt? Why would ANY true fan want to watch Bolt v an obviously unfit Gay? Why? I would rather not see Bolt run again this year than watch another uncompetitive Bolt race that will not yield a record. IF he wasn't so great for our sport I would sit him down and get him 100% ready for Daegu/London. Other than that, I want the "jaw-dropping" Bolt (none of this ordinary Bolt).

Match ups will not bring fans racing back to track and field because most casual fans couldn't identify the athletes who would comprise the top match ups in the first place! We get caught in the trap of looking for the "marquee match up" when Lowe v. Vlasic is soooo much better than Vlasic v. Friedrich was likely to be. Oliver steps up as Liu and Robles go down; Gonzales resurrects Jamaican 400m running; Alicia Johnson and her American w800 friends; Wheating, Wheating, Wheating!!! Tamgho! Kaki! Rudisha! The womens 100h/400h!!!!! Every one of you complaining knows better! You are NOT the average fan; these are incredible match-ups and they are competitive - something Bolt v anybody has yet to be. There are a lot of great stories and it shows that there is much more to track and field than the "big name" ambassadors. We just need to publicize it better so that we are not relying on a few "ambassadors" to drive our brand. Our brand is competition; it's anyone can win (or nearly win); it's the surprise, the underdogs ... and its the UNBELIEVABLE! The track season has a narrative, in fact 100's of them, we just have to be better at crafting, packaging and delivering that narrative and the "big match-ups" will take place every meet.

My point: stop your yapping! This season has seen PLENTY of great track and field. Rant over.

Well, call me a communist. The marketing has been poor, the "brand" is a spit in the face of hardcore fans, the meets are too few and far in between, and yes I don't care if Bolt isn't 100%, I don't expect to see a record every single race. T&F is not some illicit drug you take for a fleeting high.

Comment

What disappoints me is that, having created the brand, each individual meeting has become rather characterless. It's good that each meeting has a wide range of events on the program, but in turn that has made each meet "interchangeable", with less individuality.
          Will Brussels have a 10000m this year, or does this detract from the corporate image?

Comment

Brussels hasn't had a 10,000 in several years now. The event is virtually extinct at the invitational level.

Comment

Last year is the only year without a 10000.

Comment

Originally posted by JWiz
                ...T&F is not some illicit drug you take for a fleeting high.
                Actually it is. The viewing public has buried track and field so deep in the recesses of broadcast legitimacy that only the fiends are pushed to supplement their fix through bootleg sites and internet work arounds. For all practical purposes track and field is an illicit drug and the high is just as fleeting - from one week/performance to the next.

Comment

Originally posted by 7-sided
                  Originally posted by JWiz
                  ...T&F is not some illicit drug you take for a fleeting high.
                  Actually it is. The viewing public has buried track and field so deep in the recesses of broadcast legitimacy that only the fiends are pushed to supplement their fix through bootleg sites and internet work arounds. For all practical purposes track and field is an illicit drug and the high is just as fleeting - from one week/performance to the next.
                  Damn, you're right. But there's the problem.

sigh...how depressing.

Comment

"Here was my problem with the Golden League....

Supposing Jeter wins the women's 100 in the first meet, and then VCB wins the second. As a result, there is no further interest in the other meets, as far as the golden jackpot is concerned"

SHIV - the problem with the diamond league is that all jeter has to do is run in all the meets, which she has done. vcb has participated in 2 i think. how can that be interesting? I see no excitement whatsover in the events that are still close such as women 200m, 400m and 100mH. I bet you if there was a race to a million dollars in these events the media and us fans would still be excited. The diamond thingy just aint working.Furthermore, their failure to capitalize on vcb - felix which i am hoping we will see more of in Stockholm and London and Rudisha - Kaki has been a big surprise

Comment

Do you guys think about the stuff you write sometimes?
                      There needs to be more meets? would understand if you said there needs to be more in the US but there are plenty of meets. I have had one hurdler run 4 meets in 8 days and 3 meets in 8 days on 2 separate occasions this summer alone. There are PLENTY of meets. We do need morein the US.
                      As far as the 100 is concerned for the men. No they cannot do it every week. Not at the highest level. We could see them every week but it would be at less than optimal levels. It is too ballistic for the big three to physically survive. Around ten flat-9.9x level yes, but faster than that and we will see MORE injuries. We already see them now and you guys keep forgetting these guys are hurt every summer. All you remember is they didnt go head to head. When healthy these guys have lined up plenty of times over the years. and we have seen some special results. Stop taking records for granted and please stop thinking 9.7x is easy to do, even for them. Its like watching the 1500 and the top 5 run 3:27-28.xx every week.

Victories are a great tie breaker and I think the points system of the diamond league needs to be revamped. Oliver has the diamond league locked up already.
                      I think the league starts too early. May is pushing it for points earning races. Requires the athletes to be at certain level long before their nationals and qualifying meets. Creates free point situations.
                      The other issue with the league is how we are determining who is in the lanes. Early on it is all about what the promoters want and pick. So if you are an up and comer you have no chance at getting in the early meets. These meets should have rounds for the shorter races due to the limitations in lanes.

Comment

Oliver is a "lock" but he doesn't have it mathematically clinched yet. He has 16 points, Wilson 6. If Wilson wins out he gets 18, so Oliver needs 2 points total in the last two races (he wins the tiebreaker).

Comment

Working...
                        X